• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

4udio

I am quite interested in this DAC. I read the whole thread, but still have a few questions:
1. Can you disable those awful top/bottom blue bars?
2. Can you dim the screen to be un-intrusive when used in a completely dark room?
3. Would this DAC it pair well with a Hypex class-D amp? I am intending only DAC-AMP-Speaker setup, no headphones.

1. No
2. You can dim it but not enough for dark room. I've put tape over screen... I've wrote to SMSL to implement auto screen off and auto stand by feature but there is no guarantee that it will be implemented.
3. I can't help you with this.

Regvic1954

Hey everyone,
first time poster long time lurker..
I’ve been watch this DAC for a little bit now and I‘m really wondering if this could be an improvement over my current DAC.
So my current setup is; MacBook Pro 2019 as source playing Tidal , Modi 3+ to Drop THX 789, and I have the following headphones HD-660S, HiFiMan Sundara. I‘m wondering if moving to SMSL SU-9 from my current Modi 3+ if this would be a improvement or the Modi 3? Would the sound quality be improved over the Modi? Any feedback would be great and thanks.
Yes and then some I would suggest. I replaced my Bifrost Multibit/Gen 5 and/or Bluesound Node 2i and the SU9 is a great improvement over both. Connected to ROON Rock and mainly playing TIDAL Masters through Beyerdynamic A2 or Yamaha A-S701. I was somewhat sceptical prior to purchasing the SU9 but am greatly impressed.

lockheed

1. No
2. You can dim it but not enough for dark room. I've put tape over screen... I've wrote to SMSL to implement auto screen off and auto stand by feature but there is no guarantee that it will be implemented.
3. I can't help you with this.
2. Is that a solid tape, or translucent to some degree?
Have you gotten any response from SMSL?
4. Is there some kind of auto-sleep and wake up feature?

4udio

2. Is that a solid tape, or translucent to some degree?
Have you gotten any response from SMSL?
4. Is there some kind of auto-sleep and wake up feature?
2. Solid tape. Just IR sensor is visible.
4. There is no such feature as I've mentined in my post.

SolidDotNet

Yes and then some I would suggest. I replaced my Bifrost Multibit/Gen 5 and/or Bluesound Node 2i and the SU9 is a great improvement over both. Connected to ROON Rock and mainly playing TIDAL Masters through Beyerdynamic A2 or Yamaha A-S701. I was somewhat sceptical prior to purchasing the SU9 but am greatly impressed.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I ordered one and it should be here the 30th, I’m pretty excited.

Hoinar

Hi. I also come with a question: in some reviews it is said that the high frequencies at this dac (SMSL SU9) are suppressed ... in other reviews that they are roll-off. Those of you who have it, tell me the truth .... How is it compared to topping dx3pro V2 or ifi nano idsd? I am interested both in the high frequencies, but also in general. Is it an upgrade?
Thank you in advance.
P.S.
I will use it with a Yamaha As1000 and elac Bs244.

Mark Dirac

Is anyone using the SU-9 with Linux please? Eg. RPi or Allo USBridge? Does its USB work perfectly with Linux? No clicks & pops?

My two existing DACs* exhibit clicks with my new USBridge by Allo, and Allo blame the Linux kernel. Allo also say this problem occurs with the D90. So I am nervous to buy a new DAC without confirmation that its USB interface works fine with Linux.

Thanks, Mark.

*Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital and Audiolab MDAC.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is anyone using the SU-9 with Linux please? Eg. RPi or Allo USBridge? Does its USB work perfectly with Linux? No clicks & pops?

My two existing DACs* exhibit clicks with my new USBridge by Allo, and Allo blame the Linux kernel. Allo also say this problem occurs with the D90. So I am nervous to buy a new DAC without confirmation that its USB interface works fine with Linux.

Thanks, Mark.

*Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital and Audiolab MDAC.
Am I right in thinking that your USBridge is running an RPi3+?

Mark Dirac

Am I right in thinking that your USBridge is running an RPi3+?
Yes, that's right. Which is running moOde. Music is sourced both from USB flash drive and from Qobuz. Allo advised me to downgrade to an 18 month-old version of moOde, with Linux kernel 4.14.92, and that works.

But Allo have made public statements, on several occasions, about Linux and "some DACs", and stated that it's always necessary to check the Linux compatibility of DACs. Which is why I ask.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes, that's right. Which is running moOde. Music is sourced both from USB flash drive and from Qobuz. Allo advised me to downgrade to an 18 month-old version of moOde, with Linux kernel 4.14.92, and that works.

But Allo have made public statements, on several occasions, about Linux and "some DACs", and stated that it's always necessary to check the Linux compatibility of DACs. Which is why I ask.
I'm afraid that I can't answer the question regarding DACs. There's nothing wrong with using an older version of Moode. I tried out the latest version (7.01) and there were some issues with the UPnP renderer software that throws up a problem when using Bubble UPnP, so I went back to version 6.7.1.

I do find it rather annoying though that Allo are selling products that use RPi3+ when there is the known issue that @somebodyelse refers to. The RPi4 sorted these things out. How long have you had the USBridge? I'd be tempted to return it, if possible, and replace it with a basic RPi4 plus a case and power supply, a very cheap and workable package.

wannarock2

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There's an element of truth to that in as much as some DACs don't fully follow the UAC2 spec, or have quirks that mean some aspect may not work as it would on an OS with a manufacturer-supplied driver. This tends to be more of an issue with studio-style interfaces with lots of controls than with current HiFi DACs though. From Allo's perspective I can see why they mention it - they don't want their hardware getting the blame for something outside their control.

Mark Dirac

Thanks guys for your suggestions and questions. I am feeling awkward that I have disrupted this topic (about SMSL SU-9) and so I will respond in a new thread "DAC compatibility with Linux", with more details (tomorrow). (Quoting your posts will be clumsy I guess.)

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thanks guys for your suggestions and questions. I am feeling awkward that I have disrupted this topic (about SMSL SU-9) and so I will respond in a new thread "DAC compatibility with Linux", with more details (tomorrow). (Quoting your posts will be clumsy I guess.)
To be fair you do have a legitimate SU-9 question, it's just wider than that. This thread was a good place to start but good idea to start a new thread. :)

Dingenus

Hi. I also come with a question: in some reviews it is said that the high frequencies at this dac (SMSL SU9) are suppressed ... in other reviews that they are roll-off. Those of you who have it, tell me the truth .... How is it compared to topping dx3pro V2 or ifi nano idsd? I am interested both in the high frequencies, but also in general. Is it an upgrade?
Thank you in advance.
P.S.
I will use it with a Yamaha As1000 and elac Bs244.

Hi, I have the smsl and my son the topping dx3pro. The difference is very small. Most people will not hear the difference. And yes, I do, but barely, as a professional musician with trained ears. There is no roll-off or suppressing. It is more the lack of distortion that is troubling these people I think.

Top Bottom