• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some stupid Interconnect questions

SuperDerpBro

I would like to try my hand at making a couple very short RCAs. Less than a foot. I'd also like to make a short SPDIF cable for a CD player.

I have a bunch of these.. could I use a short one (0.5m) as coax for my CD player while I wait to make my own?

Is there a type of wire that is inexpensive and would work for both RCA and COAX? Could I just cut up some of the above?

Can the normal RCA plugs also be used for my DIY coax cable?

I think I know the answer to all of these. I'd just like to make sure, heh. :/

Cheers :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to try my hand at making a couple very short RCAs. Less than a foot. I'd also like to make a short SPDIF cable for a CD player.

I have a bunch of these.. could I use a short one (0.5m) as coax for my CD player while I wait to make my own?

Is there a type of wire that is inexpensive and would work for both RCA and COAX? Could I just cut up some of the above?

Can the normal RCA plugs also be used for my DIY coax cable?

I think I know the answer to all of these. I'd just like to make sure, heh. :/

Cheers :)
If you want 6 inchers these are great and they use a bendable coax cable design which is very easy to work with for beginners.
If you want the experience of assembling a cable then use RG6 in black color or white. It is easily available and is tough and durable.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nice touch.... 'van den HUI' looks like it says 'van den Hul' :)

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

If you want 6 inchers these are great and they use a bendable coax cable design which is very easy to work with for beginners.
If you want the experience of assembling a cable then use RG6 in black color or white. It is easily available and is tough and durable.
Nice touch.... 'van den HUI' looks like it says 'van den Hul' :)
Yeah, I saw that...lol. ClassY!
I love it. LOL
wut? lol

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

If I use RG6 do I have to use compression connectors and tool? Or can I solder to RCA plugs?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, you have to solder RCA plugs.

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

Looked on YouTube and all I could find was people using RCA compression connectors on solid core. With a special tool, that I don't want to buy (heh). I'm okay with soldering. Just wanted to make sure. :)

What about RG-59 75 ohm?

I think I have one of these (6ft) that I can chop up.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would not use solid core coax wire but supple ones.
Solid core is not needed anyway nor desirable for short lengths.

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

Is there a type of wire that is inexpensive and would work for both RCA and COAX?

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

I found a very long component cable in my closet. the only identifier on the cable is "OFC Premium Componant Video Cable"

IMG_20221110_163417963.jpg

Would this be ok for a 6 inch RCA?

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

Thanks. :)

The core seems quite thin. A bit thinner than a normal TV coax cable when I hold them together. But I will try it. :) heh

Top Bottom