• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small footprint AMP

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

Thank you for contacting NAD Support.

For the D3020, temperatures up to 44 degrees Celsius can occur as the chassis normal operating temperature. If the D3020 overheats it will go into thermal shut down to protect itself. This will be indicated by a "Red" Power Icon.

To help ensure that your D3020 is getting the best possible cooling, I would suggest keeping the amplifier in a vertical position with ample room in front of both vents to allow unobstructed airflow.

I hope this information helps!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could make a silent fan to force some airflow over it. To keep my laptop cool and stop the very noisy internal fan from comming on; I modified a 120mm Scythe PC fan with a USB cable so it's powered with 5V, rather than 12V. It runs very slowly, but it's enough to gteatly reduce the amount of time the noisey fan runs. Note than no all fans will start with so low a voltage, I think you need to find one that draws a low current - the Scythe fan i'm using is rated at 0.17A at 12V.

Willem

Major Contributor
For uses such as these, although at a somewhat higher pirce, I would think the Sonos AMP is also a good idea. The analogue input was crappy when Amir tested it, but that is not its use case. Digital is fine. It runs cool and has an auto on/off function so you can put it out of sight. We use a more modest Ava Maestro 50 chip amplifier with digital input for a CCA for precisely this, tucked away in a wardrobe, and I am quite happy although it would lack power for more serious speakers in a larger room.

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

You could make a silent fan to force some airflow over it. To keep my laptop cool and stop the very noisy internal fan from comming on; I modified a 120mm Scythe PC fan with a USB cable so it's powered with 5V, rather than 12V. It runs very slowly, but it's enough to gteatly reduce the amount of time the noisey fan runs. Note than no all fans will start with so low a voltage, I think you need to find one that draws a low current - the Scythe fan i'm using is rated at 0.17A at 12V.

I used this to make a fan out of a Noctua 140 it lowered the temp 5c

EDIT added image. Used blue tack to hold it in place.

wxBocRQ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

welp, I had to send the 3020v2 back. It just ran too hot. Got it up to 55C (bought a infrared thermometer) when I turned off my DIY fan. NAD blamed the Q150's so I tried it with Polk S15's . . . same result. Maybe I got a lemon. I had to unbox my yamaha r-s202 and topping d30. The search continues for a small foot print solution.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
welp, I had to send the 3020v2 back. It just ran too hot.
Sorry it didn't work out. I feel terrible because I may have been the one who mentioned it to you in the first place.

The Emotiva A-100 has a somewhat bigger footprint (much smaller than full size gear though) and runs cool at normal listening levels.

As far as Aiyima A07, Amir had this to say about, so I'm not sure:
At 20 watts, it is running around 80% efficient so is producing 8 watts of heat into that little heatsink. With no vent or circulation, I would not deploy this amp for continuous high power use.
Although sitting at your desk, you're probably not going to be pushing it that hard, so this may be a non-issue. Definitely a lot of value for the money.

Jdunk54nl

Sorry it didn't work out. I feel terrible because I may have been the one who mentioned it to you in the first place.

The Emotiva A-100 has a somewhat bigger footprint (much smaller than full size gear though) and runs cool at normal listening levels.

As far as Aiyima A07, Amir had this to say about, so I'm not sure:

Although sitting at your desk, you're probably not going to be pushing it that hard, so this may be a non-issue. Definitely a lot of value for the money.
I've been using my Aiyima A07 for the past couple of days for 8 hour stretches at my desk with comfortable music level and some louder testing times. I have felt the top to see how hot it is getting, and not once was it much over warm.

Here is a flir one camera thermal image after playing music for the past 2 hours.

FLIR_20.jpeg

Bottom
FLIR_21.jpeg

Edit, here is the internal temps:

FLIR_23.jpeg

Last edited:

escape2

I've been using my Aiyima A07 for the past couple of days for 8 hour stretches at my desk with comfortable music level and some louder testing times. I have felt the top to see how hot it is getting, and not once was it much over warm.
Yeah, I've figured at normal listening levels, this isn't going to be an issue.

Amir got it up to 57 deg C after a few minutes of pushing 20W x 2 (4 Ohm):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yima-a07-tpa3255-tear-down.19020/#post-622716

My guess is you're not pushing anywhere close to this much in nearfield.

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Yeah, I've figured at normal listening levels, this isn't going to be an issue.

Amir got it up to 57 deg C after a few minutes of pushing 20W x 2 (4 Ohm):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yima-a07-tpa3255-tear-down.19020/#post-622716

My guess is you're not pushing anywhere close to this much in nearfield.

Here is a time lapse video (picture every 15s for 12 minutes straight) playing music way too loud. I had to put my ear plugs (etymotic) in to be in the room and even then it was a too loud. I could hear it clear with my office door closed all the way across my house which is about 40 steps away and through a bunch of walls. I could still easily rest my hand forever on the heat sink:

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the final word from NAD CS. Very polite and very elusive. I had already shipped the 3020v2 back but I wanted to get NAD on record and all they wanted to do is nothing.

My email followed by their response:

Ok, just so you have the full picture. The only application I am currently using with the NAD is as follows: Amazon Music App(PC) -> optical -> Q150+dayton sub-1200.

