• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some new stuff from Topping and SMSL.

THEV

Fuck, should I wait for the dx7 pro or go with a local rme-adi 2 dac deal for 700?

Veri

Master Contributor
Fuck, should I wait for the dx7 pro or go with a local rme-adi 2 dac deal for 700?
Depends. Do you think you'll like all the customization/tweaking on the ADI? If you prefer a set-and-forget kind of device this one will trigger your OCD for sure, lol.

THEV

Depends. Do you think you'll like all the customization/tweaking on the ADI? If you prefer a set-and-forget kind of device this one will trigger your OCD for sure, lol.
I really like to tweak and experiment constantly so I am leaning towards taking the deal

Jimmy

The ADI 2 DAC and the topping DX7S/Pro are different propositions, the topping has balanced HP output but lacks DSP capabilities.

The problem nowadays with the topping is that it cannot be found for less than 400$ and the new Pro ver. is rumored to be about 600$, SINAD of a prototype according to J.Mansilla is about 107dB so if that's the case the HP amp section must make the difference to be worth it, industrial design is more polished, though.

Lack of analog input is also a minus in my view, discounting it as an AIO unit. I'll wait to see how production units perform, I've been waiting for a single unit that does it all and the closest that I've seen is the ADI 2 Pro FS but the lack of standard balanced headphone HP connection among other details have stopped me from pulling the trigger.

cjeong

Emailed Topping Support, they said that the D70 will be available in Black.

Tks

Major Contributor

For 700, I wouldn't even waste a second thinking about it. If its in good condition, don't wait.

THEV

For 700, I wouldn't even waste a second thinking about it. If its in good condition, don't wait.
Yeah I pulled the trigger as the unit is only 3 months old and is basically in perfect condition!

Would really like to know what the cost of the D70 will be. Was looking at the SMSL M300 but realized that there is one big design flaw. There isn't 2 USB inputs like with the Sanskrit 10th. So i am guessing the device will be under powered with just the USB power from the PC and you will be limited to Optical.

Tks

Major Contributor
Would really like to know what the cost of the D70 will be. Was looking at the SMSL M300 but realized that there is one big design flaw. There isn't 2 USB inputs like with the Sanskrit 10th. So i am guessing the device will be under powered with just the USB power from the PC and you will be limited to Optical.

Read somewhere someone called them and they said it'll be out in a few months (less than three I think), and the cost ~$650 probably.

Viper Necklampy

Any probabity SMSL VMV D2 will have upsampling at least 24bit/96khz? At least on optical, don't wanna use 16/48 on old systems.. This units would be great on Hi-Res content, upsampling is needed with around 130dB dynamic range :) Also, does the system will be limited to 96dB of dynamic range if the source is 16-bit? I was thinking it, because the max dynamic range of 16bit is just 96dB :( I would use a lot of 16bit sources

Last edited:
OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Read somewhere someone called them and they said it'll be out in a few months (less than three I think), and the cost ~$650 probably.

You've got it mixed up. The US$600+ price range is for the DX7Pro. Not the D70.

The one that will be available in May is the D70. The DX7Pro is '3 Months away' as of 31st March direct from the Topping reps. So it should be a July release.

The VMV D2 will be a 24 -Bit R2R ladder DAC. So, you should expect some of its limitations too. Didn't ask about its bit rate specs. But as the show floor, it sounded as good as the D1 via their (not to be released any time soon) P1 headphone amp. There were possibly subtle differences between the D1 and D2 but i couldn't pick it up despite being plugged into a HD800. the showfloor noise probably made a far larger difference.

Reactions: Tks

Viper Necklampy

You've got it mixed up. The US$600+ price range is for the DX7Pro. Not the D70.

The one that will be available in May is the D70. The DX7Pro is '3 Months away' as of 31st March direct from the Topping reps. So it should be a July release.

The VMV D2 will be a 24 -Bit R2R ladder DAC. So, you should expect some of its limitations too. Didn't ask about its bit rate specs. But as the show floor, it sounded as good as the D1 via their (not to be released any time soon) P1 headphone amp. There were possibly subtle differences between the D1 and D2 but i couldn't pick it up despite being plugged into a HD800. the showfloor noise probably made a far larger difference.
What means 24 -Bit R2R ladder Dac? Can't find any explanation on the internet..

OP
maxxevv

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Last I seen someone talk about R2R, he made it seem as if this is the best sort of way to make DAC's

My knowledge on the matter is nonexistent. Does this hold truth in practice?

I have not tried one myself other than the D2 at the show floor.

But like well implemented tube-amps versus solid-state amps, its more often than not a matter of preference.

A well implemented DAC shouldn't differ from others in the information it can decipher and reproduce into analogue form for listening. But perhaps the way its presented may differ, resulting in a somewhat different " signature".

Its like a friend who is so used to his 9018 chipped DAC that he insists that well implemented 9038Q2M and 9038PRO based DAC's sound "noisy".
Preferences and bias does come into play on such things. I thought that a AK4490 DAC sounded too "syrupy" for my liking too. But many in places like Japan, they swear by the "signature". Can't say they are wrong can we ? :rolleyes:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Last I seen someone talk about R2R, he made it seem as if this is the best sort of way to make DAC's

My knowledge on the matter is nonexistent. Does this hold truth in practice?
Not that I have seen. R2Rs were the way we used to make DACs. The come back is driven by audiophile beliefs, not better performance.

Top Bottom