• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Oliver92150

I contacted amazon france about my su9. I explained the problem and the answer I got is ... nothing can be done for you.
The guarantee for hidden defects, they do not know, distressing.

mario_rouge

I really can't understand why SMSL doesn't provide the firmware update tool for everyone, SMSL is degrading its reputation.

Dominique-T

For me, this is at least a good lesson learned. I bought two years ago à SMSL Sanskrit that stopped working after one year. Reimbursed by Amazon. I then bought an Topping E30 that stopped working after 4 months. Also refund by Amazon. Finally, I bought this SU9 from Audiophonics.

Showing the best SINAD is not enough. We should not forget reliability, and good after sale service.

My trust into this Chinese products is gone.

Last edited:

mario_rouge

I don't understand why @SMSL-Mandy and @SMSL_Liu do not reassure their community by offering somehow the possibility to update the firmware of the dac. I think it would be very welcome by all of us.

Last edited:

KiyPhi

Quick update. I have received a fixed unit after raising some ruckus with Amazon. This one came from China and the issue is either gone or at least below the noise floor of my PC to check. There is no change you can verify aside from measuring to see if yours is a new version. The info on thee info screen is the same even after the fix is applied. The only difference is the performance. I strongly advise, if you bought one of these, to raise it up with the person you bought it from until they get SMSL to take action because SMSL isn't willing to do anything for use individuals. This is certainly the last time I buy SMSL. Keep in mind this will not apply to the stock that Amazon has one them, as the initial replacement from them that I got Saturday did have a measurably bad third harmonic, even on my motherboard's line in. Only ones from the most recent batch that Apos or Shenzhen sell on their websites will have the updated firmware (ask before you buy, just to make sure), not their Amazon stock or likely many other resellers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For me, this is at least a good lesson learned. I bought two years ago à SMSL Sanskrit that stopped working after one year. Reimbursed by Amazon. I then bought an Topping E30 that stopped working after 4 months. Also refund by Amazon. Finally, I bought this SU9 from Audiophonics.

Showing the best SINAD is not enough. We should not forget reliability, and good after sale service.

My trust into this Chinese products is gone.
What issue did you encounter with your E30? Did it straight up not turning on?

Addy

Quick update. I have received a fixed unit after raising some ruckus with Amazon. This one came from China and the issue is either gone or at least below the noise floor of my PC to check. There is no change you can verify aside from measuring to see if yours is a new version.
What is the version after fixed please.

mario_rouge

I think we have to write a petition to be able to have the tool to update smsl products and get as many people as possible to join in.

JSmith

Master Contributor

KaasNL

Forum Donor
Hi new here,

Having not seen this thread other then the original review i orderd one of these on Amazon Prime Day. I live in the Netherlands, most likely it was send from Germany or here since it arived in one day.
I dont see anything regarding a revision on the box, if it's also not visible in the settings menu then how will people know if they have a fixed version?

Would be lovely to have an official reply on this, atm it looks like i'll have to return it.

aandres_gm

Hi new here,

Having not seen this thread other then the original review i orderd one of these on Amazon Prime Day. I live in the Netherlands, most likely it was send from Germany or here since it arived in one day.
I dont see anything regarding a revision on the box, if it's also not visible in the settings menu then how will people know if they have a fixed version?

Would be lovely to have an official reply on this, atm it looks like i'll have to return it.
According to the first official communication by SMSL on this matter, the solution may be contacting Amazon. You can find the message here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...0-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/page-42#post-824267

mario_rouge

i just contacted amazon. they don't know which batches they ship, so contacting Amazon is completely useless.

KaasNL

Forum Donor
Not suprised, if we can't even tell the diffrence holding the device itself. Looks like they handeld this whole thing rather poorly. Most likely gonna return mine and get something else or perhaps do a re-order when its totally clear that its a revised version.

Top Bottom