• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

State-of-the-Art Loudspeakers

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For 25k you get amazing speakers (and you get amazing speakers for far less than that, too).
I would have chosen speakers with excellent measurements (performance). Revel and KEF are excellent brands. I guess Beolab 50 measures well, too.
My gut feeling says that Genelec 1234 is great (but it would have been nice to have seen its measurements).
But I would have avoided Avantgarde Acoustic. Measurements of Revel F228Be (costing 10k) have just been published in Stereophile:
Revel Performa F228Be measurements

Good luck!
Genelec 1234 https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...rs/SAM Studio Monitors/1234A/1234a_op-man.pdf
Genelec 1236 https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...o Monitors/1236A/1236a_operating_manual_0.pdf

All plots in the manual, you get both horizontal and vertical dispersion. I think kii and d&d conveniently forget the one that doesn’t favour them.

I have worked with 1234 (not with the big one). They are flat enough and powerful enough to be present in studios all over the world. In this video
you can see them installed soffit and why.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
i appreciate this feedback as it’s not something I really seriously considered until now I guess. At least two of you guys have indicated that at this price range all you might get for your trouble is different sound. In that regard I guess the Jbl 4367 really is that good... or “state of the art” so to speak.
Personally I think your on the right track here, yes your speakers are very close to the SOTA. Don't know much about your amp but a quick look at google results in what appears to be a very well designed 215wpc integrated that should provide a transparent peice of amplification gear. I highly doubt anything to be gained with changes in that department.
If you really want to make some valuable improvement in the sound of your system do some investigation into the various options of DRC. From Dirac Live to AcourateDRC, AudioLense, and the rest there's a whole world options to make some serious advances in the sound of your rig.
Maybe a couple BIG subwoofers to go with it?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

It would be wise to think about subwoofers. Plural. Learn how to measure if you do not know how yet. it takes a good amount of time to know how to measure the response of your system in your room. Invest in something like the miniDSP 2x4 HD or similar. Download the ridiculously powerful and FREE REW. Learn (Takes Time) , Measure, Learn more, Be willing to be frustrated. Be ready for that ... Integrating subs is not a plug and play affair in most cases. The results will be worth the bother. Total financial outlay doesn't have to be that expensive and may actual be a saving .A pair of cheap subwoofer will be the learning tools a pair of subs the minDSP ($200), the measuring mike ($100) can be well under $1000 for results I am not sure you can attain any other way (IMHO). At the level of the JBL 4367 you are likely to move sideways in term of speaker search. Different sounding rather than "better" ...
All that IMO, YMMV, my $0.02 ..etc ....

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They don't measure especially well. I've heard them twice, and the sound was very blah for the astronomical price.
We had some, there is a Stereophile review that explains them accurately, in recent years they have just been making larger and larger speakers for the Oligarch market.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For 25k you get amazing speakers (and you get amazing speakers for far less than that, too).
I would have chosen speakers with excellent measurements (performance). Revel and KEF are excellent brands. I guess Beolab 50 measures well, too.
My gut feeling says that Genelec 1234 is great (but it would have been nice to have seen its measurements).
But I would have avoided Avantgarde Acoustic. Measurements of Revel F228Be (costing 10k) have just been published in Stereophile:
Revel Performa F228Be measurements
Good luck!

The 228Be was reviewed by KR. In a companion article about blind testing he said it was difficult (or impossible) to tell the 228Be apart from the mighty Salon 2's.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you have the budget you should also look at the Kiis, especially with their BXT module, they are really super.

Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The 228Be was reviewed by KR. In a companion article about blind testing he said it was difficult (or impossible) to tell the 228Be apart from the mighty Salon 2's.
Very difficult was my subjective conclusion since I chose the Salon 2 in 2 out of 3 trials. One could state whether it was impossible/possible only with substantially more test runs to approach statistical reliability. I doubt if my sanity would have survived.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe over in the AVR forum thread about the testing it was mentioned by Toole that no speaker they had tried (obviously they've not tried all speakers made) had ever bettered the Salon 2 in their testing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Very difficult was my subjective conclusion since I chose the Salon 2 in 2 out of 3 trials. One could state whether it was impossible/possible only with substantially more test runs to approach statistical reliability. I doubt if my sanity would have survived.
I imagine the greatest audible differences would be in the deep bass. By focusing on material that offers such might make things a bit easier.

Erik

I believe over in the AVR forum thread about the testing it was mentioned by Toole that no speaker they had tried (obviously they've not tried all speakers made) had ever bettered the Salon 2 in their testing.
"All of the loudspeakers you mentioned are as close to timbrally "neutral" as is achievable today. Differences are in price :-( appearance and power handling capabilities. In double-blind subjective evaluations they would likely end up in a "statistical tie" which means that variations in recordings (not trivial) are the prime determining factor of what you hear." - fetoole about 708i, M2 and Salon2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM&lc=UggmY7vLsXqgI3gCoAEC.8MMWSNpGESB8P8LNDSFPey

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I imagine the greatest audible differences would be in the deep bass. By focusing on material that offers such might make things a bit easier.
I did not know the identity of any of the speakers until after all the tests. I chose some recordings with deep bass and had I focused only on that aspect I might have scored better.

