• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solid Snake-Oil Storage: This SSD Is Aimed at Audiophiles

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, another new snake oil product.

If you thought a $2,500 audiophile-focused ethernet switch was strange, then you'll also be amused with this NVMe SSD designed specifically for audiophiles. Last known to be in the sampling phase, the new device was posted to the Audiophilestyle forums. Supposedly, the drive can increase audio quality and give you real 3D sound along with an experience that only comes from vinyl recordings, but don't look for this drive on our list of Best SSDs any time soon — its impact on audio quality is questionable, to say the least.

Schiit should see if they could purchase the rights to sell a rebranded one under their name. They could make a ton of money off this. lol

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The original thread is here.

Priceless entertainment.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear God.

And it just goes on and on and on...

FEMTO NVMe Drive review

=======================

Drives are an essential part of an audio server. They hold the OS and they are needed for music storage.

Ideally they should be transparent, not affect playback of music. But in my experience that ideal is difficult

to achieve. Media storage drives in the USB audio out server seem particularly difficult to solve for the DIY builder...

I've tried internal NVMe, SSD,HD,SDXC and USB3 attached variations, in the end NAS solution prevailed

for cleaner, better sound.

But the OS can't be outsourced, has to be physically attached/bootable. OS drives do affect sound,

in particular (a) media player speed,(b) transient attack and (c) digital irritants. With Euphony I've traveled

the usual path of first using USB3 boot, then SSD, and for some time now Ive used Optane M.2 memory

as the best drive option for OS storage. My recent attempt to better Optane using a Samsung 970 Plus NVMe

drive didn't pan out for me as (c) got worse with no appreciable benefits vs Optane.

Enter the FEMTO NVMe drive as something different to try; I was intrigued as my recent purchase of

a Denafrips IRIS DDC with FEMTO clocking had been a success, perhaps FEMTO clocking on board would matter

for a drive also? The ability to power the drive externally was also promising given how NUC audio output

improved with better main-board power supply. The FEMTO NVMe drive has a nice set of features,

feel free to check the features posted earlier and there is anticipated addition of a heat sink option

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Priceless entertainment.

On page two there seem to be a single user trying to speak to reason. One of the replies he gets is:

"I guess if a music listener does not have the belief in certain components having an impact on Sound Quality then this entire Thread is a moot point...Right?"

And yet nobody, not even the user who wrote it, stops to think about what that could imply :facepalm:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On page two there seem to be a single user trying to speak to reason. One of the replies he gets is:

"I guess if a music listener does not have the belief in certain components having an impact on Sound Quality then this entire Thread is a moot point...Right?"

And yet nobody, not even the user who wrote it, stops to think about what that could imply :facepalm:

Well, the likely reason for that is because a couple of years ago the site's owner consigned all "objectivist" discussion to an "Objective-Fi" subform. Objections/probing questions about the actual science behind this stuff or whether or not it's even plausible that it would make an audible difference are considered uniformly off-topic for any subform except the Objective-Fi subforum, and members are subject to discipline if they violate that rule.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It is hard to feel any pity...

Holmz

Major Contributor

deprogrammed

Priceless entertainment.
Holy Shit. That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. Made it 2 pages.
If all these little things have a HUGE impact....what the hell were they listening to when they started. What the hell am I listening to now. I guess just garbled noise.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Holy Shit. That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. Made it 2 pages.
If all these little things have a HUGE impact....what the hell were they listening to when they started. What the hell am I listening to now. I guess just garbled noise.

Their signatures, where their systems are inventoried down to the power lines in some cases are making me laugh. Wow...thats some nutty shit.

Top Bottom