• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
really so silly. Moreover, they replace the whole unit if anything happens.
Since when? They did not replace my whole (Magnius) unit. Neither the first time nor the second time it failed. Well, the second time they havent even responded to my request for RMA for more than 2 weeks. Is that the Schitt way you are referring to?

Destination: Moon

Maybe the tool to update the firmware isn't consumer ready and they worry about bricking? Whatever it is, sounds like crappy service and poor planning....

I have an DA - 9 on order.... And an older SU9 in the house. Any other small decently powered class D amps I should investigate? Couldn't really find anything that was less than 500 - 600 dollars and small form factor?

DeepSpace57

Since when? They did not replace my whole (Magnius) unit. Neither the first time nor the second time it failed. Well, the second time they havent even responded to my request for RMA for more than 2 weeks. Is that the Schitt way you are referring to?

Never seen such a thing before. Forums have been filled up with opposite comments to yours. May i see your past posts regarding this issue on this or different audiophile website pls ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Shenzhen is not willing to mail me the cable.
Why not, what was the reason? All SU-9 owners who are prepared to try the update device are waiting for them to start shipping these.

Sending items into China rather than out from China can often be problematic from my experience... not always but things sometimes just never arrive at the other end, so not keen to send a $500 product without more assurance.

When Topping units had a problem they sent new ones to customers without even needing to return the old unit... which is why many of the first units ended up for sale on eBay 2nd hand (unfortunately), however customers were well looked after.

Why can't SU-9 owners be sent a new unit and then return the old unit with a received shipping label for return?

JSmith

Right, that's how you take care of customers when it's something that's your fault. Mine is on the ups truck on it's way back to amazon. I bet they are going to regret how they handled this. I would bet once word really starts to get out about this and they start to loose a lot of business because of how they handled this, then they will offer some real solutions to how to resolve this. As bad as this is for the su-9, it's a whole lot worse for the m500 owners.

Toliandar

The solution may vary depending on country due to different consumer protection laws.
Is the only way to check firmware version via connection to a pc? The version info on the unit display itself gives hardware, software and usb versions but not the firmware itself.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never seen such a thing before. Forums have been filled up with opposite comments to yours. May i see your past posts regarding this issue on this or different audiophile website pls ?
You need to get out more often then if this is new.
Search is your friend and a great technology to understand and learn

DeepSpace57

You need to get out more often then if this is new.
Search is your friend and a great technology to understand and learn

No, actually I am talking about you. If you had such a big problem, u somewhere mentioned before. Please show it to me? Please do not get me wrong; many liers and sellers present on hi-fi tech. Provide the solidness of your claim; otherwise I omit you. It is not easy to influence many here in a wrong way. Prove your claim; your products went wrong twice and schiit did not respond you!

Dingenus

Is it an idea to ask Wolf to place the firmware online with the specs of the cable so each wo want it can do the update.
Or can we make SMSL legally responsible for not delivering the advertised specifications?

richbandit

New user here, thought I'd jump in and share my experience of the SU-9! After prevaricating for some time, having seen glowing reviews and reports I went ahead and finally ordered my SU-9 around the middle of May - as I'm sure many other people will have done since it hit the market. Although I'm in UK, I ordered mine from Audiophonics in France; I've used them before several times and their overall service and support is excellent. But although it was cheaper buying from Audiophonics I forgot about recent 'Brexit' changes around customs, duties and so forth and ended up having to pay £70-odd VAT & expenses to get it released! Doh!

Whilst eagerly awaiting delivery, I stumbled across this thread regards this (relatively) newly identified problem - bummer! Should I have gone for a different DAC I wondered?!

Anyway, received the SU-9 around a week or so ago and I must say it sounds much 'fuller' than my previous DAC (Khadas Tone Board), especially the bass (more pronounced but not 'boomy' at all) and overall a very expansive sound; all in all I'm suitably impressed. I don't notice any obvious deterioration in sound quality - but as has been previously mentioned on this thread the 'problem' may or may not be audible to the average user, and without a 'good' unit to compare with or expensive test equipment I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I must stress I don't profess to be any sort of out-and-out 'audiophile'; I simply like listening to good sounding music! My version is the same as identified earlier in this thread by the way.

So, following on from the more recent posts here I contacted Audiophonics to make them aware of the 'issue'; needless to say they were not aware of any reported problem with the SU-9. In less than one day (did I mention their support is excellent?!) they have confirmed they've been in touch with the manufacturer (Shenzhenaudio?) and their last response to me is (quote): "I have contacted manufacturer and i wait to know how to process for updating unit of our customers. I inform you when they give me the solution."

