• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to layoff 17%

JayGilb

Major Contributor
From the article:
"For the team that will remain at <insert company name>, I know this decision will be difficult for many. Please know we are focused on treating our impacted colleagues with the respect and compassion they deserve.
Looking Ahead
The decision to reduce our team size is a hard but crucial step towards forging a stronger, more efficient <insert company name> for the future."

I've seen this one a few times before and had been given an increased work load with no additional benefits as I watched colleges and friends being riffed.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
886fm2.jpg

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No money to pay the musicians, plenty to pay other types of artist though:

''Since it launched, Spotify has spent a lot of money on growing the business, and in securing exclusive content, such as podcasts created by the likes of Michelle and Barack Obama as well as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
The deal with Harry and Meghan cost a reported $25m (£19.7m) and saw just 12 episodes delivered over two and a half years before the deal ended in June.
Commenting on podcast content, Mr Ek told the BBC in September: "The truth of the matter is some of it has worked, some of it hasn't."

Somafunk

Major Contributor
They paid £100m to that gobshite bro scientist Joe Rogan so its par for the course.

OldTimer

It's good for the industry so those laid off employees can create new company to compete with Spotify, Tidal, etc.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's one reason I am not interested in paying a bunch for streaming services. Just sell me the damn CD! The CD in my possession is an irrevocable right to listen to that music in perpetuity, as long as I maintain the playback technology.

Or, I can rent my library and depend for the delivery technology on companies with dubious business models and whose understanding of business centers around the word "disruptive". Oh, and the technology changes every 15 minutes, so not only do I depend on them today, but I depend on them forever.

But it is true that my enjoyment of music does not depend on primarily listening to stuff I've never heard before.

Rick "the artists will be the big losers, however" Denney

D

Deleted member 48726

That's one reason I am not interested in paying a bunch for streaming services. Just sell me the damn CD! The CD in my possession is an irrevocable right to listen to that music in perpetuity, as long as I maintain the playback technology.

Or, I can rent my library and depend for the delivery technology on companies with dubious business models and whose understanding of business centers around the word "disruptive". Oh, and the technology changes every 15 minutes, so not only do I depend on them today, but I depend on them forever.

But it is true that my enjoyment of music does not depend on primarily listening to stuff I've never heard before.

Rick "the artists will be the big losers, however" Denney

Artists have quicker, easier and broader access to people than ever before. A large amount of artists wouldn't be artists if it wasn't for Spotify. Or at least they wouldn't be able to get much for their work. They would, back in the days, have had to go to a label and pay a huge amount for printing CD's and transport etc. A lot of money up front. Maybe the amount of CD's you ordered is sold, maybe they won't all sell and you're at a loss. Maybe you could've sold twice as many and you are in risk of being sold out and missing the hype?

Today you can sit and produce a track and upload it to Spotify and if it's good and gets discovered you get paid without further effort. -Easy!

Don't feel sorry for artists. If they are good they will make money. If they are not they won't.

Today good poor artists have a much greater chance of getting success than ever before.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Artists have quicker, easier and broader access to people than ever before.

I wonder why they haven't reached me?

texx2818

Artists have quicker, easier and broader access to people than ever before. A large amount of artists wouldn't be artists if it wasn't for Spotify. Or at least they wouldn't be able to get much for their work. They would, back in the days, have had to go to a label and pay a huge amount for printing CD's and transport etc. A lot of money up front. Maybe the amount of CD's you ordered is sold, maybe they won't all sell and you're at a loss. Maybe you could've sold twice as many and you are in risk of being sold out and missing the hype?

Today you can sit and produce a track and upload it to Spotify and if it's good and gets discovered you get paid without further effort. -Easy!

Don't feel sorry for artists. If they are good they will make money. If they are not they won't.

Today good poor artists have a much greater chance of getting success than ever before.

Hi, I made an account just to tell you this is the worst take on anything I've ever seen on the internet, ever. Congrats!

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm a lurker. This forum is like the definition of "look, don't touch"
So, cool.

You can go back to lurking if this is what you have to offer.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wasn't easy to make a living solely from music before the streaming services and it isn't easy now, so nothing has changed.

One of my brother's friends had the opportunity to sign Coldplay, and turned them down. Yes, even a potentially massive band struggled to get signed. That was the reality.

Most bands were doing it for the love of it and that's not changed, they mostly had day-jobs to pay the bills.

I'd argue most big artists get worse through their careers, as once they became millionaires and became removed from 'real life' they no longer have any input for lyrics and song ideas that are relevant to ordinary people. They start writing about the problems of being a millionaire musician, or take some lame 'save the world' approach.

Lean and hungry = more real = better music.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, like photographers who have better access to admirers because of Flickr or Instagram. :rolleyes:

The hard part was never creating the music. (Well, it's hard to create good music, but that's a whole other discussion.) The hard part is getting your music in front of listeners. Spotify doesn't make that happen any better than a CD in the rack with all the other thousands of CDs at the local CD store (RIP). So, musicians now have to promote their music on a zillion channels--Facebook, Instagram, a bunch of Youtube influencers, etc.--without help from an agent or record label to make that market. The only exceptions seem to be those few who were discovered by well-known producers who already have the connections to make the market, so you have as much star-making as ever.

Where Spotify was perhaps useful was in supporting a small income stream in support of word-of-mouth promotion, which is not much different than selling CDs at gigs. Most musicians get through life putting a bunch of little things together, sometimes (often!) including a day job. But there still has to be promotion, and nobody promotes anything for free, so the artist has to do it. But if the service is peeling back the ability for small musicians to make a small income stream (as Youtube does with content providers), then even that won't have much value. You tell me how much a musician makes from a single download, and the algorithm Spotify uses to put their content in front of people.

Making the market has always been where the money is, and it's no different now. Producing stuff is easier than ever, but that's not what makes the market.

Back in the day, there were several ways musicians could break out: 1.) radio, 2.) live concerts attended by influential people. But Spotify is not radio--there is no programming decision-maker. So it depends on paying Youtube/FB/TT influencers to talk about your stuff to generate interest. Influencers get subscribers when they interview stars, not the local club band that has 45 (or even 450) subscribers on their own Youtube channel.

It seems to me that lowering the barrier of entry makes the job of breaking out that much more difficult--there's just a bigger sea of crap to have to swim through.

Having a CD marketed by a good label was a Godsend to musicians worthy enough to impress somebody who could make that happen. It meant concerts would support record sales, and a grueling tour, even if it just broke even, would result in a stream of royalties. Now, free downloads support concerts, and even if the download isn't free, it might as well be if it doesn't pay the musician anything. And once the tour is over, so is the revenue stream.

I am NOT arguing for going back to a system where unmusical record company executives made dumb decisions about who to give record deals to. That system was also corrupt and inefficient. But, refer back to my statement above: Making the market has always been where the money is, and it's no different now. The most successful musicians, or the musicians with the greatest team behind them to make them seem successful, will find a way in any system. But I don't think what we have now is any better at feeding new acts or those with a limited audience than was the old one.

Rick "download/streaming services are entirely driven by user convenience, not musician well-being" Denney

Top Bottom