However, the task was not whether I could distinguish A from B (or C) but which one I preferred on the full range of musical selections. The results show that I preferred the Salon 2 on two of the trials and preferred the F228Be on one. Since I knew that the same three speakers were used in all trials but, in random order, I mistakenly inferred that my preferred speaker was in a different position in that trial.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I put "impossible" in parenthesis because I could not remember your exact words. On further reflection, saying something is "impossible" is likely to be a stretch. It's like a legal opinion that something "will" be the result instead of "shall". There's always a chance.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"All of the loudspeakers you mentioned are as close to timbrally "neutral" as is achievable today. Differences are in price :-( appearance and power handling capabilities. In double-blind subjective evaluations they would likely end up in a "statistical tie" which means that variations in recordings (not trivial) are the prime determining factor of what you hear." - fetoole about 708i, M2 and Salon2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM&lc=UggmY7vLsXqgI3gCoAEC.8MMWSNpGESB8P8LNDSFPey

Surprised to see 708i in the mix - its a smaller 2-way.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I put "impossible" in parenthesis because I could not remember your exact words. On further reflection, saying something is "impossible" is likely to be a stretch. It's like a legal opinion that something "will" be the result instead of "shall". There's always a chance.
Well, there are things that are impossible for me. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I did not know the identity of any of the speakers until after all the tests. I chose some recordings with deep bass and had I focused only on that aspect I might have scored better.

However, the task was not whether I could distinguish A from B (or C) but which one I preferred on the full range of musical selections. The results show that I preferred the Salon 2 on two of the trials and preferred the F228Be on one. Since I knew that the same three speakers were used in all trials but, in random order, I mistakenly inferred that my preferred speaker was in a different position in that trial.
A very interesting outcome in any case. Knowing how hard Harman aims for a particular result from their design approach, I wonder how close the results would be if other speakers from their lines were plugged in? Say some options from the larger Performa3 or Concerta2 line. Just curious as to how far down in cost you would have to get before the the weaknesses would become very obvious?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A very interesting outcome in any case. Knowing how hard Harman aims for a particular result from their design approach, I wonder how close the results would be if other speakers from their lines were plugged in? Say some options from the larger Performa3 or Concerta2 line. Just curious as to how far down in cost you would have to get before the the weaknesses would become very obvious?

That is a good question. The LSR305s convinced me the Harman design method was onto something. I later based upon that purchased Revel F12's for my video front channels. These were the least expensive Revel floorstander from 2004 till 2015. These are also very good. I think Amir commented at how surprised he is that Revel managed as much quality of sound as they did compared to more expensive Revels. There are plenty of oft recommended audiophile approved speakers that don't match up with the F12s. Vandersteen 2C variants are one of the first that come to mind. Plus the F12s are easy to drive requiring neither high power nor high current amplifiers. The F12 was designed like other Revels and in absolute terms are better than the LSR305s. The other Revels are better from my limited hearing of them, but the basic idea of flat response and smooth off-axis performance make for an intrinsically good speaker.

I also think of Thiel CS1.2 CS1.5 and CS2.0 speakers. Jim Thiel had the flat on axis response, but believed in 1st order crossovers. So his speakers had 1st order crossovers, quality components, very nice cabinets with time alignment. But they had large lobes of uneven response off axis. It usually made for a picky finicky bright sounding speaker. If only he'd gone with 4th order crossovers.

But despite getting always good reviews and good measurements the F12s aren't revered in audio circles. No audiophile marketing with some stand out feature like 1st order crossovers or anything goofy like that. Just a well designed and conceived simple monkey coffin.

KR reviewed them for Stereophile:
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706revel/index.html
JA's conclusion in the measurements section
Overall, the Revel Concerta F12's excellent measured performance gives no hint of the speaker's very affordable price. It raises the bar for what should be expected from a design in this very competitive price region.—John Atkinson

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/revel-concerta-f12-speakers-8-2005.html
Another review that concluded:
The fact that I continued to make very favorable comparisons and distinctions with the PSB Stratus Gold i, which I regard as one of the best buys in audio at $2,599/pair, should clue you into how much I enjoyed the Revel Concerta F12s. At half the price, the Revel is an outstanding bargain.

.......the Revel F12s will not be leaving my home. Kevin Voecks has another hit on his hands, and I can't imagine how the arrival of Revel into this price category could have been more successful.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/revel_concerta_f12.htm
Which is another good review and good measurement result.

Despite all this such speakers were never on my radar before. I knew the top of the line Revel's had a good rep, but never thought the lower models were anything other than filler for a complete line of speakers. A pity as they are good enough and affordable enough they should be an audiophile classic which sold in even larger numbers than whatever they did sell. All the reviews say something along the lines of whatever you feed the speaker is what you hear, that it is an honest portrayal. Sounds like a description of high fidelity to me.

I would like to know how Revel using their spin-o-rama results chooses just how much subjective benefit results in improved speakers. They've the listener results to know. It will never be like amps or DACs, but I wonder at what point exactly improved results no longer lead to perceived improvements in speakers.

I also think Harman is lousy at marketing. A counterpoint is the revered LS3/5a. I've heard many variants and they have their charms. There are multiple companies that still make versions of them. Based upon the BBC rep and accolades they still have a following. You have something like this version:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/falcon-acoustics-ls35a-loudspeaker

It sells for more than twice the F12s, is no where near the same quality sounding speaker which shows in the measurements too. But they'll still sell when if more people knew of the F12 and its successors these would be dead weight in the second hand market.

Top Bottom