• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smart Plugs

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm not sure this is the best area to put this in, but here goes.

Does anyone know of a wi-fi smart plug that can be controlled with a windows application and doesn't need an Apple or Android phone or tablet to operate it?

I want to be able to operate a plug in order to turn my coffee machine in the kitchen on or off, from my PC upstairs, preferably with an app that doesn't need to know my location, medical history and the name of my first girlfriend, before allowing me to use it. :mad:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You MIGHT need an app (especially with a Wi-Fi plug) but it doesn't HAVE to go over the Internet or cell phone network. I have a Z-wave setup that integrates with my home network only.

The Z-Wave devices have their own special network and I have a programmable hub that's programmed for on/off/dim times. It can run stand-alone without a computer/phone/tablet, or I can access it via Wi-Fi for "manual remote control" . It doesn't use an app, the hub just shows-up as a web page an the network.

...Most "smart home" devices are not directly on the Wi-Fi network - Home Automation Protocols.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure this is the best area to put this in, but here goes.

Does anyone know of a wi-fi smart plug that can be controlled with a windows application and doesn't need an Apple or Android phone or tablet to operate it?

I want to be able to operate a plug in order to turn my coffee machine in the kitchen on or off, from my PC upstairs, preferably with an app that doesn't need to know my location, medical history and the name of my first girlfriend, before allowing me to use it. :mad:
I have the shelly smart plugs which have there own web interface.
Any web brower can control it.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Thanks for your suggestions chaps.

I've actually managed to get something working - but what a palaver!

1713800561091.png

1. Install the Meross smart plug Android app, and add all my details and enter the e-mail verification code.

2. Install a Samsung account app, once again giving it a whole bunch of details and enter the e-mail verification code.

3. Install the Samsung SmartThings app my Android phone.

4. Link the SmartThings Android app, to the Meross Android app.

5. Install the SmartThings app on my PC.

6. Lose the will to live - typing in a whole bunch of nice secure 16 character randomly generated passwords containing upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers on my phone's tiny touch screen is not fun. :facepalm:

Now I've got the smart plug working, I've just got to modify my coffee machine and replace the existing "auto off" switch with an "on-off" switch - should be a piece of cake. :)

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for your suggestions chaps.

I've actually managed to get something working - but what a palaver!

View attachment 365272

1. Install the Meross smart plug Android app, and add all my details and enter the e-mail verification code.

2. Install a Samsung account app, once again giving it a whole bunch of details and enter the e-mail verification code.

3. Install the Samsung SmartThings app my Android phone.

4. Link the SmartThings Android app, to the Meross Android app.

5. Install the SmartThings app on my PC.

6. Lose the will to live - typing in a whole bunch of nice secure 16 character randomly generated passwords containing upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers on my phone's tiny touch screen is not fun. :facepalm:

Now I've got the smart plug working, I've just got to modify my coffee machine and replace the existing "auto off" switch with an "on-off" switch - should be a piece of cake. :)
shelly, no phone needed.. 2 steps instead of 6

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Wyze asked for all that cr@p. But at least I was cool just using my phone. But for a smart plug, Wyze still completely borks Daylight Savings Time. Twice a year I have to reprogram the on/off setting. :facepalm: What's funny is that it actually changes the time to avoid DST, so when we skip ahead an hour it resets the time I put in to 4:30 instead of leaving it at 5:30 and just skipping ahead with the rest of us and our devices!
Yes, DST is stupid.
But so is Wyze!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too had problems with Wyze products. Too much to type, will just say do not buy Wyze automation stuff.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I too had problems with Wyze products. Too much to type, will just say do not buy Wyze automation stuff.
Thinking about replacing them with Kasa: have seen some good reviews about their stuff.

It really is annoying, specifically, when we "fall back" an hour, but Wyze resets itself an hour ahead! My Espresso machine doesn't turn on in time! :mad:

:p

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about replacing them with Kasa: have seen some good reviews about their stuff.

It really is annoying, specifically, when we "fall back" an hour, but Wyze resets itself an hour ahead! My Espresso machine doesn't turn on in time! :mad:

:p
Belkin stuff gets good ratings too, FYI

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
To control power to my sub and monitors, I use a Sonoff RFR3 controlled by an RF TX Series wall switch. No PC or internet required (although I can control the RFR3 from my phone or with Alexa as well).

I didn't want to use a phone or tablet. What I want to be able to do is power on the coffee machine in the Kitchen from my office, so that I can allow a few minutes for it to get up to temperature before I actually go and make coffee.

If I'm in the office, I'll be sat at the PC anyway, so I want to use that, rather than having mess about with an app on a separate device.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I really like the Kasa smartplugs. It costs so little to buy as well. I have one controlling my lighting for the indoor garden. It even measures power usage!

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Unfortunately, I didn't think about wanting to use Windows, before buying the plug. I sort of assumed that as it was wi-fi, it would be available from a PC. Well it is, but it was a bit more of a faff to set up than I was expecting - lesson learned. :)

They were quite cheap though, £15.00 for two of them.

DonR

Major Contributor
Any plug that can be flashed with Tasmota can easily be controlled from a PC. I control my headphone amp using shell scripts.

This one shuts the amp (via smartplug) after 10:00PM when the script is run on a shutdown

set hour=%time:~0,2%
if %hour% GTR 22 curl "http://10.0.1.17/cm?cmnd=Power% OFF"

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't want to use a phone or tablet. What I want to be able to do is power on the coffee machine in the Kitchen from my office, so that I can allow a few minutes for it to get up to temperature before I actually go and make coffee.

If I'm in the office, I'll be sat at the PC anyway, so I want to use that, rather than having mess about with an app on a separate device.

I think you misunderstand. I use a wall mounted touch switch (stuck to the whiteboard, next to my desk), which is connected to the smart switch under my desk via RF433 (there is a simple process to pair them which doesn't require an app or anything else).

The whole point of my setup was to have a physical switch to turn my system off and on without needing an app on a PC, phone or anywhere else...

IMG_20240423_005820368 (Small).jpg

If I want, I can use an app or tell Alexa to 'turn on my monitors' because the RFR3 switch under the desk is also connected to wi-fi, but I rarely do (because it's much easier to touch the button!)

Top Bottom