• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shout-out to @Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which brand of tea and bags or loose leaf? His response could make or break his reputation as an Englishman.
You asked!
Decades ago arriving at a test at Brands Hatch very early in the morning having driven through central London to get there (it was pre M25) I made a cup of tea in the truck and it was so good I checked out the brand. It was "Brooke Bond Choicest Blend" and the truckie (the truck drivers did all the test logistics back then the team manager usually didn't go to tests at all) had chosen it because of the dark green box matched our team colour scheme (so it was early 1980s).

At first I guessed I enjoyed it so much because I was gasping for tea after the drive but drinking it throughout the test realised it was the best most refreshing tea I had ever drunk. I drank the loose leaf version until they stopped blending it - which was a massively big deal for me :(.

Anyway I started trying to find something similar and had months of disappointment but eventually reading about a Brit in California getting their tea from a mail order place in the North East called Ringtons, I looked it up and bought a selection of their blends.
Great rejoicing - their "delux refreshing" blend was really close and I changed to that. Then they stopped blending it :( and after a few years supplied "breakfast" in my regular order. It isn't as good, though they told me it is the same, but it is still my preferred blend, I have a mug here as I type.

I do have various green, white and black teas I can brew if I wish too but 99% of the time it will be Ringtons Breakfast, loose leaf made in a pre- warmed London teapot company strainer teapot so I can remove the leaves when properly brewed. I drink between 2 and 3 litres of it per day.

Chester

You asked!
Decades ago arriving at a test at Brands Hatch very early in the morning having driven through central London to get there (it was pre M25) I made a cup of tea in the truck and it was so good I checked out the brand. It was "Brooke Bond Choicest Blend" and the truckie (the truck drivers did all the test logistics back then the team manager usually didn't go to tests at all) had chosen it because of the dark green box matched our team colour scheme (so it was early 1980s).

At first I guessed I enjoyed it so much because I was gasping for tea after the drive but drinking it throughout the test realised it was the best most refreshing tea I had ever drunk. I drank the loose leaf version until they stopped blending it - which was a massively big deal for me :(.

Anyway I started trying to find something similar and had months of disappointment but eventually reading about a Brit in California getting their tea from a mail order place in the North East called Ringtons, I looked it up and bought a selection of their blends.
Great rejoicing - their "delux refreshing" blend was really close and I changed to that. Then they stopped blending it :( and after a few years supplied "breakfast" in my regular order. It isn't as good, though they told me it is the same, but it is still my preferred blend, I have a mug here as I type.

I do have various green, white and black teas I can brew if I wish too but 99% of the time it will be Ringtons Breakfast, loose leaf made in a pre- warmed London teapot company strainer teapot so I can remove the leaves when properly brewed. I drink between 2 and 3 litres of it per day.

If you haven’t tried Brew Tea Company before (Manchester based I believe), their loose breakfast tea is decent enough, although needs a little longer to brew I find. They also have the most effective tea pot I’ve come across. A very simple and easy to clean design. I have tried many but stuck with theirs. I also rate the loose leaf Tea Pigs breakfast tea, despite it being considered an every man’s tea dressed as something special.

As a fellow Brit always chasing the perfect tea, I shall try your suggestions above, thanks.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you haven’t tried Brew Tea Company before (Manchester based I believe), their loose breakfast tea is decent enough, although needs a little longer to brew I find. They also have the most effective tea pot I’ve come across. A very simple and easy to clean design. I have tried many but stuck with theirs. I also rate the loose leaf Tea Pigs breakfast tea, despite it being considered an every man’s tea dressed as something special.

As a fellow Brit always chasing the perfect tea, I shall try your suggestions above, thanks.
Their breakfast tea is 3x the price I am used to paying - as a retiree with my high consumption I'd be bankrupt in no time if I bought theirs!

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ha... I just had to order some bags of Ringtons De-luxe Extra Fresh Loose Tea once I'd visited Frank, back in 2017 I think it was. Absolutely loved the stuff, but then went all decaffeinated soon thereafter. I'm back on one caffeinated drink per day first thing in the morning, so might give a Ringtons another go. Shame they've changed the blend though.

If any tea lovers are ever in or around the Leamington area (in the UK), be sure to check out my nephew's newly opened cafe, Karak Chaii, in the centre of town. Certainly not a typical English cuppa, but something I'm falling in love with.

Mani.

Top Bottom