• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers choice, Akai amp

Given restrictions, what would be your choice?

• Focal 906

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBL hdi-1600

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ravel m106

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Ravel m16

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Elac dbr 62

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

@JSmith, Sir, I could not explain it any better. I have exactly the same tuner on top of mine same colour combo. It is indeed, imho, a candy to look at.
I got it serviced last year. cleaned and caps replaced with mundorf 10kuF. (i dont know if sonically makes a difference, slight appearance that bass got deeper) Original were 6400 japan.

OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

I noticed I spelled "Revel" incorrectly. Like I did not read enough reviews...

OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

What kind of budget for a amplifier?
Hard to say. probably under 1.5k depending on build quality and etc.
My main thing when i got into this:
- amp to fit corner of my desk (this one relatively small compare to full size ones)
- have meters
- silver
- industrial look

and my budget at that time was much smaller.

I must say it is somewhat hard to find alternative if one based it on above parameters :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
- amp to fit corner of my desk (this one relatively small compare to full size ones)
Small might be possible, dependent on wattage requirements, features and cost. Probably be less $ than your stated budget.
- have meters
I don't think we are going to find much like this, maybe another peep here knows something.
Maybe possible.
- industrial look
Most stuff these days looks pretty un-industrial.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
two tape loops
Split the signal before amplifiers. Run active subwoofers, ...that is. HP -LP filter.

I always forget if tape loops are traditionally fixed line level or variable.
If variable why not run the sub on the tape loop? Running it as you suggested would eliminate the switching (and other) capability of this integrated... making it only and amp.

DanielT

Major Contributor
… or start on the road to separates. ;)

JSmith
Hm ..70 W..Something similar.Of course pros and cons when buying used. You can get a HK 670 where I live for about $ 100-130. Fully functional, with remote control. Of course around 20 years. May be in need of a service, possible recap. As usual with used. Pros and Cons.:)

High instantanious current capability : +/- 75 amps
Yummy for $ 100-130 :)

Once upon a time top tested (measurements) on LTS (Sound Technical
Association)

Attachments

• 20211115_205731251 (1).jpeg
    20211115_205731251 (1).jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1v1jmr1wn8051 (1) (1).jpg
    1v1jmr1wn8051 (1) (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_00061-3-scaled (1) (1).jpg
    DSC_00061-3-scaled (1) (1).jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tape loops are fixed line level outputs not variable.
If variable why not run the sub on the tape loop? Running it as you suggested would eliminate the switching (and other) capability of this integrated... making it only and amp.
Budget solution if you want to use a subwoofer but do not have a dedicated sub out on the amplifier, see attached picture. You connect it to your existing speaker outputs together with the other speaker cables you use with the full register speakers.:)

For it to be really good, HP and LP filters are needed. Integration sub full register speaker. Search for it om ASR.. A favorite subject. There are many threads around how to get good ntegration that is.

In which case such a converter works. Usually costs 10-15 $

Or you want to go "all the way" with your Akai, but then you have to warm up the soldering iron.
Take that thread with a pinch of salt, I waffle mostly in it). :).... but you know Hifi should be fun, otherwise there is no point in doing it.

Attachments

• 61CxggKN6JL._AC_SL1230_.jpg
    61CxggKN6JL._AC_SL1230_.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 38

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hard to say. probably under 1.5k depending on build quality and etc.
My main thing when i got into this:
- have meters
- silver
- industrial look

and my budget at that time was much smaller.

I must say it is somewhat hard to find alternative if one based it on above parameters :)
How about this?:

1637327871816.png

I haven't heard one, but it's within budget, looks great and has meters. :)

It uses Hypex NCore amp modules, so unless TEAC have made a complete hash of the preamp section, it ought to be pretty good.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about this?:

View attachment 166629

I haven't heard one, but it's within budget, looks great and has meters. :)

It uses Hypex NCore amp modules, so unless TEAC have made a complete hash of the preamp section, it ought to be pretty good.
Excellent suggestion. :D Canadian prices are here and here.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
It's almost more fun to think of different amplifiers than to buy one. Oops, maybe you should not say that. He he.:p:D

Here a sensible amp to bass modules.

As for example this DIY speakers, that sound good. A800 for the bass drivers.Some kind of Copland amp for mid / tweeter.
Plus he uses miniDSP, UMIK -1 microphone, ROON for PEQ I think it was. If I remember correctly.

There are a lot of different ways to get it together. That's what's fun with Hifi.:)

Attachments

• IMG_4299 (2) (2).jpg
    IMG_4299 (2) (2).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20211106_153922 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_20211106_153922 (1) (1).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
fixed and they bypass any "signal processing" (tone, loudness, balance) as well.
Indeed, in some of the vintage products*, they even work with the component turned off. ;)

________
* e.g., the rather cheesy Kenwood KC-206 preamp:

OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

Speakers that fit a tube amp would fit that Akai? High sensitivity, even in impedance?

For example, a couple like this:

Speakers designed by Ingvar Öhman (ino audio) for Hesselvall Audio (Erik Andersson Ola Hesselvall) to fit in with their tube amplifierThe Dream.

Very easy-to-drive speakers with even impedance.99dB / w in 4 ohms.

The speakers are designed to be driven by a tube anplifier.

I must say those are interesting looking speakers although not my cup of tea. 99 db sensitivity, it, probably, can play my thought just by standing beside it. =)

OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

Budget solution if you want to use a subwoofer but do not have a dedicated sub out on the amplifier, see attached picture. You connect it to your existing speaker outputs together with the other speaker cables you use with the full register speakers.:)

For it to be really good, HP and LP filters are needed. Integration sub full register speaker. Search for it om ASR.. A favorite subject. There are many threads around how to get good ntegration that is.

In which case such a converter works. Usually costs 10-15 $

Or you want to go "all the way" with your Akai, but then you have to warm up the soldering iron.
Take that thread with a pinch of salt, I waffle mostly in it). :).... but you know Hifi should be fun, otherwise there is no point in doing it.

Thanks for suggestion, definitely something to look into

OP
Bohdan

Bohdan

@Count Arthur , Yeap that is one beautiful amp and size is great. If it was made in Japan, ohhh, it is a must then.

I think amir reviewed an older version ax-501. and some inside photos by other members.
Thanks for input!

Top Bottom