• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DL200 the best ever value DAC/AMP?

dukefx

Also interested in the answer, but in my case it is shipping from EU countries (e.g. France) which is of interest.

They have good prices, but these should change depending on warehouse (VAT, import duties, etc.) yet they do not, hence the doubts.
I've ordered mine from Amazon.de already for 212 € (still cheaper and faster than Aliexpress) and it'll arrive this weekend but after reading this I checked how much the price would be at the end (taxes, shipping etc.) shipped from France and it remained at 190 $. Now I almost regret being hasty. On the bright side in case of issues Amazon is much easier to deal with, especially when I need to send it back.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Ok, but do I need to remove the headphones (physically) or is there a way to switch outputs with the remote ?
No need to remove them, you can change that with the remote. I leave my headphones plugged in..

Fresno

I've ordered a few times, chosen EU and they have always been sent from China but it has never added any additional shipping, toll or tax costs.
Ordered via France and according to the tracking on the way.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Apparently SMSL has a new product called the DL200 that is selling on AliExpress for 190 USD shipped. I thought that the C200 was ridiculous value but this seems... even better, its got apparently twice the HPA power, newer chip, bigger display, and basically all the technical specs you you would want. I am on the market for a DAC/AMP. Should I get it from AliExpress? Is that reputable in any way? Also I dont think anyone else is selling this product beside AliExpress. Also, if I do end up getting it, is it worth sending to Amir for review?
WiiM pro + has airplay , TIDAL connect and can play music from a NAS . It also has digital spdif output with true 24 bit volume regulation. It has a good dac. If the dl200 had more streaming options it would be interesting. Why support bluetooth and at the same time use a highenddac with opa1612 ?

jaatre

WiiM pro + has airplay , TIDAL connect and can play music from a NAS . It also has digital spdif output with true 24 bit volume regulation. It has a good dac. If the dl200 had more streaming options it would be interesting. Why support bluetooth and at the same time use a highenddac with opa1612 ?
Bluetooth is more of a convenience 'feature' that can be put on the product page and for those short but immediate casual listening sessions.

I have the wiim pro and can vouch for it's analog out to be completely usable.

However, we're comparing apples to oranges as one is mainly a streamer with a good DAC while the other is a better DAC with a built-in headphone amp.

Edit: To clarify, the DAC part of the DL200 measures better than that of the wiim pro plus.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Bluetooth is more of a convenience 'feature' that can be put on the product page and for those short but immediate casual listening sessions.

I have the wiim pro and can vouch for it's analog out to be completely usable.

However, we're comparing apples to oranges as one is mainly a streamer with a good DAC while the other is a better DAC with a built-in headphone amp.

Edit: To clarify, the DAC part of the DL200 measures better than that of the wiim pro plus.
Sure but not via bluetooth. With DL200 you must use a computer as source or a separate streamer with spdif out to get a technical advantage.

marekm

DL200 needs a source, WiiM needs a headphone amp :)

Yes, this is comparing apples to oranges.

Needless to say, together they could be a nice set-up :)

Philou

I have the pro version of the es9039 with the same version of the Xmos XU316 in a SMSL DO300 and from the first minutes I found that the rendering is superb, even though I'm used to the ESS 9038m2. But I'm dying to order the DL200. The only thing that makes me hesitate is its size, which I find too big.

Fresno

SMSL DL200 received in the Netherlands after 7 days. Connected to my WIIM Pro and feels slightly better than my SMSL SU-1. Much more solid and with remote control. This moves to the living room instead of the SU-1.

Shawners

You guy's are making me impatient to get one. I bought a DX3 Pro+, but it came with a broken display. I got to play around with it and really liked it, but I did notice it was a little spicy on the treble.

I'm hoping there will be a Labor Day sale so I can snag one. I was a little late to the party for the HiFi Express sale, and I'm also a little nervous about ordering from them. I didn't have a good experience with Aoshida and the DX3 Pro+, luckily I ordered it through Amazon and not their website. I know the DL200 is posted on Amazon now, but it still ships from China. I'm hoping one of the USA Amazon sellers has it in stock soon.

I was looking through the link in this post about the new DAC chip. I'm excited because its supposed to sound better than the previous Sabre DAC's. Plus the DL200 has more output power for the amp, and 3rd gen xmos chip. All around it sounds like a better option than the DX3 Pro+.

Last edited:

jaatre

SMSL DL200 received in the Netherlands after 7 days. Connected to my WIIM Pro and feels slightly better than my SMSL SU-1. Much more solid and with remote control. This moves to the living room instead of the SU-1.
Congrats! Now time to make use of it the most..
Better than SU-1 in what way?

dukefx

I switched from an ODAC and a modded O2 (with Sparkos discrete circuit and 2 x OPA1688). I'm only a few hours in so it still needs some breaking in, but here are my initial thoughts:

At first it sounded exactly like my previous setup, but as it keeps breaking in I feel like the separation of instruments is getting better. As for the filters the youtuber was talking about and how balanced FL6 is... I can't hear any difference no matter which I choose. I'm 37 but I consider my hearing to be excellent for my age.

So far I'm happy with it and consider it to be a slight improvement.

Sucama

Sorry, I want to know if anyone here has tried the DL200 with rapberry Pi and Moode Audio or Volumio. To confirm compatibility with drivers . If there is stuttering sound or clicks in usb, both in DSD and PCM. Thank you!

hoverdonkey

Sorry, I want to know if anyone here has tried the DL200 with rapberry Pi and Moode Audio or Volumio. To confirm compatibility with drivers . If there is stuttering sound or clicks in usb, both in DSD and PCM. Thank you!

I'm using it with Pi 4 but with piCorePlayer. PCM only so far this afternoon, didn't hear any clicks.

hoverdonkey

Thank You !

I used to get clicks with my previous DAC (Topping d10s) with a Pi 3. Apparently something to do with the USB bus being shared with the ethernet. Moving to the Pi 4 solved this (I believe it has separate USB & ethernet).

I also use a PiZero 2 W with a d10b on my headphone system and have no clicks. The Pi Zero connects by Wifi, sidestepping the USB issue I suppose.

Veri

Master Contributor
As for the filters the youtuber was talking about and how balanced FL6 is... I can't hear any difference no matter which I choose. I'm 37 but I consider my hearing to be excellent for my age.
Yeah that's DAC filters for you.. Manufacturer might as well pick the best default and lock the options, IMO o_Oo_O but audiophiles gonna audiophile

hoverdonkey

Yeah that's DAC filters for you.. Manufacturer might as well pick the best default and lock the options, IMO o_Oo_O but audiophiles gonna audiophile

Is there a (theoretical) best default for the DL200?

Top Bottom