• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Squeezebox /UE SmartRadio being dropped in February

nunogrl

(/rant)

So Tidal/Deezer users won't be able to use Logitech Media Service to link local streamers to their accounts on February.

I feel frustrated with this...
I was using tidal with volumio, I stopped using it because I couldn't find a lot of artists there.
Deezer seems to be more popular but the lack of options to cast is annoying and if I'm not getting good quality audio at home I see no point on keeping my subscription.

What do people use for streaming? I feel like deezer doesn't even provide decent options for streamer receivers. (prove me wrong here)
I really don't understand their business model

The answer is to be hoarding FLAC files? What are you doing regarding this?

thanks

ta240

Major Contributor
I just got the message on my Squeezebox Touch. It replaced the album art with a QR code saying to follow it for an important message. I knew it wasn't going to be good news.

It is amazing that they kept MySqueezeBox.com running as long as they did.

Now the fun of searching for a new option with touchscreen, remote, access on computer, phone and by smoke signals.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
It is a shame they couldn't figure out a way to do an inexpensive subscription model or get some kick back from the streaming services to keep it going.
They were so ahead of their time with these.

mjgraves

I have a local FLAC library, plus Spotify integration with local LMS.

I used to have good connections at Logitech. They're not going to put any resources into a long defunct product line. Zero. There's literally noone at the company assigned with it. Such a subscription service would not generate enough cash flow to get & hold their attention. They're mass market consumer goods.

It's lasted this long because it's under their radar. Entirely community supported.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(/rant)

So Tidal/Deezer users won't be able to use Logitech Media Service to link local streamers to their accounts on February.

I feel frustrated with this...
I was using tidal with volumio, I stopped using it because I couldn't find a lot of artists there.
Deezer seems to be more popular but the lack of options to cast is annoying and if I'm not getting good quality audio at home I see no point on keeping my subscription.

What do people use for streaming? I feel like deezer doesn't even provide decent options for streamer receivers. (prove me wrong here)
I really don't understand their business model

The answer is to be hoarding FLAC files? What are you doing regarding this?

thanks
I'm hoarding FLAC files. Got an 8TB SSD full of 'em.

ta240

Major Contributor
I always figured it was just a matter of time. I don't know of any company that kept support for a defunct product going this long.

I wonder if some of the recent popularity of it and the raspberry pi versions, with people like Darko raving about them, drove up server usage to the point where it popped up on someone's report. Or some geniuses emailing complaints to them about problems they were having.

The really sad part is there are a lot of choices that do various parts of what it did very well but none, that I know of, that do everything it did.

My run with them goes back to:
squeezebox_1.jpg

I remember people looking at me weird in the early 2000's when I'd tell them I could play all my music off my computer anywhere in the house. They would usually respond with "but I've got an ipod, I can do that too". And I'd try to explain that I could control it with a remote or with a computer and have multiple ones going at the same time, playing the same or different things.
They couldn't quite grasp why it was nice to not have to plug an ipod in, or get up and walk over to it to change music. Now, 20 years later people are "well, yeah, I can control my music from my couch..."

I'm hoarding FLAC files. Got an 8TB SSD full of 'em.
There is a lot to be said for owning your own content.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately, it shouldn't affect me, as I don't use Tidal or Deezer, and have no idea what UESmartradio is. Spotify, Radio Paradise, Radio France and BBC Sounds should continue unaffected as they're built-in to LMS rather than mysqueezebox.com . I understand Tuneinradio will also continue unaffected, but less sure about that.
Hope to carry on with LMS for many years to come.

S

mjgraves

I always figured it was just a matter of time. I don't know of any company that kept support for a defunct product going this long.

I wonder if some of the recent popularity of it and the raspberry pi versions, with people like Darko raving about them, drove up server usage to the point where it popped up on someone's report. Or some geniuses emailing complaints to them about problems they were having.

The really sad part is there are a lot of choices that do various parts of what it did very well but none, that I know of, that do everything it did.

My run with them goes back to:
squeezebox_1.jpg

I remember people looking at me weird in the early 2000's when I'd tell them I could play all my music off my computer anywhere in the house. They would usually respond with "but I've got an ipod, I can do that too". And I'd try to explain that I could control it with a remote or with a computer and have multiple ones going at the same time, playing the same or different things.
They couldn't quite grasp why it was nice to not have to plug an ipod in, or get up and walk over to it to change music. Now, 20 years later people are "well, yeah, I can control my music from my couch..."

There is a lot to be said for owning your own content.
I don't go quite that far back. I saw that when it was first introduced, mentioned it to my boss in the UK. He bought it and connected it to his Meridian system. I bought the first Slim Devices branded model in 2003.

In 2008 (16 years ago!) I published an article detailing how to run the server component on a recycled HP T5700 thin client. Originally written for a site called Small Net Builder. https://www.mgraves.org/2009/01/how-to-diy-music-server-using-freenas-slimnas-and-an-h-p-t5700/

Back then streaming was just not a factor. I've always had a local cache of content. MP3 at first. Eventually, all FLACs.

ta240

Major Contributor
Fortunately, it shouldn't affect me, as I don't use Tidal or Deezer, and have no idea what UESmartradio is. Spotify, Radio Paradise, Radio France and BBC Sounds should continue unaffected as they're built-in to LMS rather than mysqueezebox.com . I understand Tuneinradio will also continue unaffected, but less sure about that.
Hope to carry on with LMS for many years to come.

S
I guess I may have to switch to Spotify.
But it does look like the Wiim can act like a squeezebox player so if I synch it with my SB Touch I could set a preset button on it to that and then control my local files the way I always have with the Touch and only have to use the Wiim interface for streaming...

Top Bottom