• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yesterday was nice.

Clear blue sky in the morning, puffy clouds in the afternoon, with a base at 4800 feet.

Two hours and thirty five minutes, with three others in the air and occasionally crossing paths or sharing a thermal.

1638455363751.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday was nice.

Clear blue sky in the morning, puffy clouds in the afternoon, with a base at 4800 feet.

Two hours and thirty five minutes, with three others in the air and occasionally crossing paths or sharing a thermal.

View attachment 169630
How am I to count the circles when you fly like that? :D Geeech... Why is there a red plane outline at the top of the pic?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

MRC01

Major Contributor
@RayDunzl I love these posts you share about your flying.
I've always wanted to get my glider rating. For my BFRs, instead of getting the usual checkout flights, I often use it as an excuse to earn new ratings and endorsements.
Your posts have me considering getting my glider rating this spring when the time comes and weather improves.
Any suggestions?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Your posts have me considering getting my glider rating this spring when the time comes and weather improves.
Any suggestions?

Suggestions? I dunno.

I had to look up what a BFR (Biennial Flight Review) is.

We get two or three pilots a month that want to add a rating.

Here's a B777 and Mighty Luscomb pilot taking his first glider ride...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New record flight time last Friday, three hours and eight minutes.

18 flights in my glider now. About 24 hours airtime in it, 65 hours total.

Practicing extending the glides a bit.

Probably will take the "written" test next week, and expect to do the check Ride January 24th or 25th.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get my "Silver Badge" for a five hour flight in the spring when the days are longer and conditions improve.

Need to devise a better seat cushion, what I have goes flat after two hours or so.

Bought square foot of 1/4" lead sheet for the ballast, as suggested earlier.

They've started paving the runway extension. Some kind of hard-pack trucked in dirt/clay (local dirt is all sand) with a few inches of asphalt on top.

Local airspace:
Bottom left, Tampa Class B, our ceiling is 3,000 feet.
Top left, Tampa Class B but above 6000 feet.
Right side, no altitude limits that will affect us with the conditions we have to work with.

1641208550538.png

1641209355254.png

Happy New Year...

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've been using SeeYou Navigator on my phone to log flights, but just kept it out of sight to concentrate on flying.

The plane is not terribly stable "hands off" or when you aren't paying attention - it won't stay straight and level without inputs.

But Friday I bought a mount to stick to the canopy and watched the display some while flying.

Best feature is the thermal assistant. As you begin to circle, it zooms in from the navigational display and shows up close where you're heading real-time and where the lift/sink is/was, and makes it a lot easier to find the lift again after the thermal spits you out. At 50/60 mph you can get away from it pretty quickly.

Don't have an appropriate screenshot, will have to figure out how to make one on the phone, but this illustrates the idea on a dedicated device (not the phone display, but similar). Red is areas of lift, on the phone the line gets bolder/wider, with the strength. Black is your position and heading:

1641210533559.png

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The plane was manufactured in 1980, and has probably sat outside for most of its life.

The ailerons are operated via a long pushrod, and were squeaky/sticky/binding a bit.

There are a pair of rollers the pushrod goes through, hidden and inaccessible in the wing, that do not require lubrication.

But that's where the noise was coming from.

So I lubed them with some DuPont Chain Saver waxy/teflon spray through some tiny vent holes in the back of the wing, and now the stick has almost fingertip control, much better than previously. Just blindly aim and fire toward the assumed position 100 inches from the wing root.

1641211912637.png

A second problem with this airframe was flap flutter. At +/-65mph, with 0 degrees flaps, if you hit the right little turbulence to set it off, the flap free play would let them flutter up and down, rather violently. i could see the wingtips shaking up and down maybe six inches, and it wasn't good.

Look it up, about the only suggestions were to reduce free play if excessive (it isn't excessive on mine) by shimming some part of the controls, or applying some positive flap to put air pressure on them to stop the flutter.

http://members.goldengate.net/~tmrent/soar/docs/135/ramb135.htm -- search for flutter

I didn't like either of those choices very much, but came up with a solution:

A few inches of 1 inch foam PVC Pipe insulation, cut lengthwise to make it a half-round, and jammed in between the flap and the wing, puts a little pressure on the flap when it is in its neutral position, to damp/stop the free play and resultant oscillation, and I haven't noticed the flutter since.

Success.

1641212403115.png

I'm running out of stuff to work on.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The plane was manufactured in 1980, and has probably sat outside for most of its life.

The ailerons are operated via a long pushrod, and were squeaky/sticky/binding a bit.

I didn't like either of those choices very much, but came up with a solution:

A few inches of foam PVC Pipe insulation, cut lengthwise to make it a half-round, and jammed in between the flap and the wing, puts a little pressure on the flap when it is in its neutral position, to damp/stop the free play and resultant oscillation, and I haven't noticed the flutter since.

Success.

View attachment 176374

I'm running out of stuff to work on.
If it's like my last vintage car, you'll keep fixing it until it's broken.

That pool noodle hack is epic.

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The foam is a clever fix, but seems like whatever underlying issue exists hasn’t been addressed (unless it’s a design defect).

Could the weight and balance of the flap be off due to painting? Or might weights be missing from the flaps to get the moment of inertia correct? Or do the hinges have any fore-aft adjustment at the mounting point?

Last edited:

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just skimmed through the document you attached… what about gap seals for the ailerons/flaps to manage flutter?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Could the weight and balance of the flap be off due to painting?

Maybe.

Or might weights be missing from the flaps to get the moment of inertia correct?

Don't think there were any ever.

Or do the hinges have any fore-aft adjustment at the mounting point?

No hinge adjustments.

Just skimmed through the document you attached… what about gap seals for the ailerons/flaps to manage flutter?

The upper side of the aileron is taped, but they aren't the problem.

I'll just consider it fixed unless it comes up again.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last week, made an appointment for the license written test.

Got there, and the test center was closed, no staff, due to Covid.

Talked to someone from the flight school there.

He gave me his business card:

1642686867899.png

Rescheduled for another location last Monday.

Passed.

Next is the Practical Test - talk and fly with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

I already know his name, and won't be intimidated by it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 180415

Passed.

Next is the Practical Test - talk and fly with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

Chuck Norris too. Ooooh!

I needed a cert for work at one time, and had to get a sign off from Richard Head.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
22 flights now, haven't visibly bent it yet...

1642688565219.png

It's a pretty snug fit...

1642688659470.png

Longest flight, a little over three hours now...

50 feet of wing:

1642688821718.png

Still not consistent on landings, but we have a lot of room to land.

Comparison of a plane (all aluminum, mid-70's design) like mine that belongs to the Club and a more modern plane (maybe 20~25 years old) in glass composites. The newer one is a little more slippery, but they can fly together pretty well, until the newer one straightens out and exhibits a speed advantage.

Waiting for a tow:

1642690834383.png

A Southwest Pilot took the orange club plane up yesterday for the first time, listened to everyone's advice but still ended up landing way short. That leaves you with a long walk holding a wing while being towed with a golf cart.

"I forgot to tell you something..."

"What? That it comes down fast in a headwind?"

"Uh, yeah, well, that too..."

Flaps down. That's all you have in it to slow down and adjust descent rate. Every landing is a new adventure.

1642691377658.png

It takes a little more practice/finesse than air brakes/spoilers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 180415

Passed.

Wowow. Chuck Norris!!!

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom