• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I generally consider mids at ~1kHz to 5 kHz. :D I have compared the Sony to several brands when I sold the gear and it was a decent headphone but not to be compared to a AKG etc because the AKG is not as mid forward. I found if listening to the Sony then after other headphones sounded weak and flat and if I went from the AKG to the Sony I found the Sony to be bright. They are both good in their own ways.
Yep, and while it's not necessarily the must-have trait for audiophile listening, it's what makes it incredibly popular for tracking instruments like guitar and vocals in the studio. :p

(Though when I got more serious about singing, and wanted to pay closer attention to my tonal quality, I shelved the 7506 in favor of 7520, adding more clarity in the low end and a little less harshness while keeping the mids clear. Still, the 7506 does the job—"mid forward" is an important attribute for tracking, it's where all the important stuff is.)

earlevel

I just picked up a pair of these and despite Amir's (and many others') reviews, I was still shocked at the excess treble energy. Good lord. I usually use EQ to boost my treble by a few dB... and here I found myself diving for the keyboard to implement Amir's suggested eq to smash down that treble before it fried my ears.

I bought them for audio editing and while I respect their ability to bring out oodles of vocal detail, it seems crazy to me that so much professional audio is mastered on these things.

It seems to me that if your mix sounds good on these, it's going to sound dull on any "normal" speakers/headphones.

What am I missing??? How/why do professionals use these? Not a rhetorical question. I know very little about studio work.
Doodski and Grooved had good responses to your comments, and I think I hit on part of it with my previous post—in a nutshell, the 7506 has robust midrange response, and that this a helpful attribute when tracking. So these are super popular for monitoring while tracking vocals, guitar, etc. I think somewhere back I posted a video of Andrea Bocelli singing on this $7k+ Italian mic, wearing the $100 7506.

But they are also a good utility headphone. Largely, people don't "mix" or "master" on headphones, per se. But they use headphones routinely to check for issues—buzzes, etc. For one thing, mixing on headphones doesn't give the same sense of space that mixing on speakers gives, because each channel is isolated to one ear, and from the side (some headphones position the source sligthly in front). There are ways around it—the studio simulation plugins can be very good, and Slate promotes his system for mixing on phones.

And as Grooved pointed out, Andrew Scheps claims to know the 7506 so well that he is comfortable to mix on them. But this is nothing new, people are adaptable, people can mix on Aurotones and might only give a final check on full range speakers.

But, yeah, you can mix on 7506, but as with any headphones you'd want to know them and how they relate to your car system, your home listening system, etc., and check that the mix works on your studio monitors. Who knows, a perfectly well balance set of phones won't necessarily give you a better mix in the end—the extra mids on the 7506 might just help you focus on the important midrange details while getting the mix right.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to thank @Doodski, @Grooved, and @earlevel for the infomative replies. I learn so much from this place, and I am grateful.
The 7506 sound like garbage. I bought a pair thinking they measured well so at least they should sound half-decent. But they sound like garbage. Just because some professionals choose to monitor/master on these doesnt mean they sound good.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Never saw/heard someone mastering with these, nor mixing, except Andrew Scheps who mixes with these headphones, but he started long time ago and got used to, and maybe he has adapted to.
It's a myth that they are used a lot for such a thing, the only truth is that have been a lot in studios, but for the artists. People have generalize the fact that these are "in a lot of studio" into "they are used by all people in studios"
Yes, nothing wrong with these for vocalists monitoring for tracking. They still sound like c**p

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7506 sound like garbage. I bought a pair thinking they measured well so at least they should sound half-decent. But they sound like garbage. Just because some professionals choose to monitor/master on these doesnt mean they sound good.
Yes, nothing wrong with these for vocalists monitoring for tracking. They still sound like c**p

