• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange effects in Denon AVR-X4700

NickoP

Greetings!
I am new to Denon and Audyssey Multeq XT32, coming from years of different models Yamaha's receivers. I am witnessing some strange effects in my Denon RVA-X4700H based system, which were not present in any Yamaha receiver I owned in the past. Maybe some of you folks will shed light on these:
  • Applying any sound mode makes the sound louder, maybe by about 3dB, compare to direct mode. This is regardless of the input format: for example, if the input format is DD and the mode applied is DD, the effect is still there.
  • Consider a dialog going on. At certain moment, when a background music starts, the dialog volume (only!) drops down, maybe also by about 3dB, and then gradually, within 2-3 seconds, returns to its initial level. This happens only when a sound mode is applied, never in Direct. I tried turning ON/OFF different Audyssey features without any success to catch which one is causing the effect.
I guess these two effects are somehow related and that is the reason I am posting them together.

Thank you all!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
  • Applying any sound mode makes the sound louder, maybe by about 3dB, compare to direct mode. This is regardless of the input format: for example, if the input format is DD and the mode applied is DD, the effect is still there.
  • Consider a dialog going on. At certain moment, when a background music starts, the dialog volume (only!) drops down, maybe also by about 3dB, and then gradually, within 2-3 seconds, returns to its initial level. This happens only when a sound mode is applied, never in Direct. I tried turning ON/OFF different Audyssey features without any success to catch which one is causing the effect.

I have a 10 year old Denon 1611eu with a simpler version of the Audyssey MultiEQ System. My wife still haven't learned how to adapt the setting to what you are listening to. So she yells at me: There is something wrong with the sound making me fix it. Really easy actually if you know how Audyssey works.

Dynamic EQ® and Dynamic Volume™ settings

Dynamic EQ®
Solve the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics.

Reference Level Offset
Audyssey Dynamic EQ is referenced to the standard film mix level. It makes adjustments to maintain the reference response and surround envelopment when the volume is turned down from 0 dB. However, film reference level is not always used in music or other non-film content. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.

Dynamic Volume™
Solve the problem of large variations in volume level between TV, movies and other content (between quiet passages and loud passages, etc.) by automatically adjusting to the user’s preferred volume setting.

Direct
No adjustment or compensation for source or environment at all Audyssey is turned off. Source -> DAC -> speakers (That's the intention, I don't how much the electronics will mess with the sound since it's an AVR)

I my use case I use Audyssey MultiEQ on with Dynamic EQ® and Dynamic Volume™ settings off when watching/listening to music and movies.
From good sources like DD, DTS and so on. From crappy sources I use Dynamic EQ® and Dynamic Volume™ turned on and play around with the Day, Night, Evening and off setting on the Dynamic Volume™ when it's hard to hear dialog or late at night. Basically dynamic range settings.

I hope this explanation works, it's copy and paste from the handbook for my AVR and I pretty sure you can find it in yours. It's "only" 341 pages.
Sorry just joking, the manuals aren't that good, I took me a long time to get my head around mine. My manual is only 80 pages...

Top Bottom