• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

StormAudio & Grimani Systems presented an 11.6.6 fully digital, networked, AES67 Audio-over-IP demonstration.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is about an active setup using Ethernet is it not?
The title says it’s about “fully digital, networked, AES67 Audio-over-IP” Active speakers is just one use case. Besides, if you checked the active speaker system used you will see that the amplifiers are not within the speaker but on separate racks. Speakers are still connected by speaker wires at it says on the linked article.

In short the thread is about any HT system.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Full digital HT has been problematic due licensing and copy protection issues , which has crippled development of home theater audio forever.
Licensing covers the input. Once decoded (edit) hence it is not the copy of the input, what is on the output is not covered by the license. Nothing stopped manufacturers from offering digital output other than the general lack of digital inputs on power amplifiers on the market.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you only need one CAT5e (or better) cable to/from the processor. The individual PoE cables to the speakers can be branched off from switches/power injectors distributed over the room/building. (e.g. One cable to the ceiling, then branch off from a switch in the ceiling to the individual speakers.)
Good luck with that.

PoE devices can supply a maximum of 15.4 watts per port

Galliardist

Major Contributor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good luck with that.

If you don't need sustained high SPL, such as for Atmos height speakers, the power provided by PoE is more than adequate.

In fact, you can go tell the folks at Genelec good luck with that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't need sustained high SPL, such as for Atmos height speakers, the power provided by PoE is more than adequate.

And Bluesound...

Reactions: NTK
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting solution. The units have up to 100W of power. PoE capacity is 15W. However, I'm sure that Genelec have tested it, though background music use case is very different to a film soundtrack on a HT.

Smart IP utilises proprietary internal power management that delivers a significantly higher SPL than was previously possible via any conventional PoE. In fact, Smart IP can produce maximum SPL whenever needed, sufficient to power small and medium sized audio systems – a world first.

The internal power supply stores power, to enable Smart IP loudspeakers to work with real audio signals, music and speech. Since audio signals are dynamic, periods of high peak power typically have finite duration while the effective average power level, or RMS power, remains much lower.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And Bluesound...

Again, aimed to background music market.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Licensing covers the input. Once decided output is not covered by the license. Nothing stopped manufacturers from offering digital output other than the general lack of digital inputs on power amplifiers on the market.
I’m not sure, always read and experienced that for example DVD/Blue Ray players with digital out in the form off 5.1/7.1 spdiff was prohibited it must be in the form off hdmi and even the coax stereo output that existed had limited sample rate and did not let truogh the full signal.

And all the hdmi to coax converter for consumers has always been iffy mail order products only ?

The Meridian HT I have has a proprietary protocols

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting solution. The units have up to 100W of power. PoE capacity is 15W. However, I'm sure that Genelec have tested it, though background music use case is very different to a film soundtrack on a HT.

There are products capable of 60/100w PoE type 3 & 4 IEEE 802.3bt of the standard. Injection won't be cheap though...

Grotti

Forum Donor
There are products capable of 60/100w PoE type 3 & 4 IEEE 802.3bt of the standard. Injection won't be cheap though...
I am looking at and listening to my ancient stereo setup at this very moment and I am missing..... Nothing ;)

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That amount of power is definitely enough for height channels and maybe even surrounds. Especially if there are batteries in the speakers to support the peaks.

AES67 will change the HT and background music market.

Everett T

Forum Donor
That amount of power is definitely enough for height channels and maybe even surrounds. Especially if there are batteries in the speakers to support the peaks.

Agreed!

Descartes

Major Contributor

Maybe!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
When you use a modern active system with an AVR/AVP, what happens?

What is in your subwoofer?
For a couple days I have been giving this comment about subwoofers a couple thoughts. The way a conventional AVR works is that its dacs translate digital to analog, send the analog lows to the subwoofer... And then what? Analog to digital, DSP of the subwoofer, digital to analogue and then amplification?

Again, I´m not detracting from the interest of the system, on the contrary. The flexibility this system allows is beyond good not just as multichannel, but as multiroom too.

Personally, I´d love to see something like this applied to the LS series of KEF. :)

Top Bottom