• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400EX, all black, after Installation of new Firmware...(?

MJDelmar

Hello,

i have done an Update today with the newest Firmware...for my 2 Months old
SMSL DAC D400EX. Firmware was done 100% right, like described in the Instructiom.
Now, Nothing works, all black, no Display, Unit remains cold.

Woow, whats wrong hier.? Its a new Unit and i have done nothing wrong...
May be this Problem is already known and nothing new? , a Bug...?

Thanks, MJ:)

exhale

Hello,

SMSL DAC D400EX. Firmware was done 100% right, like described in the Instructiom.

I'm facing the same issue as i'm writing this and i think there are some steps missing, from their .pdf file. I'll tinker around some more and see if i can sort it out and if so, i'll post back here.

exhale

Hello,

So in my case, it was a case of not paying proper attention to which file i should have selected. Are you sure you've selected the proper "SMSL_IAP_XX_XXX.hex" file and not the "MM32F103xx_o.hex" one? Because if you've selected the latter, you'll semi-brick the device. If so, go through the steps needed to put the DAC into firmware upgrade mode once again then when at the file selection screen, go up one page and select the proper .hex file. It should work as intended and the DAC will boot up once it's finished updating the firmware.
Hope this helped.

OP
M

MJDelmar

Hello,

there is no SMSL_IAP_XX_XXX.hex File in the Firmware i have downloaded....?
I have extract only the FIle: IAP_D400EX_1v01_b4.hex

Where can i find the File: SMSL_IAP_XX_XXX.hex ?

Thanks

OP
M

MJDelmar

Hi,

have solved the Problem now...:)

That was the proper File IAP_D400EX_1v01_b4.hex

Best Regards, MJ:)

Doc_Octopus

Hello, I'm trying to update the firmware 1.01 but the ISPv2.4 program crashes when I press the "connect" button.
Can you help me?

exhale

Hello, I'm trying to update the firmware 1.01 but the ISPv2.4 program crashes when I press the "connect" button.
Can you help me?
Are you using Windows 10 or 11? Do you get any windows error upon crashing? Have you checked "Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Problem Reports"? What about the Event Viewer? If you can find any error on the program, reply back here and i'll try to help you more. Additionally, have you tried running it out of another Windows machine? (laptop, another desktop, etc.).

Sorry for the late reply but i rarely come back here.

asrUser

All these people succeeding to upgrade and brick their SMSL while I am sitting here trying to get the connection state working.

exhale

All these people succeeding to upgrade and brick their SMSL while I am sitting here trying to get the connection state working.
Well, actually you do not brick your device if you use the wrong update file. It just stays in the "DFU" (for the lack of a better word) mode and you can restart the update process, using the correct file. As i wrote in one of my earlier posts in this thread, i also thought i "bricked" it but it was just me not being careful while selecting the proper file.

What do you mean by the "connection state"? Getting it to boot into the update mode?

asrUser

Well, actually you do not brick your device if you use the wrong update file. It just stays in the "DFU" (for the lack of a better word) mode and you can restart the update process, using the correct file. As i wrote in one of my earlier posts in this thread, i also thought i "bricked" it but it was just me not being careful while selecting the proper file.

What do you mean by the "connection state"? Getting it to boot into the update mode?
I'm booting it to update mode by pressing FN and the display stays blank as it should. Connecting to my PC, but the Firmware Updater from SMSL just doesn't show connected if I press connect. I have no idea how to update this thing.

exhale

I'm booting it to update mode by pressing FN and the display stays blank as it should. Connecting to my PC, but the Firmware Updater from SMSL just doesn't show connected if I press connect. I have no idea how to update this thing.
You could try using a different USB port, for starters. Make sure you're running the app with admin privileges. Was the unit working in normal, DAC mode? Also, try using a different USB cable (in case you have a spare one at hand). By pressing connect, you're referring to the handshake icon, correct? You put it in update mode by pressing both the Power button and the FN button; are you doing the same?

asrUser

By coincidence I succeeded to update the firmware process. The update manual is really ass. Version was 1.01 but are there newer versions atm?

It's strange when I connect my D400EX the audio device only shows "SMSL Audio Device", but when I connect with bluetooth the device shows as "SMSL D400EX...". Is it broken? At least USB input is able to play sound and music.

Top Bottom