• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve been known to be ridiculous before..........
Why stop now!
I mean if you had an amp with a phono pre amp but never used it................has that circuit been broken in?
Beave
But did you know breaking in of electric circuits is non-existent?
As you may have read on the forum recently, temperatures might give a performance difference.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I mean if you had an amp with a phono pre amp but never used it................has that circuit been broken in?

Well... it would been powered on as long as all the other components in the same device in any case.

The Beave

Well... it would been powered on as long as all the other components in the same device in any case.
Ok, you all win! Lol........
I don’t want to derail the thread so.........what else can we talk about for two months?
Amazon us now has the dac’s availability date as March/April last time I checked.
Beave

bequietjk

Was the functionality of the knob discussed here? I don't recall catching that info. Anyone know?

SpyB

sgd1-user-manual.jpg
sgd1-user-manual.jpgThe Knob functionality is explained here,enlarge this image, then zoom and drag to #02 Operations and Settings

Link : http://www.soncoz.com/uploads/1/2/7/2/127246176/sgd1-user-manual.jpg

Last edited:

SpyB

Hi Ben,in the SGD1 manual it states that the dimensions

for the SGD1 are 250W x 225D x 55H,and in the image I have provided it is

225W x 250D x 55H.(image from Amazon.com)

Could you please confirm, the correct dimensions

Thank you

Attachments

• SGD1 Measurement.jpg
    SGD1 Measurement.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

bequietjk

Examining the multitone test of the D90 that amir posted today, I wonder how much of an effect there is when comparing these 2 DACs.

SpyB

Examining the multitone test of the D90 that amir posted today, I wonder how much of an effect there is when comparing these 2 DACs.

I think that as these and other DAC's exhibit measurements that in the realm of inaudibility,

the decision making process of which one do I choose.Will come down to your own personal

preference for the aesthetics presented by the DAC you are interested in,and the features on offer.

Personally myself,I have an issue with the display used by Topping and I have communicated with them on this.

They(Topping) have informed me that they will look at a new display in the future,I have been cited before here

on these forums about my discontent with the display's on offer by manufacturers.If I remember correctly it was said

to me "You do not listen to the display". The thing is / I say if you are going to offer a display then offer the best,

there are font and numerical perfect display's out there. I know I have seen them, and the manufacturers need to get with the

program and make them available in their DAC's.

n.b. I do not like those displays that are dot matrix type/ and those of the type that Topping used.
And I guess that is pretty much all of the display's available,except those on the mega $$$$ Dac's
well not all of them.Look at the $90,000 Dac from MSB The Select Dac 2,this display on a $90,000
$$$ rip off, it is disgraceful (What a Joke)
Although I believe even the best display's, are not a huge cost factor.
So I say again to the manufacturers/ Hi Res/ font and numerical perfect display's PLEASE!!!!

Last edited:

SpyB

In my rant before about display's (of which I am passionate about improvement and change).

I missed one thing / and that is, that even though the measurements of some dac's

Have reached inaudibility, the measurements are still the critical factor that help us

determine good from bad.And before ASR / Amirm,Wolf and Stereophile + a few

scattered measurements here and there.I think we mostly purchased blindly,believing

the subjective reviews we would read,I know that is how it was for me before ASR

Last edited:

Jave

Is it available from somewhere? Can't find any place that sales the DAC at the moment.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is it available from somewhere? Can't find any place that sales the DAC at the moment.
I think Amazon. aliexpress shows 'out of stock'. Check out the SONCOZ website for links.

Last edited:

WHO23

Forum Donor
I think Amazon, aliexpress shows 'out of stock'. Check out the SONCOZ website for links.
Hey @Veri, I tried to order Soncoz SGD1 but I can't seem to find it on AliExpress. Can you please share the AliExpress link?

Last edited:

WHO23

Forum Donor
Cool thanks. There was 1 unit left so I ordered the last unit. I just picked up a Hattor passive preamplifier to control the volume so the ESS IMD hump wont affect me for the setup.

Last edited:

bequietjk

I can't wait to see how the SGD1 in black stacks with the THX 789.

2 months? I don't know how long I can hold
1577221563801.png

The Beave

Hey, Merry Christmas and a Happy Honika, Happy Dappy Holidays, Felis Na Vee Dad to you all!
And yeah, my spell check is broken, now back to my Family drama, it’s really hot this year with my oldest daughter splitting up as we speak with her live in boyfriend.
Boy, I’m so glad I got a bottle of Lunizul Tequila for Christmas, it’s 10:42 am here, too early to start??
Lol!!
Beave

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey, Merry Christmas and a Happy Honika, Happy Dappy Holidays, Felis Na Vee Dad to you all!
And yeah, my spell check is broken, now back to my Family drama, it’s really hot this year with my oldest daughter splitting up as we speak with her live in boyfriend.
Boy, I’m so glad I got a bottle of Lunizul Tequila for Christmas, it’s 10:42 am here, too early to start??
Lol!!
Beave
This is so off topic it's funny, lol. Good luck with that o_O

Happy holidays everyone :)!

SpyB

Hi Ben,
Is the display panel of the SGD1 Tempered Glass,

or some type of plastic

Thank you

Top Bottom