• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

xhitespirit

Thanks very much. Have you got a link to a high resolution image for the last photo? I cannot make out the opamps used?

Hi All,

I was wondering the same as Themystical, looking for a better picture of the output stage. Almost no detailled picture of this SU9 board on the net...

Anyway, I decided to buy one of this unit. Received few days ago, burned it about 20hours, then compared it directly to SMSL M200 and Topping D50s, I can yes, it sounds a bit better, probably less neutral, but more engaging. Indeed happy with the sound.

Finally I decided to open it, to have a proper look by myself at the inside. What a surprise ! Where are the announced 3 OPA1612 ? Even no OPA at all at the output stage, only transistors (which may cause this little warmer sound). Have a look by yourself at the attached pics. Am I wrong ?

20201214_094454.jpg20201214_095038.jpg

In the absolute, I have no matter with that as long as it sounds well. But then, I have a problem with SMSL cheating with its specs (and corresponding price, as OPA1612 are quite 'expensive' chips) .

- have the specs changed since first release of this product ? If yes, specs and smsl website shoud have been updated !
- which product / what specs had really been tested here ?
- can I trust SMSL eyes closed anymore ?

Maybe an SMSL guy should take position on this ?

Nice day all !

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:
Reactions: trl

xhitespirit

Thank you for your answers ! Yes, my first post here :)

A closer look at the output stage
20201213_180925.jpg

Does it look like an OPA551 ? I'm really not sure at all, but I can be wrong...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

misterdog

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hat kind of engineer would that be, to get the form factor wrong and purchase a TI OPA without any logo?
Engineers, technologists, technicians or whoever order the part and the part ID is laser burned into the top of the component by Ti. Nobody gets to custom order with different marking on the top. It is what it is.

What does a drawing of the package prove?

Still not convinced this is OPA551, and for sure not OPA1612...
It is a Ti OPA551.

misterdog

What kind of engineer would that be, to get the form factor wrong and purchase a TI OPA without any logo?

Shame you cannot just zoom in on your own photo and read TI 551 on your post 441.
People might start to think you are a WUM after just 4 posts.

Toku

Major Contributor
I checked the PC board, but OPA1612 is not used anywhere.
SMSL has done a trick again.

xhitespirit

I'm sorry guys, maybe I must buy new glasses ?!
I did have a good look at my own photo. I can well see 551, and so what ? This is not usual TI typo.
I also did have a good look at TI OPA551 specs, as written above. And so far, packaging specs does not correspond to what I see on my photo. Rectangle vs square, different edges/angles.
So, as said maybe I'm wrong, but allow me not to be convinced ! And I only trust what I see (reason I opened this box). And please be fair with your comments. If you guys have a picture of a real (not fake) OPA551 at hand that is exactly what I see on my photo, please share.

My post is not about who is right or wrong, but is here to alert that what we have in our SU9 Dacs, is not known, and is probably not what SMSL decribes in their specs. THIS is the important point.

Nice day all :)

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Matrix X sabre pro has been accused for the same shit before. Clearly this is not remotely the performance achievable with opa551.

xhitespirit

JohnYang, thank you for your input !
Indeed, had a look at TI OPA1612 specs, I can see this:

1607954009039.png

And
1607953944749.png

Very hepfull !

Last edited:

xhitespirit

Things seems now clear :) I had a doubt while opening the SU9 box, thank you for eliminating it ! It appears these are 3 OPA1612 indeed. I learned something today.
I now say I can rely on SMSL specs.

And, as I state in my first post, I'm pretty happy with the sound of this DAC. SU9 sounds slightly better to my ears in direct comparison with the cheaper M200 and D50s. Sadly no more expensive DAC at hand (M400, D90, etc) to compare to. I'm wondering what benefits we can still get (dynamics, speed, sound staging...) ?
Have fun listening to your SU9 DAC !

Top Bottom