• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundbar Reviews

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
As part of my wide array of test subjects I was shopping some Soundbars yesterday and decided to see if anyone was actively testing them as to make sure I avoided any significant overlap in my own future tests. I came across this site:
https://www.rtings.com/soundbar

The site states they are ad-free and buy all their own equipment and test samples (none provided from the mfg) and in order to keep that model you must pay to see reviews after a limited number of free views.

While their tests aren't necessarily "standard" in the way we expect (for example, they do not make any attempt at quasi-anechoic measurements and instead opt for a 16-microphone array inside a makeshift 'room' (shown below) and average the results) they do seem to have a pretty good method of their own and a lot of tests completed with the same procedure which makes, if nothing else, for a good comparative base to peruse.

Go browse. Make sure to read their section on how they test so you have an understanding. Here's an example page to start with: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/samsung/hw-q90r#page-test-results

At any rate, I found the site interesting and thought I'd share in case you guys were interested as well.

https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/soundbar/lg/sk9y/sk9y-in-test-large.jpg

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't checked out their soundbar reviews yet, but their headphones testing I've briefly checked out seem pretty extensive, methodical and focused on (mostly) quantitative results.

I was thinking a little about this with another thread where people were talking about 2.x vs 5.x (or higher). I had a reasonably nice proper 5.1 setup, but then I previously decided to separate my surround-sound and stereo setups to help focus my wants in those areas which are not the same. I went with one of the, at the time, top of the line 5.1 setups form Vizio and have been very happy with it. It is plenty for how we watch TV and actually not terrible for an occasional movie. Granted our living room is not huge, 12x20x8. The 'sub' is wireless and also has the amp for the surrounds, which is super convenient. I mounted the TV on the wall with the front sound bar mounted below it. The sub hides below a side table beside the couch. I put some low voltage jacks/plate behind the couch, ran the surrounds from the sub/rear amp to there up through the side walls to hide those wires. Then that system can mostly hide out of the way and the only highly visually noticeable audio in the room is the 2 channel system. For our use it probably get's use most of the way to a 'real' 5.1 setup with less clutter, easier to use and I can focus my real dollars, space and time on the 2 channel system.

https://www.vizio.com/home-theater-system/s5451wc2.html

I've been thinking about how to upgrade to a full 5.1(.x?) system again that matches my wants in both surround-sound and stereo. But not have it take over the room, and still get some high end 2.1 system integrated, it all seems too expensive, complicated, etc. I do want some zoned/whole house audio to add music in the dining room and future back deck planned which the right receiver would also help facilitate. I've also eyed some of the new atmos 5.1.4 'soundbar' setups too. I'm kind of all over the place, I think I need to decide what the priorities are first. :)

Last edited:

murl

I completely lost interest in HT. I have a sound bar for watching TV/concerts which definitely helps then a pair of speakers for listening to music and am quite happy. Moving the couch against the back wall helped tremendously for music listening.

Attachments

• Room photo 1.jpg
    Room photo 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 534

Haint

I'm surprised anyone on this site would be unaware of RTing's. It has been the go-to site for objective measurement based TV reviews for what seems like half a decade. They've gradually branched out in to headphones, monitors, and soundbars. Their measurements are great, but their arbitrary and purely subjective numerical scoring system is pure nonsense as they ascribe too much weight to insignificant or silly categories. Look at the measurements, ignore the scoring.

murl

Seems like an interesting site. I will read more about it tomorrow.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm surprised anyone on this site would be unaware of RTing's. It has been the go-to site for objective measurement based TV reviews for what seems like half a decade. They've gradually branched out in to headphones, monitors, and soundbars. Their measurements are great, but their arbitrary and purely subjective numerical scoring system is pure nonsense as they ascribe too much weight to insignificant or silly categories. Look at the measurements, ignore the scoring.

Well, paint yourself surprised then, sir. :D

I haven’t “shopped” TVs in about 5 years. That was a $500 55” Vizio that still works fine. IMHO, TVs are inexpensive enough to pick up at Walmart or Target and do the trick. Maybe I’m the only one who gave up researching TVs. I don’t spend hours researching those like I might a new DSLR, or projector for my home theater. So, yea, never heard of the site until today and if I should have because of TV reviews, now we know why. :)

PBH

I could have sworn they measured the Elac Debut 2.0 lineup when they first started doing soundbars and posted results to reddit's hometheater sub. I can't find any mention of it now though. There was quite a long thread on it.

