• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solid Snake-Oil Storage: This SSD Is Aimed at Audiophiles

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By way of example, this text will explain all the magical properties of Crystals. We have two copies in this household:
I'm as big a fan of shiny objects as anyone. My problem is that I can't afford the stuff. The genius of Yoshiaki Sugano was that, unlike women, he knew he couldn't sell jewelry to men. But he had an idea. He wrapped his diamonds and rubies in semi-precious stones, put them in a simple, hand carved wooden presentation box, and then proceeded to sell them for more money than anyone anywhere ever thought possible! :)

koetsu.jpg

Offler

A little piling on...

Let's hope more of this lunacy gets called out regularly.
The most snake-oil in PC components is sold over baseless claims of NVidia vs AMD vs Intel.

I even caught some people putting benchmarks for Intel running RAM on 1333MHz, which was maximum for the processor, while AMD of the same generation was also tested at 1333MHz and the reviewer concluded it was fair. Except the AMD CPU was capable of 1600MHz. Reviewers many times got away with things like Dual Channel vs Quad channel, or using rams with less chips/less populated Ranks, or optimized RAM vs un-optimized...

But generally speaking, most PC users are objectivists. They might fall for such marketing in reviews, however... The data about this SSD are not objective in any way.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do you think it matters anything?

Logic does not apply to golden ears ;)

You've got to catch them before they are too heavily invested to possibly be wrong.

I'd say between Tom and pcgamer, they might have kept a few from being swindled...

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we should create a startup.

Everyone knows that GPUs can introduce noise in a PC. Now most of us have sense enough to know that you can get an external dac/amp that will solve that problem.

But I bet you we can convince audiophiles that the $50 GPU patented, special alloy chipset heatsinks from our new company can help to reduce the noise that they might also be experiencing from their external dac/amp. And if they are not comfortable changing out the heat sinks, our special trained technicians can do it for $100 plus shipping and handling of their GPU.

I have no doubt we could spin all of this with some excellent marketing prose. In fact, take the lesson of Bose. At least half of our startup costs should be put towards the best marketing firm we can find.

lol

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The most snake-oil in PC components is sold over baseless claims of NVidia vs AMD vs Intel.

I even caught some people putting benchmarks for Intel running RAM on 1333MHz, which was maximum for the processor, while AMD of the same generation was also tested at 1333MHz and the reviewer concluded it was fair. Except the AMD CPU was capable of 1600MHz. Reviewers many times got away with things like Dual Channel vs Quad channel, or using rams with less chips/less populated Ranks, or optimized RAM vs un-optimized...

But generally speaking, most PC users are objectivists. They might fall for such marketing in reviews, however... The data about this SSD are not objective in any way.

Haha, well, most of PC components can be benchmarked. From games to applications etc.... Of course there are a few things that cannot be benchmarked (user experience).

Holmz

Major Contributor
It is sort of smart…
Look for people with money, and one that are easily sold on magical nuance.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Why am I panicking about Christmas right now? Clearly it’s only April 1st…
:facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe just get a TT and you can avoid the need for a fancy SSD
Now there's a way to really waste your Hi Fi budget.

The crew at Computer Audiophile (aka) Audiophile Style really let the cheese slide off the cracker some time back with talk of different sounding SATA cables and alike. LOL A shame what happened to what was once a good site till the owner got greedy for ad money. JMHO :(

I did recently complete the conversion of my music server to all SSD. Not for any SQ reason but to lower the PC's noise. I didn't realize how much noise a spinner drive made till I took the last one out. Just slowly working towards a silent PC with only a few fans left making noise. I've now got right at 8 TB of onboard SSD storage with an outboard 12 TB spinner doing backup chores when needed.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
PC world is unrational, too, though much less. most people don't need more than I a core-i3 for example, but buy super powerfull CPUs

Galliardist

Major Contributor

hmscott

I think we should create a startup.

Everyone knows that GPUs can introduce noise in a PC. Now most of us have sense enough to know that you can get an external dac/amp that will solve that problem.

But I bet you we can convince audiophiles that the $50 GPU patented, special alloy chipset heatsinks from our new company can help to reduce the noise that they might also be experiencing from their external dac/amp. And if they are not comfortable changing out the heat sinks, our special trained technicians can do it for $100 plus shipping and handling of their GPU.

I have no doubt we could spin all of this with some excellent marketing prose. In fact, take the lesson of Bose. At least half of our startup costs should be put towards the best marketing firm we can find.

lol
That Audiophile SSD company is already miles ahead :)

"Optional heat defusing heatsinks, solid aluminum with copper plating further enhances performance and heat dissipation by more that 10-degree Fahrenheit compare to commercial heatsinks."

https://zzyzxphile.com/eng/products/revelation_audio_ssd/
nvme_femto_p4.jpg

Good news they have "1 in sotck"

"800 USD - 1 in sotck - (due to global component shortage, next batch of production ETA Feb 2022, and the price may increase)"

The cost of everything is going... up, up, up!!

Last edited:

escksu

PC world is unrational, too, though much less. most people don't need more than I a core-i3 for example, but buy super powerfull CPUs

Not everyone uses their PC for word processing and net surfing...There are those who require performacne from more cores....

escksu

That Audiophile SSD company is already miles ahead :)

"Optional heat defusing heatsinks, solid aluminum with copper plating further enhances performance and heat dissipation by more that 10-degree Fahrenheit compare to commercial heatsinks."

https://zzyzxphile.com/eng/products/revelation_audio_ssd/
nvme_femto_p4.jpg

Good news they have "1 in sotck"

"800 USD - 1 in sotck - (due to global component shortage, next batch of production ETA Feb 2022, and the price may increase)"

The cost of everything is going... up, up, up!!

The heatsink is actually not bad looking..... although I don't see why is there a need for heatsink. It won't get that hot.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Just as I thought it couldn't get any more dumb, they make a heat sink that looks like an acoustic diffuser. I bet it's designed to make people belive it is cooling the chips in a more analog way... :facepalm::p

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Just as I thought it couldn't get any more dumb, they make a heat sink that looks like an acoustic diffuser. I bet it's designed to make people belive it is cooling the chips in a more analog way... :facepalm::p

you don't understand, it is a heat defusing heatsink lol
but they are not lying. the design spreads the heat out on the increased surface.
obviously it still is inferior to the standard solution which are the fins

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s really difficult to cool digitally :D

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It’s really difficult to cool digitally :D

Yeah well, some audiophiles seem to be so focused on the dreaded mythical creature called "digital glare" that they see it in everything and anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the normal alternating high/low structure of a cooling profile makes them anxious :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep - takes the appearance of a digital soundstage.

Top Bottom