• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC Only “Thermal Issue” not “Golden Sample”

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I could order a unit from Amazon and drop ship to Amir.
Thank you very much. That is very kind. But this one is on me to resolve. So I just purchased one with Prime shipping so we know stock is here in US (so can't be changed by the company) and will get to me soon.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. That is very kind. But this one is on me to resolve. So I just purchased one with Prime shipping so we know stock is here in US (so can't be changed by the company) and will get to me soon.

Thank you for your reply and decision to remeasure. I think the credibility of the manufacturer is important.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There's the issue of manufacturing tolerances. How much out of spec is a unit allowed to get before it's considered ready for sale?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There's the issue of manufacturing tolerances. How much out of spec is a unit allowed to get before it's considered ready for sale?
At the minute levels of distortion and noise we are measuring, there is going to be some variations. Here is the SMSL's own measurements:

20190920133951715171.jpg

While their SINAD is similar to mine, the spectrum of FFT harmonics is different.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I played 2 hours of music first ...
I am saying test it COLD. Please turn it off and put it in the fridge to cool off and then re-test. My testing is after a few minutes of warm up, not 2 hours. If this is a thermal issue, we need to figure this out before running down the path of buying other units, worrying about golden samples, etc.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am saying test it COLD. Please turn it off and put it in the fridge to cool off and then re-test. My testing is after a few minutes of warm up, not 2 hours. If this is a thermal issue, we need to figure this out before running down the path of buying other units, worrying about golden samples, etc.

OK I immediately turned off this unit. I will take the measurement after half an hour.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Miska is a fan of TIM testing. What is the benefit of a multi-tone vs single tone?

Tks

Major Contributor

I hope that fridge request was made in jest..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK I immediately turned off this unit. I will take the measurement after half an hour.
Thanks. Meanwhile I am testing mine starting from cold and measuring THD+N once a second to see if I can replicate your scenario.

Tks

Major Contributor
It was not. I wanted to make sure the unit starts cold since he has had it running for a while.

I get why you would want to make sure its cold, but I think letting it sit for something like 15 minutes to an hour should suffice. We don't want condensation or thermal shock being an issue after it's taken out from the fridge of all places. It'd be interesting to see what effect temperature has on devices (but that would require testing it while it's in the fridge). You can go to extremes making demonstrations of these sorts of ordeals. But the normal testing from room-temp I think is fine enough for the sake of sanity (unless you want to explore this on all devices going forward, and see what sorts of designs are insulated from these thermal fluctuations over time).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I get why you would want to make sure its cold, but I think letting it sit for something like 15 minutes to an hour should suffice. We don't want condensation or thermal shock being an issue after it's taken out from the fridge of all places. It'd be interesting to see what effect temperature has on devices (but that would require testing it while it's in the fridge). You can go to extremes making demonstrations of these sorts of ordeals. But the normal testing from room-temp I think is fine enough for the sake of sanity (unless you want to explore this on all devices going forward, and see what sorts of designs are insulated from these thermal fluctuations over time).
Condensation on a closed device like this is not an issue especially if the unit is immediately turned on once you pull it out of the fridge. I have done such tests in both fridge and freezer.

Anyway, the other important reason I asked him to cool his off in the fridge is that my sample was in our attic which is about 45 degrees F. Wanted him to start with the same baseline as opposed to 70 degree or whatever his room temp is.

Top Bottom