• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

bequietjk

I'm hoping it's made of dragon crystal. Can't be too sure at this price point, though.

The Beave

Thank you
Whatever it is the dang thing out classes all it’s competitors imho.
Thing looks Beautiful and nothing like the “black box” look of so many other units.
Amazon us now has delivery date as March to April!
Beave

Last edited:

The Beave

I'm hoping it's made of dragon crystal. Can't be too sure at this price point, though.
Dragon crystal aside, looks wise it blows away all its competitors.
And I like the fact that it DOESNT have a headphone amp! I just wanted a dac with pre amp functionality because I do use the XLR outs and at 4 volts, it bleeds into the other sources in my preamp, so the volume function of the dac allows me to bring that level down to standard cd levels, 2 volts and now I’m a cookin with gas BAYBEE!!!!
Beave

The Beave

Ok Ben, here’s one for you for the New Years! Now this is tongue and cheek here with just a HINT of a hint.

For next year, 2020, Two new Soncoz products (after you’ve made oodles of money from the SGD1 dac) could be:

A full component sized (19”) version of the SDG1 with an OLED display added that adds a couple of features I’ve always wanted, a stereo level meter so we could see at a glance how loud a digital source is......like if a cd is brick walled. Or even just an led that pops on if digital 0 is hit.
An indicator for pre emphasi, so we can see if our cd’s have pre emphasis or not.

And.......a revolutionary product in this market, you could probably list price it at $1500.00 and it would sell, and this would be a Full component sized HYBRID DAC! Wait for it........one that is based on the SDG1 AND...AND a fully realized chip based 20 bit LADDER DAC with a switch that one could chose either one at the flip of a switch!!!
Think of it, NOBODY offers that kind of product, and the market would be wide open with no competitor.
Now of course the SD would blow away the Ladder side on the bench but that’s not the point, I bet there are a significant amount of people who would love to have both kinds just to have fun comparing the sound. And at $1500.00 it would be a bargain, especially with a beautiful OLED display right in the middle of that sucker!!!!

Ok, my fantasy is now over, and If you guys think there would be no market for such a hybrid........I bought the Denafrips, and I’m now buying the SDG1. So there you go..........
lol....I am soooo crazy!.......
Beave

The Beave

Leave it to Beave..
Lol!!
C’mon, I’d be a fun piece of kit! Hell, I’d buy one especially with a dancing level meter in the display, Uber cool that would be.
Now back over to the Denafrips thread where they think I’m nuts.........
Beave

SpyB

Hi Ben,
can you please inform me if the DSD output of the SGD1 has any conversion(like DSD over PCM), or is it direct DSD(no conversion)

Like for instance the RME ADI - 2 DAC ( this has direct DSD)
Thank you

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
Hi Ben,
can you please inform me if the DSD output of the SGD1 has any conversion(like DSD over PCM), or is it direct DSD(no conversion)

Thank you

IMO, it should display this information.

Veri

Master Contributor
The RME only has direct DSD when in DSD mode, in which case all volume control and processing is off.

Any DAC that has volume control will have PCM conversion, you can't have it any other way due to the very nature of DSD..

Labjr

Major Contributor
The RME only has direct DSD when in DSD mode, in which case all volume control and processing is off.

Any DAC that has volume control will have PCM conversion, you can't have it any other way due to the very nature of DSD..

Does this DAC have a direct DSD mode which can be switched on?

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually ESS' last implementation of a volume control also operates directly on DSD thank to a very clever (and massive) trick.
Not sure which ESS chips do have this feature though...

Veri

Master Contributor
Does this DAC have a direct DSD mode which can be switched on?
That's a good question for @Ben1987 but I'm thinking that no, it doesn't. Few have that option.

Actually ESS' volume control also operates directly on DSD thank to a very clever (and massive) trick.
Not sure which ESS chips do have this feature though...
That is news to me! :)

SpyB

Not according to Daniel at RME (I am refering to in this post about the volume control)

Quote from my communication with him

My question
"Is the DSD a direct playback, without conversion to PCM,
and is the volume control available when connected to a
power amp,using ADI-2-Dac fs as a preamp"

Daniel's Response
"indeed DSD is straight playback without PCM conversion. That's the nature of this signal type.
Other options remain unaffected"

I take that he means by "Other options remain unaffected"

that the, volume control is available in direct DSD playback

Maybe I am wrong to assume that is what he means

Last edited:

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where is genuine DSD recorded music freely available ?

I have been watching for years now as everyone has spoken of DSD as being the second coming, but see no market availability of such material.

The same was said of MQA. Though I see no-one asking if this DAC is MQA compatible.

Surely most people have a library of Red Book audio and that is where the mainstream lies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Labjr

Major Contributor
Where is genuine DSD recorded music freely available ?

I have been watching for years now as everyone has spoken of DSD as being the second coming, but see no market availability of such material.

The same was said of MQA. Though I see no-one asking if this DAC is MQA compatible.

Surely most people have a library of Red Book audio and that is where the mainstream lies.

Well we live in a time where supporting multiple formats on one device is easy and inexpensive. So why not?

Sometimes the best available version of an album is a DSD transfer, regardless if it's a pure DSD recording or not. Toto IV comes to mind. I haven't heard a better version of the album.

Top Bottom