• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Since the Eris E5 XT were found to be quite poor by Amir

Hotwetrat

I was wondering, I find Audioholics generally quite good but I don't really know what to look for, they seem to give the Eris E8 XT quite a shining, objective and subjective review inc measurements https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/presonus-eris-e8-xt/conclusion

My curiosity is can this be possible ? A significant difference in the same line - E5 XT/E8 XT

Amir reviewed the E5 XT here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/presonus-e5-xt-active-speaker-review.13436/ and was very unimpressed.

Cheers.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I was wondering, I find Audioholics generally quite good but I don't really know what to look for, they seem to give the Eris E8 XT quite a shining, objective and subjective review inc measurements https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/presonus-eris-e8-xt/conclusion

My curiosity is can this be possible ? A significant difference in the same line - E5 XT/E8 XT

Amir reviewed the E5 XT here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/presonus-e5-xt-active-speaker-review.13436/ and was very unimpressed.

Cheers.
https://pierreaubert.github.io/spin...+E8+XT&version1=misc-audioholics&version0=asr

They don't look totally dissimilar in my opinion.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I was wondering, ...
For a speaker of this class (studio monitor, whatever that means) the distortion is quite high. May be, derived from the low price, the midwoofer is lacking copper in the motor. The cross over frequency is quite high: tons of intermodulation in the mids (not measured), quite critical lobing vertically, irregularities even in the listening window. The JBL 305 is, by a bigger margin, the better contender in that same price bracket.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually the JBL LSR 308 mkII is in the same price bracket and better than the Eris or its baby brother.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Fair enough - disappointing.

I paid £109 each, brand new. And falling for the audioholics review, thought it was a deal worth snapping up.

For that price I won't complain since I have EQ APO and they do their job and are quite enjoyable in a very small room, hence I really don't need to come in the ball park of pushing them.

That being said, if I had known all this I would still probably have paid the £220 each or so for the JBL. Money is very tight at the moment and I just wanted somethign decent for my small bedroom gaming/movie setup.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a speaker of this class (studio monitor, whatever that means) the distortion is quite high. May be, derived from the low price, the midwoofer is lacking copper in the motor. The cross over frequency is quite high: tons of intermodulation in the mids (not measured), quite critical lobing vertically, irregularities even in the listening window. The JBL 305 is, by a bigger margin, the better contender in that same price bracket.
Do you mean the distortion of the E5 XT as there are no distortion measurements of the E8 XT?
By the way even the 308 distortion measurements aren't much better than of the E5 XT at 86 dB, in the upper mids actually worse (unfortunately also no comparable distortion measurements for the 305):

1668519066458.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
Do you mean the distortion of the E5 XT as there are no distortion measurements of the E8 XT?
You're right. I missed the point that the o/p asked for similarities of the E-5-X evaluated here with the E-8-X evaluated there. My bad? I overread it.

To come back to the o/p's question. It can and has to be. There is rarely a 'line', except for the worse. The 8 and 5 are simply different speakers.

But again, speculating only because one isn't able (and/or willing) to take some home-grown measurements isn't up to date, me thinks. If one is keen on having a well-maintained machinery to reproduce music, the measurement thing is a must, imho. If it wasn't possible, why not ask in the local community if there is someone who would do it for two (high-end!) six-packs of beer plus a bag of chips in return?

mglobe

Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, Eris needs more EQ, mind you on above comparison the vendors data are used on the JBL which are usually more smoother.

@pierre Why don't the ASR data appear as an option on above comparison pull down menu?

Hi @thewas, that's a naming issue. There is a JBL 308P (without the LSR part). I will fix it. It looks like the DI curves are missing.

newplot (3).png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much, now it can be seen better what I said above, namely with different smoothing the JBL now doesn't look as much superior as before, though now the Audioholics measurement of the Eris is the too smoothing one:

newplot.png

Top Bottom