• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Kv7eFJ96wmmNJAUj9wDt4W-1920-80.jpg.webp

Bah Humbug !!!

EDIT Some more : Pretty much every search result is from 2015 - and most seem to roundly mock it like the video below. If anything should persuade you that Sony is not the company for you, the fact that they have moved in this direction (even if 8 years ago, and even failed), it should be this.

That sissy Fonzie doing the stunt on 2 ski's
Probably took him 2 months to learn to do that. LOL

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even if you accept the "SD cards can alter sound even if the files are exactly the same digitally" premise, then why it's that so contrived that it only applies to just the card itself while also not applicable to the zillions of integrated and discrete circuits right beside it built on the same EE principles?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if you accept the "SD cards can alter sound even if the files are exactly the same digitally" premise, then why it's that so contrived that it only applies to just the card itself while also not applicable to the zillions of integrated and discrete circuits right beside it built on the same EE principles?
Once you can warp your beliefs to that point. you'll probably buy anything.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
takemymoney.jpg

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a practical question though. What is the SD supposed to store? Music? But, why put your music in an SD card? To expand storage of portable devices?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy had it right in 2016: "Marketed to those audiofools who will spend anything to make it sound better. And you know what, it is going to work...cause when you pay five times the price for a memory card, you are going to hear the difference. Link

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 321004

There is no end to it. But let's not bring the madness of other fora here.

DonR

Major Contributor

DonR

Major Contributor
I know, our 75" Sony TV decided to go 3D on us over the summer.

3 years old and it delaminated. Sony says it's not their problem, so won't be buying from them again.

View attachment 321012
I had a CD player from the early 90's that worked a treat for over 20 years until I sold it. Built like a tank. I think Sony is mostly a brand name now.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 321004

Good lord, the replies to that comment... somehow I was expecting "no, you fool, it's placebo" but they actually doubled and tripled down on the concept. Apparently now 3GB buffers sound better than 2GB and 4GB sounds better than 3. So... if you only read audio into RAM every few hours instead of every few minutes, it improves the sound quality?

Thanks for reminding me why I haven't gone over to Head-fi for a few years. I'd have thrown too many perfectly good keyboards out the window if I did.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know, our 75" Sony TV decided to go 3D on us over the summer.

3 years old and it delaminated. Sony says it's not their problem, so won't be buying from them again.

View attachment 321012
My $4k Sony XBR75 blew up at 8 months, it was replaced with a refirb'e set that was never right.
I replaced it with a 85" Samsung in May for half the money. I only hope is it lasts twice as long. LOL

Victor Martell

My $4k Sony XBR75 blew up at 8 months, it was replaced with a refirb'e set that was never right.
I replaced it with a 85" Samsung in May for half the money. I only hope is it lasts twice as long. LOL
TBF - That is the case with consumer electronics - Sony HAD the reputation of being an exception, but current market conditions are the great equalizer - everything is built in the same spots, quality similar. After many years of buying nothing but Sony for my consumer stuff, like (mostly home theatre, but also car audio which I don't care about at all) I switched to Samsung and LG - lucky with Samsung, not so much with LG, but I've heard the opposite... guess with that stuff... it's all about luck...

:D

Top Bottom