So with a bit of luck it looks like I may be able to get mine sorted out (maybe!); how or when still not sure just yet. I share this experience to offer some hope to all you fellow SU-9 users out there that you might manage to get a result as well sooner rather than later, especially if distributers/agents are going to be able to assist and step up to the plate as well.

As has been mentioned several times throughout this thread; we all accept that sometimes these sort of 'problems' happen, that's just life; it's how the situation is dealt with and resolved is what really matters.

All else aside, to my aging ears the SU-9 on my set-up sounds simply wonderful - at the end of the day that's all that really matters I guess!

Sorry about the long post - happy listening to all!

aandres_gm

It's already been said, but the crux of the issue isn't the fact these artifacts may be audible or not (judging by the golden eared reviewers on YouTube, they're clearly not audible). The issue is SMSL based their marketing on performance claims the device can't achieve in normal use. And what's even worse, so far, they haven't communicated with their customers in any way, even though they've been active in the forum since the original thread popped up.

Communication is extremely important. SMSL doesn't seem to have gotten the memo tho.

JSmith

Master Contributor
All else aside, to my aging ears the SU-9 on my set-up sounds simply wonderful - at the end of the day that's all that really matters I guess!
A transparent DAC doesn't have a "sound" unless you mean chips with different filter options... so no that's not all that matters at all. What matters is a product should perform as advertised and this doesn't meet the specifications, so regardless of intent, this is false advertising.

JSmith

New user here, thought I'd jump in and share my experience of the SU-9! After prevaricating for some time, having seen glowing reviews and reports I went ahead and finally ordered my SU-9 around the middle of May - as I'm sure many other people will have done since it hit the market. Although I'm in UK, I ordered mine from Audiophonics in France; I've used them before several times and their overall service and support is excellent. But although it was cheaper buying from Audiophonics I forgot about recent 'Brexit' changes around customs, duties and so forth and ended up having to pay £70-odd VAT & expenses to get it released! Doh!

Whilst eagerly awaiting delivery, I stumbled across this thread regards this (relatively) newly identified problem - bummer! Should I have gone for a different DAC I wondered?!

Anyway, received the SU-9 around a week or so ago and I must say it sounds much 'fuller' than my previous DAC (Khadas Tone Board), especially the bass (more pronounced but not 'boomy' at all) and overall a very expansive sound; all in all I'm suitably impressed. I don't notice any obvious deterioration in sound quality - but as has been previously mentioned on this thread the 'problem' may or may not be audible to the average user, and without a 'good' unit to compare with or expensive test equipment I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I must stress I don't profess to be any sort of out-and-out 'audiophile'; I simply like listening to good sounding music! My version is the same as identified earlier in this thread by the way.

So, following on from the more recent posts here I contacted Audiophonics to make them aware of the 'issue'; needless to say they were not aware of any reported problem with the SU-9. In less than one day (did I mention their support is excellent?!) they have confirmed they've been in touch with the manufacturer (Shenzhenaudio?) and their last response to me is (quote): "I have contacted manufacturer and i wait to know how to process for updating unit of our customers. I inform you when they give me the solution."

So with a bit of luck it looks like I may be able to get mine sorted out (maybe!); how or when still not sure just yet. I share this experience to offer some hope to all you fellow SU-9 users out there that you might manage to get a result as well sooner rather than later, especially if distributers/agents are going to be able to assist and step up to the plate as well.

As has been mentioned several times throughout this thread; we all accept that sometimes these sort of 'problems' happen, that's just life; it's how the situation is dealt with and resolved is what really matters.

Sorry about the long post - happy listening to all!

That's why subjective reviews are kind of frowned upon on here. I also have the khadas tone board. Out of the box, I was fine with the sound of the su-9. So I thought, why not compare it directly to my khadas(I use this board for testing purposes) to see if I can indeed hear the difference between 109 sinad and 120, since 109 theoretically could be audible. To my ears, the bass was elevated with the su-9, but in a bad way. The bass sounded bloated and a bit loose compared to the tone board. The sound overall was also a little thick sounding as well. But even then, I didn't think it was broken, as with any dac, any difference heard or perceived is subtle at best and maybe would still sound exactly the same with the correct firmware. But to my ears with subjective listening, the tone board sounded better.

That's why this is a facts first type of forum. As they say beauty(or sound) is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe you didn't read my post all the way. If you are going to quote me, put up the full quote and not cherry pick to take my post out of context.

Top Bottom