• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC Only “Thermal Issue” not “Golden Sample”

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Generally I don't think this would be an issue. If one manufacturer does this, the whole forum will be very cautious about this manufacturer. The reputation would suffer.

Exactly. that's why i really look forward the third measurement of M500.

Thanks @WolfX-700 for bringing this up and @amirm for all the work. :D

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion harmonics are also much worse. Perhaps they changed some critical component that the production model performs worse.

Much worse is relative. This is still an exceptionally good performance. SINAD of 110dB is nothing to sneeze at and the IMD hump is low in level. It does indicate some difference between the tests, but I wouldn’t vilify the manufacturer just yet on the basis of this result. Test setup, differences in probes and their length can account for some of the differences between measurements.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Much worse is relative. This is still an exceptionally good performance. SINAD of 110dB is nothing to sneeze at and the IMD hump is low in level. It does indicate some difference between the tests, but I wouldn’t vilify the manufacturer just yet on the basis of this result. Test setup, differences in probes and their length can account for some of the differences between measurements.

I think my test setup-at least the dashboard-won't make a difference of up to 6db or more.

And later I adjusted the settings carefully (44.1K) based on Amir's measurements, and the results showed more differences!

If this difference is only 1 to 2db, I don't think there is any problem. But the current difference is too obvious ...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think my test setup-at least the dashboard-won't make a difference of up to 6db or more.

And later I adjusted the settings carefully (44.1K) based on Amir's measurements, and the results showed more differences!

If this difference is only 1 to 2db, I don't think there is any problem. But the current difference is too obvious ...

Right, and it will be interesting to figure out what caused this, but even the performance you measured is still in the exceptionally good category. Maybe some manufacturing differences caused it, or maybe it was a golden sample, regardless, this device is really well engineered.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Basically from dx7pro level of performance to su8. Objective difference is really big.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Make another IMD measurement with 44.1K:

SMPTE.jpg

Hemi-Demon

Yes, it may be a separate incident. I have recorded the serial number of this M500 and I will try to find another M500 for testing.

It would be a shame if SMSL did send a golden sample.

I know that you did the testing with ASIO4ALL, but can you install the drivers to check the device HW version? I wonder if it is v1.2, amd whether that may makes a difference.

Also in your testing, do you find that using the manufacturer supplied drivers impacts testing results?

half_dog

Wolfx, could you inform us its SW and HW versions? And anyone knows about Amir sample versions?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Wolfx, could you inform us its SW and HW versions? And anyone knows about Amir sample versions?

In fact, I didn't find any HW version mark ... Can you give me some hints?

I just tested it with ASIO using the XMOS 4.67.0 driver (downloaded from the SMSL website) ...

The result :

ASIO.png

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't this just work the UAC 2.0 ?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, these USB audio devices should work directly with Windows 10 drivers. USB Audio Compliance 2.0 has been implemented for a while now.

Hemi-Demon

The HW version is located in either the info box or the about box in the xmos control panel.

half_dog

In fact, I didn't find any HW version mark ... Can you give me some hints?

I just tested it with ASIO using the XMOS 4.67.0 driver (downloaded from the SMSL website) ...

The result :

View attachment 41671

SW and HW version information are on "system" option in DAC display.

I was thinking... How long it has been running? Maybe it needs warm up...?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
SW and HW version information are on "system" option in DAC display.

I was thinking... How long it has been running? Maybe it needs warm up...?

Thanks for your hints:

HW1.5 SW1.2

Warming up is a good idea ... In fact, I have warmed up for about 2 hours before measuring ...

Then ... Now it's about 6 hours of continuous operation ...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

6H.jpg

murraycamp

Forum Donor

Agreed. Also, a "golden sample" scenario connotes an intent to deceive in some respect. It could just be a QC issue. End result is the same, but the latter is much less pernicious.

Top Bottom