• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

final advice bookshelfspeaker + DAC/AMP with good USB for very tight Desktop space

Nydus

Hey Audiophiles.

I need some final advice for my cramped space. I tried the Kanto YU2 but they where way too boomy and the Audioengines A2+ are...just not enough. They cant cheat physics. ;)

small Setup.jpg

As you can see i need to fit the speakers behind and under the monitor while laying them on their side.

I favor the Dali Spektor 1 because they seem to have the best mix of small footprint, audio quality and price.
Favored measurements are 25cm high, 20cm deep and 15cm wide (<10" high, <8" deep, <6" wide). I tried to simulate the Q 3010i with a ruler but the 25cm deep are a dealbreaker.
Any other suggestions? Please keep in mind that i just have access to the EU market (im in Germany) so no fancy US only speakers and my limit is around 200$ for a set.

The speakers will be supported by a 12" sub.

With the DAC im completely lost. I favored the Loxjie A30 but since it seems it is rather subpar over USB i need some advice.

What i need:

+ good sound over USB (no optical on PC)
+ volume knob
+ enough power for the Dali
+ small footprint (it will go in front of the monitor stand in the middle)
+ sub out (Aux out for the sub would be bit awkward...)
+ internal PSU would be nice but no must have

What i don't need:

- bright display that distracts me while gaming (i dont really need a display at all)
- remote control
- headphone AMP

Would be nice if the thing costs under or around 200$.

Thank your for your time! :)

Attachments

• small Setup.jpg
    small Setup.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 51

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You have space on your right and some on your left it seems. Start by moving your desktop to the floor. Then you probably will have space to put them next to your screen.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would do and move anything I could to get those speakers to sit R/L of your display, and I would not give up until I was successful.

dedobot

OP excuse me but you are pedantic . I used to play all day long counter-strike more than a decade with Jamo d365 (15" bass drivers) :)

OP
N

Nydus

They look pretty cool! But its 3 Months till shipping and nobody heard them. I bought the YU2 and A2+ blind. Im cured. o_O But thanks for the link. Maybe i get some in the future if they review well.

Oh and i measured again. If I really tug them in, i could fit the Q 3010i. Are they worth the hassle in terms of step up from the Dali? Or is the headache just not worth it?

OP
N

Nydus

OP excuse me but you are pedantic . I used to play all day long counter-strike more than a decade with Jamo d365 (15" bass drivers) :)
Yeah i ruined it for myself. I had a pair of Argon FENRIS Active 4 laying around for my wife and thought it wouldnt hurt to check if there was a big difference between them and the A2. There was... :facepalm:

OP
N

Nydus

Easier said then done. That mofo is heavy and i cant use a monitor arm cause of the desk. i also thought about a soundbase but then the monitor is too high up.

Furthermore i found my speakers. There is a really good deal on the Fyne Audio F300 for 150€ new. The reviews are a bit mixed but they seem fine for the price.

So whats left is the DAC. Should i just get an AIYIMA T9 pro and call it a day? It will look a bit out of place with the tubes and the AUX for the sub is strange but they get very high praise all around.

OP
N

Nydus

I just ordered the T9 Pro. I read A LOT and some where just to big, some where just ugly (since its sitting in front of me its kinda important) and some where good but the USB implementation wasn´t ideal. It was rather difficult to find impressions where people used the USB connection. Im still kicking myself for not getting a motherboard with optical out but while picking one out i thought i would never need it lol

I moved the monitor a bit so the side with the pc case can accommodate a bit larger speaker. So while they are still be laying on their side and be near a wall, i will have some more options.

Are the Klipsch R41M/R40M decent?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nydus

If someone comes here via google: i ended up with a used pair of Q 3020 (non i) for 175€ in mint condition. The 3020 are a bit smaller then its newer brothers. I´ll post one last time when everything arrives to give a little feedback.

OP
N

Nydus

I promised that I´ll post one last time for what I settled in case someone is in the same position and comes here via google.

I choose the Topping MX3S in combination with the Dali Spektor 1.

Desktop.jpg

The Topping has everything I need and produces a very nice sound. Footprint is also superb.

I tested the Dali Spektor 1 versus:
- Wharfedale Diamond 12.0
- Q 3020
- Mission LX-1 Mk II (will arrive tomorrow but I will keep the Dali)

All in all the Wharfedale had, for me, the best sound. Q 3020 are way to bright for me. The battle between Dali and Wharfedale was much closer but while the Wharfedale look very very nice and produce the best sound, they are very large compared to the Dali.

The Dali are cheap, small and the sound is good enough for playing games and listening to some random YouTube videos. They also don´t look that bad once you get used to it. :D

I hope this helps some people in the future. :)

Top Bottom