• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for low wattage amp tube

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so... I mean... one could gather up and count all of the veils that have been lost for each tweak, yes?
One could assess veils per tweak or integrate the veils over all tweaks.
Perhaps I am overthinking this.
;)

lateralous

What do you think, you could have found out if you really wanted.
Not planning to spoon feed it to you.
Are you concerned we'll show your conclusion cannot be logically formed from your test and subsequent measurement? I can't see how taking 5 seconds to type the word of the thing you measured is "spoon feeding".

Last edited:

Wesayso

Are you concerned we'll show your conclusion cannot be logically formed from your test and subsequent measurement? I can't see how taking 5 seconds to type of the word of the thing you measured is "spoon feeding".

I'm more concerned about the attitude that seems to be the norm here.

Like I said, I've written it down for all to read, if you can't be bothered, why should I be?

lateralous

I'm more concerned about the attitude that seems to be the norm here.

Like I said, I've written it down for all to read, if you can't be bothered, why should I be?
Questioning of hypotheses and conclusions is a core tenant of science, why shouldn't it be the norm by the very nature of the website?

Wesayso

It's not that part that I was getting at. It's more your motive that is questioned. Like I said, if it were a question asked out of genuine interest, I would have answered.
But we both know that isn't the case.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been a Mechanical Engineer for most of my professional career. Trained to be analytic in testing and relying on facts and science. So naturally, I followed the proposed idea that all competently designed amplifiers should sound alike. Like a wire with gain, right?
It wasn't until a very kind member of DIYAudio challenged me that I altered that opinion. He brought along 5 different amplifiers in my home to test with my speakers. In his opinion they would all have a different character. For testing purposes we used my Radioshack SPL meter in-between to set the average level the same for each amp.

Sure enough they all did sound somewhat different. Some more than others. So from that point on I too became a believer in amp/speaker synergy. I do now own 2 of the amps that were brought in for that test :D. I still measure everything I do though ;).

I'm not going to get in to trying to "prove" any amp sounds different from another, but just an anecdotal experience:

What I liked about the combo of the Eico HF81 14W integrated amp/MBL 121 speakers was: It seemed to generally enriched and "warm up" and thicken out the sound, without losing much of the startling detail of the MBLs. It seemed just that much more "natural" to my ears. Further: I liked the bass quality with that little tube amp driving the MBLs. The MBL 121s were officially spec'd down to 49Hz. With a solid state amp the bass had nice grip but I felt aware of the "shelf" below which the bass did not go, aware of the cut off point. So I'd think 'maybe I want a subwoofer with these at some point.' But when I used the Eico the bass seemed distinctly richer, more full, deeper...not AS tight but still tight enough. My total layman sense/hunch was that the Eico wasn't controlling the woofers as well as the solid state amps (or even as much as my CJ 140W amps) and the effect was actually pleasant. It wasn't that the bass had suddenly extended to subwoofer territory; more like the bass was perhaps slightly extended or "blurred" slightly at the bottom so it seemed like the "cut off point" was less distinct and obvious. The subjective effect was feeling like the bass extended deeper than it really did - "richer, deeper bass." And I never felt I needed a subwoofer, like I did with the SS or CJ amp. (Also, when I'd play recordings I made of instruments I played or family members played, I felt they sounded the most natural/realistic on that combo).

Wesayso

Hi Jim, now that is a post worthy of a reply. It is a well thought out post with some good pointers etc.

The amps in your list were all DIY amps, were they not? Have any been tested? I would imagine people here are curious about that.

Yes, build by a former professional amplifier designer, whose work I trust. He build them to satisfy his own curiosity. He picked out a few well liked DIY projects and another simply because the opportunity came his way.

Expectation bias has several components. The conscious component is, in many cases, the least important component. The unconscious components are much harder to control and identify for/to the person under test.
Scientific comparisons, whether aural or otherwise, have protocols that need to be rigorously applied in order to obviate any interference with objectivity. The layman rarely appreciates this; instead, many find it an onerous task, and they dismiss it. But the ways that the unconscious human mind can steer us into errant paths is well-known and well-documented.

Did you see what sentence I replied to originally? What I had was an informal get together that did change my opinion on amplifiers. This is what I typed:
It wasn't until a very kind member of DIYAudio challenged me that I altered that opinion. He brought along 5 different amplifiers in my home to test with my speakers. In his opinion they would all have a different character. For testing purposes we used my Radioshack SPL meter in-between to set the average level the same for each amp.

