• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spreadable butter...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming in the grocery delivery tomorrow morning...

584718011_0_640x640.jpg

also...

14465011_0_640x640.jpg

For the milk protein intolerant member of the family.

BolusOfDoom

I make my own whipped butter in a stand mixer with one quart of heavy cream and one tablespoon of salt. You just stop the mixer at the desired consistency before the butter separates from the buttermilk– basically salted whipped cream. You can also add flavorings during the mixing process like roasted garlic, for example.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a keep it cold guy. I don't need it spreadable, plain ol' unsalted works for me, just slice it thin if needed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
proper 100 percent butter here...

Okay it's hard to spread but I only have it on waffles so I just put chunks on and let it melt

10 or so seconds in the microwave softens up a stick of refrigerated butter very nicely.

More than that risks liquifying the center here.

Adjust your time as necessary.

hex168

Which one is you fave and do you know/care about price per kg?

You lot, as adults, put sprinkles on your breakfast, so can hardly be trusted with this serious matter :oops::D

Ok, but what about in a sandwich or on toast?
That's a yes on toast. Sandwiches, a good deli mustard.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which one is you fave and do you know/care about price per kg?
We get one here that is marketed as "cornish" (No idea if so) but it has salt crystals in. Delicious on toast.

Price is around £5.50 / Kg when bought in 400g blocks

Having said that - adding a tiny amount of ground sea salt to ordinary salted butter is just about the same, and costs a little less.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
What's the verdict on deep fried pizza/mars bars and irn bru?
Irn bru is great but the deep fried Mars bars etc. didn't exist when I lived there. At least not to my knowledge ...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
£5.50 a kg, that's a bargain that is, are you sure your location isn't Yorkshire?
I've done my sums wroing - we buy in 250g blocks - so you can increase that to £8.80

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done my sums wroing - we buy in 250g blocks - so you can increase that to £8.80
Sainsbury's own mate, two quid for half a pound.

I can't tell the difference between that and the posh stuff not even in a sighted comparison so there's no benefit to me in paying the extra

Kerrygold is about £2.80 by comparison.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sainsbury's own mate, two quid for half a pound.

I can't tell the difference between that and the posh stuff not even in a sighted comparison so there's no benefit to me in paying the extra

Kerrygold is about £2.80 by comparison.
I don't think you buy half a pound any more - just 250g like me :)

The posh stuff (with salt crystals - but from Aldi so for certain values of "posh") is £2.20. The extra salt is nice but as stated above, can be easliy added.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Real full fat butter or nothing. Butter should never be kept in the fridge. Use a proper ceramic butter dish and it will always be spready.
I'm amazed that this simple but perfect approach for the UK climate is so little deployed, we get about 1 day a year when it gets slightly to hot.

I prefer French butter generally.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm amazed that this simple but perfect approach for the UK climate is so little deployed, we get about 1 day a year when it gets slightly to hot.

I prefer French butter generally.
Most of the time though - it is too cold. So unless you keep your heating on 24/7 it will be too hard in the mornings.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the time though - it is too cold. So unless you keep your heating on 24/7 it will be too hard in the mornings.
Our kitchen must be warm enough as it's fine in our house, it does take a day for chilled butter to come up to temperature in the dish when first taken out of the fridge.

Top Bottom