Marakk

I could have sworn they measured the Elac Debut 2.0 lineup when they first started doing soundbars and posted results to reddit's hometheater sub. I can't find any mention of it now though. There was quite a long thread on it.

Here it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/d50aic
Looking at the frequency responses of these speakers, and then comparing it with Samsung Q80/Q90 or even Bose 700, are some soundbars actually capable of high-fidelity audio? The Samsung ones seem to be quite accurate in their room. The Bose is good too but with elevated treble, but I wonder if that's by design for off-axis listening, which is often the case in soundbars as the go under the TV.

I hope they get to measuring more higher-end soundbars such as Focal Dimension, Dali Katch One and Enchant 1300 soon. It'll be nice to see how these ones by renowned audio companies perform.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope they get to measuring more higher-end soundbars such as Focal Dimension, Dali Katch One and Enchant 1300 soon. It'll be nice to see how these ones by renowned audio companies perform.
If you think Samsung is not a serious player in loudspeaker R&D, you cannot be more wrong. The Samsung Audio Lab in California, where their soundbars are designed, is run by Alan Devantier — an well known industry veteran, staffed by highly qualified and educated professionals, and has excellent facilities (with two anechoic chambers and a dedicated room for blind listening test).

You may want to take a look at the videos in this thread.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...he-technology-behind-samsungs-soundbars.8859/

Marakk

If you think Samsung is not a serious player in loudspeaker R&D, you cannot be more wrong. The Samsung Audio Lab in California, where their soundbars are designed, is run by Alan Devantier — an well known industry veteran, staffed by highly qualified and educated professionals, and has excellent facilities (with two anechoic chambers and a dedicated room for blind listening test).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...he-technology-behind-samsungs-soundbars.8859/

I already have been through that thread and the videos. Thanks! :)

Marakk

Oh, now I see why you might have thought that I don't think Samsung is higher-end. When I wrote more higher-end models, I didn't mean that Samsung Q80/Q90 aren't high-end enough, I meant literally measuring more soundbars that are considered high-end. Lol

Reactions: NTK

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
[...] It has been the go-to site for objective measurement based TV reviews for what seems like half a decade. They've gradually branched out in to headphones, monitors, and soundbars. Their measurements are great, but their arbitrary and purely subjective numerical scoring system is pure nonsense as they ascribe too much weight to insignificant or silly categories. Look at the measurements, ignore the scoring.

I agree, I checked their reviews before buying my last TV (LG OLED) and headphones (HD650/HD6xx and Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2).

Of course, you can just ignore an open-back-headphone-like-the-hd650 poor noise isolation or portability scores...

LumbermanSVO

Well, paint yourself surprised then, sir. :D

I haven’t “shopped” TVs in about 5 years. That was a $500 55” Vizio that still works fine. IMHO, TVs are inexpensive enough to pick up at Walmart or Target and do the trick. Maybe I’m the only one who gave up researching TVs. I don’t spend hours researching those like I might a new DSLR, or projector for my home theater. So, yea, never heard of the site until today and if I should have because of TV reviews, now we know why. :)

I'm kinda in the same boat. My bedroom I bought because it fit the physical dimensions and budget I had to work with. My living room TV had the one feature I wanted, HDR, could easily be delivered to my home without using UPS/FedEx/USPS so I could easily reject it if it was damaged in shipping, and was a nice balance between price and size.

Bad audio will make the best video content unwatchable, and a bad UX will make you not want to even turn on the video system.

murl

I got the Sennheiser ambeo and it is quite nice. We have tried many concerts on it and it sounds very nice. The Hans Zimmer Live in Prague is always a winner.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are well known for their television & headphone review/measurements (the semi-recently started computer monitors). They recently started doing soundbars as that was an untapped market.

The soundbars/keyboard/mice are the only ones where they limit viewing.

hemiutut

Nakamichi DRAGON 11.4.6 Introduced at CES 2023​

I want to see some measurements of this new sound bar and see if its calibration system accepts parametric filters made with REW for example.

written with translator

Greetings

lewdish

I wish there was a company that would sell a Atmos amplifier & preamp for DIY builders w/ room correction.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I got the Sennheiser ambeo and it is quite nice. We have tried many concerts on it and it sounds very nice.
Which Ambeo do you have? Are you still enjoying it? Are you using it with a subwoofer? Any comments would be appreciated.

Top Bottom