• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony announces new Walkman... $4200

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Along with its amplifier, Sony also uses its DSEE Ultimate AI algorithm to upscale sound quality in real-time."

It sounds as if it might be the very best in AI algorithms, beating all the other AI algorithms. :facepalm:

"Sony claims it can upscale 44.1kHz/16 bit sound (CD quality) to 192kHz/32 bit."

I claim the same, and i will top them by using nothing but zeros and ones!
"With sound you can't hear anyway in much, much higher fidelity!"

"Just look at those big, big numbers!"

Robin L

Master Contributor
I just found an old box of 8 tracks in my basement the other week, so I'm waiting for that resurgence.
Probably more collectible, long term, as they are designed to self-destruct.

Yasuo

All that gold & price makes it some kind of audio Salt Bae.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I just found an old box of 8 tracks in my basement the other week, so I'm waiting for that resurgence.
I just aged-around that format - by the time I got a car in '74, cassettes were the thing (not that I had one in my MG, nor a radio either). I do still see them around our record stores...not tempted tho.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I just aged-around that format - by the time I got a car in '74, cassettes were the thing (not that I had one in my MG, nor a radio either). I do still see them around our record stores...not tempted tho.
The 3 3/4 ips tape speed was an advantage over cassette at 1 7/8 ips, but the cartridge design fed back on itself in a infinite loop mechanism which led to high wow and flutter and eventually the tape would wind too tight.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
It provides important audiophile choices:
"The chassis is made from either gold-plated oxygen-free copper, which provides a better ground, or aluminum, which insulates from outside electrical interference, both supposedly improving sound quality in their own way."
Can't wait for the comparison of aluminum vs copper for sound quality differences that will appear eventually on other forums :p

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
"The chassis is made from either gold-plated oxygen-free copper, which provides a better ground, or aluminum, which insulates from outside electrical interference, both supposedly improving sound quality in their own way."
Can't wait for the comparison of aluminum vs copper for sound quality differences that will appear eventually on other forums :p
"The aluminum gives a lighter, airier quality whereas the copper reddens the tones somewhat."

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm waiting for the dilithium crystal wrap on my DAP.

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Scotty, I need more resolution!"
"I cannea do it, captain. She's already at 24 bits. If I push her anymore she'll blow to (16) bits."
"And if those crystals get anywhere near that class D amps' oscillating frequency, she'll blow down to 8!"

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
DSEE HX was initially for compressed music not lossless music. I guess Sony eventually said "If were throwing fake bits at compressed music, why not do the same to lossless CD quality music". I use DSEE HX with Spotify and lossy sources. It's stupid to throw lossless at something like that.

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
Sony is a master at playing around with music signals. I used to own a series of MiniDisc players from them and followed along as ATRAC evolved from "worse than a chewed up 8 track" to decent sounding all using psychoacoustic to throw away information you couldn't hear anyway because it was hidden in other sounds. I guess DSEE HX has learned to reverse the process and now adds in sounds that were previously thrown away. ;)

Redcarmoose

newworld666

Sony is a master at playing around with music signals. I used to own a series of MiniDisc players from them and followed along as ATRAC evolved from "worse than a chewed up 8 track" to decent sounding all using psychoacoustic to throw away information you couldn't hear anyway because it was hidden in other sounds. I guess DSEE HX has learned to reverse the process and now adds in sounds that were previously thrown away. ;)

Can you tell us with which measurements you can claim Sony DSEE HX adds or throw away something in the sound ? and what does Sony adds or throw based on these measurements ?
I guess DSEE HX does something as I can catch it, but as usual this should be able to be measured here, the universal kingdom of measurements.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alas, Sony isn't the company it once was, at least not in audio. I am not aware of any other company that exceeds their record for audio innovation, probably their only rival was Phillips. At one time their audio line catered to every budget and wherever you landed in that range you would get a well engineered product. Now their audio line is split into wireless headphones, speakers and IEMs (some of which are very good), with a sprinkling of really good stuff to show that they can still do it when they want to (some of their wired IEMs for example) and a bit of stuff designed for the audiphool niche. I still have an old Sony ES hi-fi stack and I doubt we will see audio gear manufactured to such standards again. I find it sad. I recently tried their XBA-N3 IEMs and was reminded of what Sony can do when they want to.

JSmith

Master Contributor
That 'aint a Walkman... this is a Walkman!

sony-wm-d6c.jpg

Anyone for a game of knifey spoony? ;)

JSmith

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
That 'aint a Walkman... this is a Walkman!

sony-wm-d6c.jpg

Anyone for a game of knifey spoony? ;)

JSmith
This was my Walkman:
419PVN50VZL._AC_SS450_.jpg

It didn't have any NR but it only needed 1 AA to work.

Top Bottom