• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DL200 the best ever value DAC/AMP?

adelias

I haven't hooked it up to my Linux system yet, so far only Windows 10. I have heard no clicks at the start, end or between tracks of different
bitrates. I've listened to various files ranging from 44.1kHz up to DSD512 using foobar2000 with ASIO+DSD.

FreakyKiwi

I haven't hooked it up to my Linux system yet, so far only Windows 10. I have heard no clicks at the start, end or between tracks of different
bitrates. I've listened to various files ranging from 44.1kHz up to DSD512 using foobar2000 with ASIO+DSD.
Hmm, interesting. Do you hear the clicks when changing inputs on the DAC? These are the same clicks I hear when starting a stream, they are very quiet so no big deal.
LMS is the common factor in my testing on my Pi, Windows PC and Chromecast but I can't understand why that would cause this DAC to click.

Nutul

Looks like (at least) someone playing local files has no issue at all... on Windows, and without the driver "fix"... could it be it's more an issue with LMS / Squeezebox (for an obscure, unknown to me reason)...?

FreakyKiwi

Looks like (at least) someone playing local files has no issue at all... on Windows, and without the driver "fix"... could it be it's more an issue with LMS / Squeezebox (for an obscure, unknown to me reason)...?
That doesn't explain why they don't hear clicks when just changing inputs, which I do.
I don't think Squeezelite is a factor, as long as it isn't set to close the stream after 1 second which is the default on many multi source streamers.
It could be a difference in usage, HP vs LO, the efficiency of the headphones being used, or unit variance/quality issues.

The clicks are minor so I'm not too worried about it.

It's a strange one that's for sure.
It would be nice for SMSL to comment. Are they here?

Nutul

It's a strange one that's for sure.
It would be nice for SMSL to comment. Are they here?
Yes, it is starting to look weird, as an issue. I am extremely happy my Z8 does not suffer from any issue of this kind, as it would be impossible to accept for me.
It would be indeed nice if SMSL could comment. Even better fix this...

vrobec

Reading the opinions I'm very close to order this dac. Considering hifi-express for tax/duty free shipping from EU stock. Are there any webshop with similar prices and conditions? What do you think about buying from hifigo, shenzhenaudio? Have they EU warehouses?

Reading the opinions I'm very close to order this dac. Considering hifi-express for tax/duty free shipping from EU stock. Are there any webshop with similar prices and conditions? What do you think about buying from hifigo, shenzhenaudio? Have they EU warehouses?

I've ordered stuff from www.audiophonics.fr

VAT is included in prices and they ship outside EU aswell, I think. Fast delivery, warehouse in France, ok return policy and of course the benefit of the company following EU customer laws.

th2j

I have read many times that hifi-express doesn't have EU stock and ships from China,
However i didn't have to pay extra taxes when i got my DL200 from hifi-express (from China to France)
But be aware that you certainly will not have a real warranty with that seller. I sent them a few emails and they didn't respond.

Reactions: MCH

th2j

I keep the dac always power on. Sometime it doesn't respond (like it is on standby), i have to power off and on with the remote.
Does yours make the same thing ?

Last edited:

wavetrade

I keep the dac always power on. Sometime it doesn't respond (like it is on standby), i have to power off and on with the remote.
I have been leaving mine on as well without any issues. Not getting any clicks either, and I switch outputs often. Toslink from tv and USB from a micro pc running windows 11. Connected to PA5 II using TRS cables. Sound is fantastic.

I have been leaving mine on as well without any issues. Not getting any clicks either, and I switch outputs often. Toslink from tv and USB from a micro pc running windows 11. Connected to PA5 II using TRS cables. Sound is fantastic.
Have you installed the driver that's avaivable on SMSL website?

wavetrade

Have you installed the driver that's avaivable on SMSL website?
I had previously installed a SMSL driver for my D-6. It seems to be the same driver as I did not need to install anything else for the DL200. I get a full selection of bitrate/sample rates up to 768hz.

I had previously installed a SMSL driver for my D-6. It seems to be the same driver as I did not need to install anything else for the DL200. I get a full selection of bitrate/sample rates up to 768hz.

Yeah I think it's the same one for both of the DACs.

My DL200 arrived today and it works fine - no extra pops or clicks. The only clicks I can hear are just normal clicks from relays when changing between hp-amp output and line-level output and between high and low gain.

Btw I find it quite odd that SMSL hasn't included automatic standby or signal sensing auto-on to DL200. Didn't realize that before I started to wonder why the DAC stays on even though my computer's turned off. Sort of took it as self-evident that there is a signal sensing power on and off in a +200€ product. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sotirone

I have been looking for something to replace my broken Micca Origen G2 with for my PC.

Something that has optical in, outputs to powered speakers, output for my BD DT770 Pro 600Ohm and can switch between the outputs. Also, a knob for volume control for both headphones and speakers since I hate having to lower volume through the PC.

Is this an ideal replacement?

I have been looking for something to replace my broken Micca Origen G2 with for my PC.

Something that has optical in, outputs to powered speakers, output for my BD DT770 Pro 600Ohm and can switch between the outputs. Also, a knob for volume control for both headphones and speakers since I hate having to lower volume through the PC.

Is this an ideal replacement?

I would say DL200 is a very competent product in its price category. I've been using it for a few days now and I'm very pleased.

It has all the features you mentioned but I cannot say anything about the headphone amp since I've only used it as a dac so far. Check out cheapaudioman from youtube, I think he commented DL200's hp amp.

th2j

nobody has the same problem ?
this is strange, i have no messages or logs when it happens

chadk

Can one of you that owns the SMSL DL200 tell me if the volume can be controlled from a PC? That is, does Windows (or Linux) volume control work with this DAC? I prefer using software to control the volume rather than a knob or remote control. Some shortcuts on a keyboard are much faster to reach than a knob.

wavetrade

Can one of you that owns the SMSL DL200 tell me if the volume can be controlled from a PC? That is, does Windows (or Linux) volume control work with this DAC? I prefer using software to control the volume rather than a knob or remote control. Some shortcuts on a keyboard are much faster to reach than a knob.
Yes, I can control mine with the volume control within Windows 11 and with my Mac Mini. However, if you use an application that takes control of the DAC, such as exclusive mode in Tidal, you can no longer control the volume from the computer. Nor will you get any other computer sounds while the exclusive app is open and in control - it is bypassing the computers sound mixer.

th2j

no there is no hardware mixer (at least with linux),
another thing that is really strange as my previous dac (SMSL Sanskrit) was able to do that

but of course software volume works as always (it does not depend on the dac)

Top Bottom