• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker designs using Purifi drivers

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I also have my own Purifi Tower for $4,500/pair--Mundorf AMT, New 8-Ohm Purifi BMR midrange drivers, dual Purifi 6.5" woofers.
HT-1.png
Hi Dennis, am i wrong guessing thast you have used the BMR´s from Cotswold? I have been also working with them previously, done also this fun project a few years ago. PS very nice work, hats off! :)
IMG_20200324_172715.jpg

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi Dennis, am i wrong guessing thast you have used the BMR´s from Cotswold? I have been also working with them previously, done also this fun project a few years ago. PS very nice work, hats off! :)
View attachment 268608
Thanks for the nice words. It's a little difficult to get a sense of the scale of your speaker, but that driver sure looks bigger than anything I've used. All of our BMR drivers come from Parts Express, who just recently started stocking the new 8 Ohm 2.5" unit I'm using in the HT tower.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Thanks for the nice words. It's a little difficult to get a sense of the scale of your speaker, but that driver sure looks bigger than anything I've used. All of our BMR drivers come from Parts Express, who just recently started stocking the new 8 Ohm 2.5" unit I'm using in the HT tower.
Yes, the BMR is 4.5 inch from Cotswold, the same that is used in Rega RS10 as a midrange. Do try the Cotswold, if they won´t respond i can contact the owner to get you some samples. Might be even better soundwise ")
hero-rs10-01.jpg

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Whoa, some of these are getting into art. I'm definitely not posting pics of my simple black cabinets of a DIY 2-way with Purifi 6.5" X unit + RAAL ribbon, though they sound awesome.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Whoa, some of these are getting into art. I'm definitely not posting pics of my simple black cabinets of a DIY 2-way with Purifi 6.5" X unit + RAAL ribbon, though they sound awesome.
Post it - it is all good.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Post it - it is all good.

OK, both of these used the Parts Express "knock-down 0.56 cu ft" pre-cut box (16" tall, 8.5" wide, 11"" deep, just needed to be glued together). Not exactly art, but working very well.

Here's my 2nd Generation DIY speaker uses Purifi 6.5X mid/woofers and RAAL 70-20XR ribbons, ported on the top to get a long enough port tube, like 13" total:

Speaker_Gen_2.jpg

...and here is my 3rd Generation (just finished), with the Purifi 6.5X aluminum mid/woofers and RAAL 140-15D ribbons, with no port/sealed:

Speaker_Gen_3.jpg

The 3rd Gen speakers are my "best detail" speakers, but for my living room I'm planning this summer on doing a next gen after this with dual 6.5M mids and a special order super-tall RAAL dipole ribbon (8.25" ribbon, 14" total!), will probably need to be about 30" tall total:

RAAL_dipole_ribbons.jpg

Penelinfi

That is the best DiY write-up I've ever seen! Looking for a passive, 6.5" Purifi w/2x side mounted Purifi radiators design and came across this.
Well if it didn't come from the horse's mouth
IMG_20230513_215843.jpg

I'd also like the Puri bliss (wg) from hifi compass, but that's still up in the air regarding build details

eboleyn

Forum Donor
I was going to do my 4th gen custom speaker build using a TMM design with 2 Purifi 6.5 M drivers, but that's not different enough from the earlier gens to be interesting, so ...

New plan is to try a small line source (-ish) with 6 of the Purifi 6.5 M drivers per speaker, planning about 44" tall total. Just ordered the extra Purifi drivers, ouch. o_O

Edit: was 4th gen, not 3rd.

Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New plan is to try a small line source (-ish) with 6 of the Purifi 6.5 M drivers per speaker, planning about 44" tall total
And what are expected specs of finished speaker?
Gryphon Poseidon DIY?

eboleyn

Forum Donor
And what are expected specs of finished speaker?
Gryphon Poseidon DIY?

I'm still not quite sure what the tweeter setup will be, but the main column will be:
  • 6 Purifi 6.5 M 8 ohm
  • pondering between 1 sealed chamber, 2 sealed chambers, or 6 sealed chambers.
  • Current thought on outer dimensions: 44" high, 10" wide, 15" deep.
  • Likely have all driver posts exposed with external crossover.
  • When using the analog crossover, probably 5.33 ohm (2 series sets of 3 parallel drivers).
  • Sensitivity of the Purifi 6.5 M 8 ohm is just over 90 db/watt, though it will seem lower close up due to the multiple drivers, but distance will attenuate it less.
For the tweeter, will use the custom 8.25" ribbon posted a few back, but still thinking of what the geometry should be for it. My current mental picture is riding on the side halfway up the column, right on one, left on the other, but we'll see.

Intended crossover frequency is about 120 Hz on the bottom side (the approx -3db point for Purifi 6.5 M 8 ohm sealed use) and between 2K and 3K on the upper end, probably 2K.

The final usage will have these sitting on top of Rythmik F18 sealed subs as a bass module and a concrete block underneath each one, so the bottom will be at about 24" off the floor, and the top will then rise to about 68" height.

SivKiv

I see they have a 4.5" and a 6.5"-whee! And purported significantly higher sensitivity than other BMRs. No off-axis curves though :( Where they heck can you buy these things?
I'm curious too, the 3 inch 4 ohm model especially looks interesting. Although yeah, I'd also like to see off axis curves too

Sillysilly

Heard the floor standers live, with about 5 foot to breathe from the side and back walls. I would have been very happy with them if looking to spend that amount.

Top Bottom