Sure enough they all did sound somewhat different. Some more than others. So from that point on I too became a believer in amp/speaker synergy. I do now own 2 of the amps that were brought in for that test :D. I still measure everything I do though ;).

What I got out of it: I had an opportunity to listen to 4 (for me) unknown pieces of hardware, and listen for differences. Two of those sounded very similar to each other, except for their bass reproduction. I happened to like what they both did. They both turned out to be Mosfet based amplifiers and I found out that day that I liked what they "added" to the sound. If I had to describe it , it would go something like this:

It seemed to generally enriched and "warm up" and thicken out the sound, without losing much of the startling detail

Maybe not entirely the same, but close enough! If I have to be honest, all amps did sound more detailed than my 80's Pioneer. But I'd only pick out two of them to replace it.

While technically it wasn't a blind test, not even by a mile, nor was it meant to be. It was quite the opportunity for me though and it really did change my point of view. I'm not in the business to sell anything, I merely have a hobby I like, it started because I simply love (listening to) music. I do know how the science part works, but I'd like my hobby to stay like that, a hobby. So that get together was purely informal.
The sounds I heard were not that similar though, upon changing the amplifiers out several times, (remember, to me they were just 4 unknown pieces of hardware) two of them simply stood out. I asked if one of them could stay a while longer, so I could see if I still liked it long term but also to run some measurements of that amplifier and my speakers. Sure enough it measured different from my trusty old amplifier, both in frequency response and phase. The main difference was it's heft on bass, being 400 watt into 8 ohm does tend to sound different than 100 watt on 8 ohm on full range arrays that are run from roughly ~30 Hz up to 18 KHz. (with 14 dB of max boost at bass some frequencies!)

What I see on this forum is bordering on an inquisition that takes these remarks like I just made above apart based on "hard rules of science". That's only partially useful.

While we have a growing library on this site of speaker reviews, DAC's and what not, what's missing is the "hard rules" of what people should like. As they simply don't exist! There isn't one Directivity Index that suits us all, I'm equally convinced we don't all are going to like the amplifiers with extremely low/vanishing distortion. We don't all listen under similar conditions nor do we all like the same music. And that's a good thing!

So throw all the science at me you want. In the end of the day, I choose what I like and I don't even call it HiFi. I call it MyFi. And I recognized what Matt was trying to say.
As I had gone trough something similar.
When the first post that questioned my methods came, I just thought: here we go again... followed up by others that like to join such an inquisition, hence my reaction to avoid those.

No matter how rigoureus your testing is going to be, it cannot account for personal taste. We should embrace that, not distance ourselves from it. I will embrace that in this hobby. I get to pick out what I like and how I do it. Heck, I've build 2 pairs of speakers in my whole life. One set when I was about 18 years old and didn't know anything and one set about 9 years ago. I'm still optimizing that set so it does what I like.
I dare to differ in opinion from some of the teachings of Toole, why? Because I experiment a lot, try things out, change one thing and make up my mind about it. Rinse and repeat at a later date. This simple method has made it possible for me to come a long way, a long way to find out what I like. Not what the majority of people may like. As I said: I've nothing to sell, so I have no interest in what the majority likes. If I listen to the radio I don't think they are a good source for me to pick out my next favorite song either :D.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The EICO HF-81 was/is a pretty special little amplifier in a markedly unattractive package. ;)
I grew up listening to HF-12s (the HF-81 is virtually equivalent to two HF-12s on one chassis, right down to the dual EZ81 rectifiers).
The PT is a little undersized (especially for modern mains voltage), and the ceramic coupling capacitors were an unfortunate (but easily... heh, heh... rectified) choice, presumably to minimize parts cost.

1673048176471.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Allied-Catalog-1960.pdf pg. 46

Heyboer, who made the original PT, is happy to make a marginally uprated variant which still physically fits but will run cooler and (should) last longer. I bought one as a spare for my HF-81 quite a few years ago. Cheap insurance. :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The EICO HF-81 was/is a pretty special little amplifier in a markedly unattractive package. ;)
It was indeed! A little Eico HF-81 borrowed from a friend actually re-invigorated my audiophile passion years ago.

I ended up with an Eico HF-81 fully restored by Yves Beauvais who is, among the Eico fans, the "go-to" guy for restoring those units. I had it for many years and only sold it pretty recently as I was shedding gear.

