• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

ceausuc

could be an idea to ask/force SMSL to designate a repair company for each continent.
something like: audiophonics-Europe, apos-US, etc
that could lower shipping fees and trouble for (unfortunate) SMSL customers.

Dingenus

This is the answer I got now from Shenzhen via Amazon.

Hi, it is need back your device to China.
Will t hat be ok with you?Thanks

But I will wait what is going to happen for at least a month.

mycose

This is the answer I got now from Shenzhen via Amazon.

Hi, it is need back your device to China.
Will t hat be ok with you?Thanks

But I will wait what is going to happen for at least a month.

I received practically the same reply from them. All of us are pretty much a lost case since it seems the units can't be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade, you need a flashing tool (J-Link I think?) in order to be able to flash the fixed firmware.

atavacron

Has anyone experimented with the gain at the XLR output? I have a pro audio application that requires 0dBFS to measure 7.75V (or +20dBu). I'd like to avoid a second gain stage. An OPA1612 is more than capable of that level with a bipolar 12V supply. @amirm measured 5.3V balanced (or +16.7dBu). @brad pitt ?

Someone who knows the 9038Pro's output impedance better than I might be able to spec the correct value for Rf, but if four channels in parallel are ~50Ω and that Rf is 453Ω, I'm guessing that to go from 5.3V max output to 7.75V max output would require an Rf of 657Ω. Looks like the MELF is a Vishay MMA 0204. Cf might have to shrink a touch too.

Second link from the @xhitespirit post is the clearest.

View attachment 101126View attachment 101127

These are the best I can have, reduced because of 1MB upload file limit. PM me if you wish full size...

Dingenus

The last reaction of Shenzhen to me:

Hi, the factory will not send tool to customers, it need to back to China.
And if there have duty fee, please contact me, i will refund it.
Thanks

So I am going to see what customs documents I must submit. Sending with track and trace +insurance(€500)= circa €35

Magnifico

@Dan: This device is far better (without the firmware bug).

Device-Fix:
Same here....hifigo needs the device to be sent back to them.
They share the costs for that with me.

richbandit

I'm providing a brief update to my earlier post (#835). Even though I, personally, was happy with my SU-9 I found I was becoming more and more anxious about where this whole issue was heading, such that I finally lost confidence with keeping the unit at all As it seems some others have done so, I also purchased from Audiophonics and they agreed to take the unit back as I'd only had it in my possession about a week. It's currently in transit to them and so I'm awaiting a refund in due course ...

Meanwhile, I thought 'what the hell - you only live once' and went ahead and got an ADI-2 DAC FS, which I received yesterday. All I can say is WOW! And WOW again! What a difference ....

Somewhat more than I'd originally planned to spend on a DAC, but I guess it proves the old adage that (sometimes) you only get what you pay for (or are prepared to pay for!).

Happy listening!

mycose

I'm providing a brief update to my earlier post (#835). Even though I, personally, was happy with my SU-9 I found I was [...]
Happy listening!

Lucky you! Shenzhen audio hasn't even recalled old units and they are not willing to send flashing tools to affected customers.

I'm wondering... do you think your new DAC sounds any different from your old SU-9? Obviously without all the fancy features (EQ and other stuff). I mean, vanilla vs. vanilla, do you think there's any perceptible difference?

richbandit

Lucky you! Shenzhen audio hasn't even recalled old units and they are not willing to send flashing tools to affected customers.

I'm wondering... do you think your new DAC sounds any different from your old SU-9? Obviously without all the fancy features (EQ and other stuff). I mean, vanilla vs. vanilla, do you think there's any perceptible difference?

Certainly - up front disclaimer, this will be my personal subjective view of course, with my particular set-up, and I'm mindful that such views are sometimes frowned upon within this forum because it's not 'scientific' enough! This may be a little long-winded, so don't shout at me, please!

As mentioned by '304290' in his post (#839) reply to mine, he felt the bass of the SU-9 was 'bloated and loose', whereas I considered it to be fuller but not boomy, both our views compared to the Khadas Tone Board. I personally thought the SU-9 was overall cleaner and fuller sounding than the KTB, with my set-up, and had this 'issue' not been brought to my attention I probably would have stuck with it and I was happy with it.

Now listening to the ADI-2 DAC, however, I find the difference in overall sound quite remarkable and I now realise what I've been missing! I had expected (hoped for?) it to be better, being double the cost of the SU-9, but now straight out of the box (no changes to factory settings or anything else) I find the overall sound to be very noticeably crisper, fuller and richer than the SU-9 was, right across all frequencies; music just sounds 'alive', if you see what I mean. When I say 'very noticeable' I mean just that - the overall increase in quality of sound is far from subtle, it's immediately apparent and evident which is why I said 'WOW' in my earlier post.

The bass is absolutely wonderful, controlled & deep, (304290 - you were obviously right about the SU-9's boomy bass, then - only now can I tell what real bass reproduction should sound like!). Soundstage is good, I can't compare it to anything other than the KTB of course, but I'd say it was about the same.

I've still yet to get my head around the convoluted menu structure of knobs and buttons, and all the options available, but at the moment I'm loath to play around with it too much because it just sounds terrific as it is, straight out of the box.

