• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

Moosi

Funfact: On the box of the SMSL AS300 it says "High resolution USB DAC". No word about it being an amplifier in the first place. I find that to be quite funny since the DAC of the AS300 is by far the cheapest/most incapable piece of hardware on it and is literally screaming to be replaced by another device. That's like a wolf advertising himself as a chicken.

Toku

Major Contributor
Funfact: On the box of the SMSL AS300 it says "High resolution USB DAC". No word about it being an amplifier in the first place. I find that to be quite funny since the DAC of the AS300 is by far the cheapest/most incapable piece of hardware on it and is literally screaming to be replaced by another device. That's like a wolf advertising himself as a chicken.
There are other strange things.
SMSL displays the Hi-Res AUDIO logo, but the product is not listed in the Hi-Res Association registration list. Other manufacturers such as Topping are listed in the registration list including new products, but the SMSL Group has no products listed after December 2017. It's strange.

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en/use-situation-en

PeterMac

Short answer... yes. Can be quite frustrating if someone else uses it for the first time... Once you get used to its quirks it's fine, but has to be in line of sight of the amp.
I bought Loxjie A30, and I use Logitech Harmony with it, and IR receiver is great, I can point my remote almost anywhere for examplr in ceiling and it works. So only bad is probably only remote inclued that have to be point directly to unit not built in IR receiver which is great.

Feesh

I bought Loxjie A30, and I use Logitech Harmony with it, and IR receiver is great, I can point my remote almost anywhere for examplr in ceiling and it works. So only bad is probably only remote inclued that have to be point directly to unit not built in IR receiver which is great.

I just tried switching to my 2nd remote I got with my SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII, it's much better. I guess the quality control is very poor - no longer need to be directly in line of sight...

dunkink

There are other strange things.
SMSL displays the Hi-Res AUDIO logo, but the product is not listed in the Hi-Res Association registration list. Other manufacturers such as Topping are listed in the registration list including new products, but the SMSL Group has no products listed after December 2017. It's strange.

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en/use-situation-en

One possibility is that they did not renew their certification after 2017. I only see the certification dated back in 2017 on their official website:

SMSL Audio Official -English (smsl-audio.com)

Toku

Major Contributor
One possibility is that they did not renew their certification after 2017. I only see the certification dated back in 2017 on their official website:

SMSL Audio Official -English (smsl-audio.com)
Yes, I think that's right. SMSL has not submitted any applications for subsequent products. Therefore, I think that a fake Hi-Res display and a sticker are attached. On the other hand, Toppinng has registered everything including the latest products.

PeterMac

Still nothing about not playing 88.2kHz, 176,4kHz, 352,8kHz ? hardware limitation or driver ?

Toku

Major Contributor
Still nothing about not playing 88.2kHz, 176,4kHz, 352,8kHz ? hardware limitation or driver ?
The SA300 does not support PCM 88.2kHz, 176,4kHz, 352,8kHz. I have previously reported this. This is a limitation from the hardware you are using.
The spec table says that it supports from PCM 44.1kHz to 384kHz, but in reality it is like this. Therefore, it can be said that it is a dubious expression.
The sound quality of the SA300's USB input is quite poor and I don't recommend using it.

PeterMac

Toku - thank you, exactly same happen with my Loxjie A30, same limitation via USB. But I heard via Optical/Coaxial it support that samples 88,2, 176 etc. How do you thnik, which connection will be better Optical or analog RCA ? (I have good soundcard Xonar STX II)
If connection will be analog, does it still will work EQ ?

Toku

Major Contributor
Toku - thank you, exactly same happen with my Loxjie A30, same limitation via USB. But I heard via Optical/Coaxial it support that samples 88,2, 176 etc. How do you thnik, which connection will be better Optical or analog RCA ? (I have good soundcard Xonar STX II)
If connection will be analog, does it still will work EQ ?
The circuit of the amplifier part of SA300 and A30 is the same. The difference is the type of input signal.
The SA300's digital input is USB only, but the A30 also adds OPT/COAX.
All digital inputs are converted to analog and input to the JRC NJM1194 electronic volume chip. This NJM1194 is also in charge of the EQ function. So EQ works for both digital and analog inputs.

We have not confirmed that the A30's OPT/COAX input supports PCM 88.2kHz, 176,4kHz. I have 3 SA300s but not an A30. The chip used in the digital input section differs between the SA300 and A30. Therefore, PCM 88.2kHz, 176,4kHz, 352,8kHz may work on the A30. Also, the USB input, which does not have good sound quality on the SA300, may have high sound quality on the A30. These can only be confirmed with actual equipment.

linuxfan

PeterMac

You think Texas Instruments PC1792 DAC in Xonar STX II is a better than this ESS ES9023 ?

linuxfan

eXistenZ78

Hi
After almost one year of use, I'm really satisfied with my SA300, but it stopped responding to the remote.

I know the remote is not broken, because I also have an M300, so I have two remotes, both of them work with the M300, but the SA300 doesn't react, no matter what button I press (I switch from C to A of course). So I'm almost sure the problem in the IR receiver.

Someone else faced the same issue? Any suggestion?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi
After almost one year of use, I'm really satisfied with my SA300, but it stopped responding to the remote.

I know the remote is not broken, because I also have an M300, so I have two remotes, both of them work with the M300, but the SA300 doesn't react, no matter what button I press (I switch from C to A of course). So I'm almost sure the problem in the IR receiver.

Change battery

fluxcapacitor

Hi

Haven't seen someone using sa300 more than a year :)) in a few months i sold mine and bought new ones.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Toku

Major Contributor
Have you tried resetting the SA300 to factory defaults?

I have been using the SA300 for a year and a half. There was no trouble during that time. But recently I bought AO200, so I sold SA300.

Last edited:

SaltyCDogg

Hi

The remote on mine stopped working really quickly. I just tried some new batteries in it and it worked. Tested the old batteries and they've plenty of power. Maybe it was taking the batteries out and putting them back in. :confused:

Top Bottom