The 3020v2 has 6+ inches of clearance on all sides.
The speaker wires have been moved so that they do not come close(3 inches) to any other wire on my desktop.
This is near field use. I run at about 55%. This should not be taxing or extreme usage.
The dipping to 3.7 ohm seems like a corner case and highly unlikely to be a constant within my usage.

There are vendors who sell the 3020v2 packaged with the Q150's. I have seen them reviewed together.
https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=nad d3020#pgnum=&sort=

What do you think is more likely?
Incompatible equipment
or
Faulty equipment

Thank you for getting back to me.

I’m afraid this nature of technical issues is very difficult for our support team to troubleshoot and diagnose from a distance. I can only go by the numbers on datasheets, as it is quite difficult for us to troubleshoot hardware issues over email.

With this being said, it may be best to visit or call your closest authorized NAD Service Center to book a service appointment. This will allow our expert service techs to perform a full system diagnostics, and determine what will be required to resolve the issue.

For more information please see the following article: https://support.nadelectronics.com/...87-Where-can-I-find-a-Service-Centre-near-me-

I'm sorry there is not more I can do for you myself, but to prevent any misinformation, it would be best to discuss this with the service center directly.

Kind regards,
Sam R.
Support Crew Analyst

Jdunk54nl

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the final word from NAD CS. Very polite and very elusive. I had already shipped the 3020v2 back but I wanted to get NAD on record and all they wanted to do is nothing.

My email followed by their response:

That sounds pretty normal to me. They can't diagnose something very easy without hands on the device. It isn't like something is clearly visibly broke with it. This also isn't them doing nothing, they are telling you they need to get their hands on it before they can help you further. Seems pretty reasonable to be honest.

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

That sounds pretty normal to me. They can't diagnose something very easy without hands on the device. It isn't like something is clearly visibly broke with it. This also isn't them doing nothing, they are telling you they need to get their hands on it before they can help you further. Seems pretty reasonable to be honest.

Your point is valid I guess. My issue is that they would not clearly acknowledge that the unit was functioning out of spec. Bringing the unit to a repair facility is just spending good money after bad. Not a viable solution. It just left a bad taste.

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

I just got the Aiyima A07. You can see it on the right side with the Topping D30. On the left side, the huge, the sun eclipsing Yamaha R-S202 which will become the backup. PS; the A07 came with the PSU.

FcMLXQJ.jpg

Jdunk54nl

I just got the Aiyima A07. You can see it on the right side with the Topping D30. On the left side, the huge, the sun eclipsing Yamaha R-S202 which will become the backup. PS; the A07 came with the PSU.

FcMLXQJ.jpg
Nice little amp isn’t it!

OP
HorizonsEdge

HorizonsEdge

How about some comparison in sound quality for A07 vs NAD3020 ?

Observations so far (with limited air time and old ears):
1 - I immediately noticed how loud the A07 is compared to anything I have ever used. On the NAD, comfortable near field listening was 55-65% of the controls. The A07 was too loud on the 3rd notch of 24 forcing me to cut my PC volume output to 60% just so I wont blow my speakers by accidently twisting the volume knob too far. I am still dialing it in.
2 - A07 runs cool. I had to send the NAD back because it was running hot out of spec.
3 - Let compare the connections
PC->3020->Q150
PC->3020->Sub-1200

PC->Topping D30(dac)->A07->Sub-1200->Q150

4 - While I have not changed the settings on the sub the A07 seems to put out more bass. I do not know if it is the wiring or the A07.
5 - MIDs seem to be slightly (miniscule but noticeable) stronger.
6 - Highs are indistinguishable
7 - Soundstage unaffected (one of my fav things about the Q150's)

Small sample size and first impression so YMMV

cyberzigot

Observations so far (with limited air time and old ears):
1 - I immediately noticed how loud the A07 is compared to anything I have ever used. On the NAD, comfortable near field listening was 55-65% of the controls. The A07 was too loud on the 3rd notch of 24 forcing me to cut my PC volume output to 60% just so I wont blow my speakers by accidently twisting the volume knob too far. I am still dialing it in.
2 - A07 runs cool. I had to send the NAD back because it was running hot out of spec.
3 - Let compare the connections
PC->3020->Q150
PC->3020->Sub-1200

PC->Topping D30(dac)->A07->Sub-1200->Q150

4 - While I have not changed the settings on the sub the A07 seems to put out more bass. I do not know if it is the wiring or the A07.
5 - MIDs seem to be slightly (miniscule but noticeable) stronger.
6 - Highs are indistinguishable
7 - Soundstage unaffected (one of my fav things about the Q150's)

Small sample size and first impression so YMMV
Based on your input I'd say the A07 is superb value considering the price

Offler

Hi. I recently purchased NAD d3020 v2.

1. Yes it runs hot.
2. Paired with Elacs DBR 62, i dont know how much the speakers affects the amp itself especially when it comes to heat.
3. I compared SPDIF (Optical) with AUX input.
Internal DAC is CS42528 (up to 192KHz 24bit)
The other DAC is in my PC and its Realtek ALC1220 (Up to 32bit 384KHz. The circuitry around it is not bad (Nichicon caps, gold-plated contacts, clean power source, some shielding).

The amplifier part itself is modified UcD102 by Hypex, and according to NAD support, analog inputs (bot AUX and Phono) should bypass internal ADC/DAC and go straight to amplifier.

In my opinion the AUX input sounds better, can you confirm that?

Top Bottom