Subjective preference IMHO. Mine sounds incredible for the price and IMHO it can easily compete with HD6XX to Sundara in subjective sonic performance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
MDR7506 are monitoring headphones and can highlight issues with distortion and treble in recordings.
Also they are pretty robust.
Fine for in a studio (monitoring/tracking) which is what they are designed for.
Not really a great headphone for music enjoyment but as with everything there will be folks loving it to bits.
Subjective preference.
This is true for nearly every headphone out there (the preference bit).
I remember the old 'HD650, DT880, K701' debate where people were all stating how only 1 of them were great and none could agree which that would be.
Truth is all 3 had something going for them and some downsides.
A downside for person A could be a plus side for person B.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
If there existed a MDR7506 with honed in upper-mids and highs I would be eager to try it. The fit, comfort and build quality made a strong impression on me, and it's been some 10 years since I sold mine.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
With EQ to tame the searing treble, I think they sound really good and extremely detailed in the midrange. Bass extension is lacking but what's there is nice.

So I can see the appeal. There are always compromises at this price range. And because this is such a long lived model, there is some value for professionals knowing that if their pair breaks they can get another pair easily. Even if Sony stops producing them I'm sure there are 100,000,000 pairs floating around out there.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW. To my knowledge these were intended as headphones used by (for example) on-site news crews, with the emphasis on good monitoring of vocals. So, they may not be a good example of a modern hi-fi headphone.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Its frequency response received the highest average preference rating of 94% (scaled, behind the Harman target at 100%) from listeners in Harman's blind tests.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its frequency response received the highest average preference rating of 94% (scaled, behind the Harman target at 100%) from listeners in Harman's blind tests.
I owned a set for years. I didn't hate them like Amir did, but I'm happier with the AKG K601s I use now. It's odd they scored so well, they really are bass-deficient by almost anyone's standards.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I owned a set for years. I didn't hate them like Amir did, but I'm happier with the AKG K601s I use now. It's odd they scored so well, they really are bass-deficient by almost anyone's standards.
Could be down to unit variation, which is quite high for the 7506:

FiZtNavX0AIOSaQ

The unit Harman tested seems to be on the better bass and tamer treble side of the range:

FiN2rT4XkAAWvFq.png

markanini

Major Contributor
I admit it's happened a few times I bought multiples to take advantage of return polices on tech with unit variation, keeping only one in the end. It's annoying though, and you might still get an unlucky batch.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Did they have an actual 7506 on their head or did they listen to a different headphone that was EQ'ed to what was supposed to be representing a 7506 in that test ?
Was the rating determined by listeners or generated by software based on measurements on a specific test fixture in ideal circumstances ?
Oratory scored it at 81%.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My question still is not answered.
Since you read all the research into the finest details I thought you could give some answers to the question surrounding the 'listeners'.
1: Did they actually have 7506 on their head (bye bye blind test) or did they listen to another headphone EQ'ed to mimic a 7506 ?
2: The preference rating of 94% was that determined by measurements or was it scored by 'listeners in a blind test' ?
I assume you knew the conditions.
Oratory measured it and it scored 81.
I owned one (before my flawed measurements) and did not like it. Way too sharp sounding and lacking 'body' and sub bass.
Excellent monitoring headphone for around € 100.-
Great for instruments and voices.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My question still is not answered.
Since you read all the research into the finest details I thought you could give some answers to the question surrounding the 'listeners'.
1: Did they actually have 7506 on their head (bye bye blind test) or did they listen to another headphone EQ'ed to mimic a 7506 ?
2: The preference rating of 94% was that determined by measurements or was it scored by 'listeners in a blind test' ?
I assume you knew the conditions.
Oratory measured it and it scored 81.
I owned one (before my flawed measurements) and did not like it. Way too sharp sounding and lacking 'body' and sub bass.
Excellent monitoring headphone for around € 100.-
Great for instruments and voices.
That exaggerates my impressions somewhat, but certainly I've heard better headphones since.

teched58

They are objectively (not subjectively, objectively) not garbage, by virtue of the fact that they are one of the most (if not the single most) widely used headphones by industry professionals (audio, movie, tv, news crews). That is why Sony has kept them in production since 1991, because there is demand.

Top Bottom