• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I think i found my ringing problem. Do you think it's my oil heater? Anything I can place on the panels?

Nwickliff

I think i just found my 80hz and below ringing issue!! Do you guys think it could be this metal oil heater that's leaving these long trails and increasing my RT60 times? I've had it ring as long as 1 second in RT60 times before. Anything I can put on this thing to keep it from ringing like this?

Open baffle speakers with three subs all time aligned. I recently placed a sub in the same corner as that oil heater and my RT60 time actually got better, not worse.

However in getting this better response at the MLP the bass has to go somewhere and it is Waay louder upstairs now so maybe not worth the better graphs....

Waterfall.jpg
RT60 Decay.jpg
Spectogram.jpg
L+R plus all three subs RT60.jpg
L+R plus all three subs FR.jpg

OP
N

Nwickliff

I should also mention that this is for a 4.2.2 setup so I believe more absorption and shorter decay times seem to sound better to me. I don't have to rely on the room for the enveloping sound as much as I have surrounds filling in that role.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, that is an immersive question!

If you push on that panel with your hand, does the problem improved?

Is it something some old fashioned Dynamat on that panel/door thing would help with?

I look forward to seeing the answers.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Wow, that is an immersive question!

If you push on that panel with your hand, does the problem improved?

Is it something some old fashioned Dynamat on that panel/door thing would help with?

I look forward to seeing the answers.
I tried my entire arm across it but this thing is massive so no it didn't really do anything. I am curious about something like dynamat for sure. part of it is the panels but the other part is the amount of empty space inside all four walls.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think i just found my 80hz and below ringing issue!!

If you haven't, I'd slap or knock on the heater, with the measurement mic very nearby, and see what frequencies it emits on its own.

OP
N

Nwickliff

If you haven't, I'd slap or knock on the heater, with the measurement mic very nearby, and see what frequencies it emits on its own.
I did think of doing this but I didn't because I figured my hitting it isn't the same as it getting excited by the bass the speakers or subs put out. I wonder though if ran a sweep with the microphone there if it might show that trail to be more apparent.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Try both and compare.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's on a utility room, adding a few sheets of Quietrock drywall can help. It absorbs 7 times more sound than regular drywall. Lowe's or Home Depot carry it. We did a friend's place and it really works.

OP
N

Nwickliff

If it's on a utility room, adding a few sheets of Quietrock drywall can help. It absorbs 7 times more sound than regular drywall. Lowe's or Home Depot carry it. We did a friend's place and it really works.
It’s completely open the rest of the room unfortunately ;(

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance of adding a door or wall blocking the heater?

Also, in the video it sounds like the door on the heater is actually rattling. I don't know if this would impact safety, but maybe you could put some weather stripping or similar along the inside edge of the door to damp it a little.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Any chance of adding a door or wall blocking the heater?

Also, in the video it sounds like the door on the heater is actually rattling. I don't know if this would impact safety, but maybe you could put some weather stripping or similar along the inside edge of the door to damp it a little.
I'm renting so only so much I can do. Yes, definitely some rattling of the door there.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm renting so only so much I can do. Yes, definitely some rattling of the door there.
Gotcha. Well I admire anyone who is willing to do that much room treatment in a rental.

I would at least try to damp the rattling...

As for the heater itself... if there is empty space inside it, you could try adding something to fill it in like containers of sand or ...something.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Gotcha. Well I admire anyone who is willing to do that much room treatment in a rental.

I would at least try to damp the rattling...

As for the heater itself... if there is empty space inside it, you could try adding something to fill it in like containers of sand or ...something.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been repeating how much the room matters more than the speakers without actually doing anything about the room. Once you get going it’s hard to stop. Especially DIY. I always just estimated how much wood and how many sheets of mineral wool. I would end up with just a bit more of one thing and then go get more of the other.

My partner was sick for like several weeks so i just kept building. She would come down into the basement and just laugh. Called me Santa’s little elf in the workshop, lol. It’s amazing what you can do when your partner supports your efforts!

Yeah, rattling I gotta handle (one of the windows too) and man if I could out stuff in there it would help a lot. Need to consult a professional before putting anything in there.

Buck_Rogers

Check out "J-B Weld" exhaust wrap.

It's high temperature tape with adhesive.

We used it on a wood burner that resonated to Enya so loud it sounded like a train horn!

Works nice.

Buck

Top Bottom