I grew up listening to HF-12s (the HF-81 is virtually equivalent to two HF-12s on one chassis, right down to the dual EZ81 rectifiers).
The PT is a little undersized (especially for modern mains voltage), and the ceramic coupling capacitors were an unfortunate (but easily... heh, heh... rectified) choice, presumably to minimize parts cost.

View attachment 255464
source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Allied-Catalog-1960.pdf pg. 46

Heyboer, who made the original PT, is happy to make a marginally uprated variant which still physically fits but will run cooler and (should) last longer. I bought one as a spare for my HF-81 quite a few years ago. Cheap insurance. :)

So that HF81-K above must be a different model. It's twice as powerful as the HF81 I owned.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It was indeed! A little Eico HF-81 borrowed from a friend actually re-invigorated my audiophile passion years ago.

I ended up with an Eico HF-81 fully restored by Yves Beauvais who is, among the Eico fans, the "go-to" guy for restoring those units. I had it for many years and only sold it pretty recently as I was shedding gear.

So that HF81-K above must be a different model. It's twice as powerful as the HF81 I owned.
naw, it's all in the marketing -- push-pull EL84 and about 14 wpc at reasonable (talkin' 1960s reasonable not ASR reasonable ;)) levels of distortion. Always was, still is.

1673051326278.png

Note that the Allied catalog page I used illustratively is from 1960. (Especially) in the early days of stereo, it was fairly common to talk about the stereo power output of an amplifier -- thus the '28 watts'. Now, what a "watt" was pre-"FTC '74" is another topic for another time ;)
But 14 continuous watts for a pair of EL84 in push-pull is readily achievable (and even more can be gotten, as @SIY, if memory serves, has pointed out numerous times :)).

In a way, though, that '28 watt' stereo power rating isn't entirely misleading. If one would take a mono signal and feed it into two identical amplifiers (e.g., L and R channels of a stereo amp), driving two identical loudspeakers, the SPL would, all things being equal, be increased by 3dB relative to one signal to one channel to one loudspeaker. :)

1673051807309.png

Manual scan from: http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Eico HF-81 Owners.pdf

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Two more EICO tidbits (and another fractional tidbit)... and then I'll let everyone else return to bickering ;)

1) EICO also made a mono integrated push-pull parallel EL84 amplifier, the HF-32. Four EL84s in PPP for ca. 32 watts (maybe 28... who knows)? Sort of like half a Manley Stingray. :cool:
s-l300.jpg

I've never even seen one in the - ahem - flesh... but it would be fun to get a chance to play with one (or two).

1a) I actually do have a PPP EL84 stereo amplifier... but that too, is another story for another day, methinks.

2) The HF-81 kit was sold for many years and used, assembled HF-81s were not too hard to find and not terribly expensive ('specially if the PT was toasted)... until one day in 2006... Stereophile. :)

lateralous

I believe the thrust of the comments was that your test of those amps was not based on a scientific methodology, and that your choice was therefore not truly unbiased and dispassionate.
Exactly this.
It's not that part that I was getting at. It's more your motive that is questioned. Like I said, if it were a question asked out of genuine interest, I would have answered.
But we both know that isn't the case.
My motive is to ensure subjective opinion is framed as such, because your story is exactly the kind a "subjectivist" would use to support the conclusion that they can hear magical differences between transparent amplification. I'll admit it's difficult not to be confrontational against such things. I was truly interested in what you measured and how, your initial post did not make it clear if you measured just the amplifier's output or the output of your speakers in the room. I could actually read stories like yours all night, I find testing like this fascinating, even if the controls are not perfect - it's just that we must be very careful about what conclusions come after and how they are presented.

Wesayso

@Jim Taylor
It isn't about a difficult load, that's for sure (lol) You do realize the load I present to the amplifier is just about one of the simplest loads out there, right? :)

The Mosfet amps I listened to do have a certain character of their own. Especially noticeable in the midrange. It tends to make it sound more "alive", more like real voices. And we all know Stereo reproduction isn't about anything real, it is just an illusion. We should know that at least. How well that illusion works or can work is up to us to find out. If you like the challenge. One of the biggest faults of Stereo inevitable is the cross talk. Yet we hardly ever see any posts about that. I think it is by far the biggest flaw of Stereo that has kept me busy for a long time to find "my way" of dealing with it. Which certainly differs from what Toole recommends.

Otherwise, you can follow the advice I heard many years ago regarding criticism I believed was unwarranted: "Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean that you have to bark back."

