• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9

Kristian Paul

I just received this unit. For playing from the DO of my Rotel rcd-971 cd player I'd give it 4 out of 5, considering the resolution. But I need the right driver to stream from my PC. SMSL site has a driver download, but when I try to open it Windows tells me there's not an app associated with this driver, and directs me to the default app panel. Of course there's nothing useful there. Despite a life in audio, this is probably a 101 question, but any help is appreciated.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you drop a link for the driver download page here?

OP
Kristian Paul

Kristian Paul

Thank for the link. The driver appears to be correctly installed. At least the DAC sees the sample rate (44.1 for now). No analog out. Hmmm. FWIW the coax DI is fine.

OP
Kristian Paul

Kristian Paul

Thanks guys. Here's the outcome:

When I had the driver installed (thanks again ;)), I could plug the USB into the DAC, and it would switch from "No Input" to 44.1k. So it was seeing something, but playing a file using windows was a fail. Taking the advice of a local friend I downloaded AVS Media Player. It's free, a loss-leader, as AVS has lots of stuff for sale.

Anyway, in the Sound Control Panel: Playback, there was now a choice for SMSL USB. It plays music now. So, I'm really looking forward to exploring it, the various playback modes, and of course hi res streaming. But fresh out of the box, I've never heard my CD's sound so good. Almost as good as some of my cleaner vinyl records :cool:.

JustasG

Can you please explain if i will be able to connect to the SU-9 wirelessly via bluetooth and play MQA from Tidal?

DougNoOnions

I am having issues playing in exclusive mode + MQA with the Tidal + SU-9 (over USB, Windows PC with SU drivers installed). It's a clipping sound.

Top Bottom