So my personal opinion is that the ADI-2 sounds much better than the SU-9 (there, I've said it!) but, as we know it is twice the cost so I would have hoped for some improvement.

FYI, my set-up is all digital: Macbook Air playing Audirvana (FLAC files, some hi-res) >> ADI-2 DAC >> My-Ref Fremen FE dual-mono amps (built my me to highest spec) >> IPL Acoustics M1TLM transmission line speakers (also built by me to highest spec).

Off topic so excuse me, but by way of a further comparison, way back in the early '80's I was in the fortunate position to purchase a full top-of-the-range Marantz separates setup. It was the best sounding combination of kit in the shop at the time, I was able to afford it, so I went for it. It was my pride and joy and stayed with me until around 4/5 years or so ago when living room reconfiguring meant it was just too big to sensibly keep (the speakers dominated the room!). I almost wept when I sold it on, it was without doubt the best sounding set-up I'd ever heard (in my opinion!).

I then pursued several iterations of subsequent kit to progress along my digital route (Audioengine, Quad, Dragonfly, etc.), until deciding to build my own amps & speakers (as above), finally ending up with my set-up as described.

Why am I boring you with all of this (apologies!)? Because although I hate to actually admit it, and very much to my surprise, I genuinely feel that my current set-up with the ADI-2 sounds better than my Marantz kit did. I never thought I'd ever say that, but there you go.

So - do I think the ADI-2 sounds 'different' to the SU-9? Oh, YES, definitely - to me it sounds much better!!

Happy listening

JSmith

Master Contributor

mikolajek

In my case SMSL was quick to react during the purchase process. I've got my DA-9 + SU-9 (silly me should have got SH-9 instantly as well) via Amazon.de, but it got shipped from China - which was not said in the offer. I needed to pay a duty fee of EUR 150, but it was instantly returned to me by SMSL - I liked it.
Now I have some questions on the latest XMOS driver - the balance tab is missing for me. I barely use it as I control my sound parameters via my player (JRiver) mostly, but it was useful. I've found hard to reach SMSL and I've ended up messaging them at FB. Let's see how fast they react there.

BTW - used to own 8 series trio from the same line and loved it, yet the 9 series absolutely kills it (at least when it comes to my ear). I must though say that while rock-like genres sound great on this set, I can't say the same about hip-hop and alike styles. This is entirely subjective and I keep hearing hip-hop on my Sonos set and not on SMSL + speakers (MonitorAudio), so it's not an issue for me, but wanted to express this here for others.

marcom22

In my case SMSL was quick to react during the purchase process. I've got my DA-9 + SU-9 (silly me should have got SH-9 instantly as well) via Amazon.de, but it got shipped from China - which was not said in the offer. I needed to pay a duty fee of EUR 150, but it was instantly returned to me by SMSL - I liked it.
Now I have some questions on the latest XMOS driver - the balance tab is missing for me. I barely use it as I control my sound parameters via my player (JRiver) mostly, but it was useful. I've found hard to reach SMSL and I've ended up messaging them at FB. Let's see how fast they react there.

BTW - used to own 8 series trio from the same line and loved it, yet the 9 series absolutely kills it (at least when it comes to my ear). I must though say that while rock-like genres sound great on this set, I can't say the same about hip-hop and alike styles. This is entirely subjective and I keep hearing hip-hop on my Sonos set and not on SMSL + speakers (MonitorAudio), so it's not an issue for me, but wanted to express this here for others.

Can you post the firmware version of your DAC SMSL SU-9 ? Thanks

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Hi Marcom, I as well bought SU-9 few days ago, don't remember the exact day.
I am now typing from a train on the way to Rome, where from my personal pc (on which i stored my Amazon password) I will try to return the dac, hoping that the 14-days return time as of Italian law has not passed yet.
So I am pretty anxious about it as you can immagine. But my anxiety is not a fraction of the other feeling i have now reading your quoted sentence.

Send it to Shenzen and stop. What is the problem?

How can you be so ok with shipping the SU-9 to China? How much are you paying for the two-way shipment? Is SMSL paying for it?
Or if you are paying something from your pocket, do you like to spend money to get your dac fixed?

Do you think it is ok that the solution has been found almost one month ago (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sl-su-9-balanced-dac-review.16150/post-803283), fixing firmware can be done by just flashing it in the dac as Wolf did, and still SMSL customers have no other options than shipping the dac to china at their own cost and risk?
And how are they informed about that? Do you think it is ok that there is not a web page about this issue? Not an explanation, not a "sorry"?
Now let me sink myself into my anxiety again
:facepalm:

Edit: just arrived at home and luckily i still had 2 more days left for return with full refund of price and shipment
Now i will go for a german dac.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the issue with the SU-9 audibly? I have been trying to use it to play with my KEF R7s and this is the clockwise tilted FR I get with REW pink noise. Is this related? I bought 2 SU-9 units based on Amir's strong recommendation on this model...are his measurements at all repeatable in real life situation in this case?... And do my units have significant audible issues that I need fixed. My version is 1.2 SW and I think 1.0 HW. Anyone else bought from HiFiGo and have you been lucky to have those issues fixed?
20210618_194031.jpg
1624072023413626044893689224818.jpg

Top Bottom