Good advise.

My motive is to ensure subjective opinion is framed as such, because your story is exactly the kind a "subjectivist" would use to support the conclusion that they can hear magical differences between transparent amplification. I'll admit it's difficult not to be confrontational against such things. I was truly interested in what you measured and how, your initial post did not make it clear if you measured just the amplifier's output or the output of your speakers in the room. I could actually read stories like yours all night, I find testing like this fascinating, even if the controls are not perfect - it's just that we must be very careful about what conclusions come after and how they are presented.

All I'd add to this is try out some spices at times... but dose it gently ;). That's what my amp story was about. Measurements left me guessing though, hence the hint to a certain synergy. Subjective? Yes. is it a free choice? Yes. If it makes the end product, the music, that much more enjoyable.

lateralous

All I'd add to this is try out some spices at times... but dose it gently ;). That's what my amp story was about. Measurements left me guessing though, hence the hint to a certain synergy. Subjective? Yes. is it a free choice? Yes. If it makes the end product, the music, that much more enjoyable.
Ironically, I actually inquired about tube amp emulation earlier in this thread, we are dosing heavily :cool:

Wesayso

I won't shoot you, plus I didn't feel I got shot. No harm done. I know the basic idea behind this site, and like I said: in earlier years I could have been an ideal member here.

But to be honest, the more I've learned from this puzzle, the more I've come to realize how little I know. But that doesn't mean I don't like it, I actually still love it. Maybe more than ever.

Ironically, I actually inquired about tube amp emulation earlier in this thread, we are dosing heavily

Been there, done that. it was fun for a short while. One of the most fun and most rewarding experiments I've done: figure out how that cross talk influences what we perceive. Especially if one takes away a lot of the room's influence. But I do "get" the appeal. I've regularly visited my former next door neighbor who had a setup featuring Altec Lansing Barcelona speakers. When using low wattage tube power, I'd start with something similar, making use of the current knowledge and development of horns/waveguides.

Poultrygeist

If you lack DIY skills take these plans to a cabinet shop and have them built. Or have them make all the cuts and glue them up yourself. 15 watts can be a gracious plenty for efficient back loaded horns. These are point source wide band single drivers without crossovers so the amp connects directly to the speakers. A subwoofer is an easy addition if preference requires additional bass. The larger XL Frugal Horns are also a good option but the plans aren't free.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
@Kartingboy !

I don't believe that sensitivity is the most critical point of concern here. I would look to an even impedance, and a relatively benign load
The reason sensitivity may not be as much an issue as some may believe (even with an amplifier of low output) is illustrated in this video. It is not perfect, ..... but it's food for thought.

Jim
There is truth to this -- one example that fairly leaps to mind is the (rather wonderful, actually) ads (Braun) L710. An acoustic suspension "monkey coffin" alignment with dome MR and tweeter that - while fairly sensitive for such a beast - works amazingly well with, e.g., pp EL84 amplification (interestingly enough) and even - gasp - SE 2A3. On paper, not propitious pairings. Empirically, though, excellent (in the former case) and not bad at all (in the latter case).

This being said, high sensitivity can pay other dividends in terms particularly of impressive (sometimes astonishing) dynamics and reduced issues with power compression.

IOW, I stick with the "higher sensitivity" suggestion a priori (if possible with loudspeakers that the OP can find, afford, and that the OP likes), but your point is also well-taken.

zman01

Kartingboy,

Sorry if you have already mentioned it in this thread (and I am asking again), what sort of musical genres would you be generally listening to (and enjoying :)) on your system? Usually how loud do you play?

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is truth to this -- one example that fairly leaps to mind is the (rather wonderful, actually) ads (Braun) L710.
It actually even measures well even with today's standards which is stunning considering they were released more than 50 years ago.

Braun-L-710-mls-Weichenupgrade-vorher-nachher.png

Braun-L-710-klirr95-Weichenupgrade-vorher-nachher.png

Source of measurements: https://old-fidelity-forum.de/thread-42279.html (also a German DIY magazine measured them recently with same results)

Don't want to miss them in my vintage loudspeaker collection.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your reference, even though still within rather expensive speaker category,,,

The design concept of PARADIGM Persona 9H would be interesting for "Speakers for low wattage amp tube". It has powerful built-in amplifier for woofers, and the mid-range driver and tweeter can be driven by low wattage amps including tube amps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom