• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should There be Energy Efficiency Rules for Amplifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is a fun thread because on aggregate amps do indeed consume little. I am puzzled that some seem tobeantvto cling to gas cooking. As I wrote, both research and my subjective observations suggest that there is a real health benefit and no downside.
I agree there is a benefit to indoor air quality. OTOH, gas cooking is better at instantaneous heat control. Electric cooking eyes have a time lag. Several years ago I moved from a house with gas heat, dryer and oven. Now all electric. All electric is better all things considered to me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the headphones' impedance, though... and sensitivity.
Well with the huge majority of headphones, 1 watt is a massive power level. One can find headphones that need more just like one can find speakers that need no more than that. Still as with most 'banning' those doing the ban are not going to sweat the details.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The inductive cooktops are pretty good. Our daughter & son-in-law use one; they love it. Not inexpensive though (nor were the PVs that they've had installed -- nor were the PV's we've had installed here).

ErVikingo

Why not skip the whole music reproduction then? Its important for us but not for all. It is a luxury.

Only music allowed should be acoustic as played on green, recycled, upcycled instruments.

Also, only consume fruits from free range plants and only after they plants dispose of them (lets all be frutarians!).

Might as well control processor speed in computers and time spent online.

Cynicism aside, where do we stop.......?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm against such a ban. If it came to pass, only after a ban on crypto-currency. I'm pretty sure all the audio amplifiers in the world don't use the juice that crypto-mining does.

Oh, and mandating all cooking be done in the most energy efficient manner which is probably microwave ovens. No toaster ovens, no toasters, no baking/broiling ovens, no gas or electric cooktops, just microwave, geothermal or solar cooking only. No hickory cooked BBQ, nothing like that. I guess cooking via the engine bay of ICE vehicles would be allowed since it is waste heat anyway. Maybe some heat-pump based system could rescue some of these cooking methods to be as efficient as microwaving.
I'm with you on banning Crypto. It has no function other than speculation and facilitating illegal transactions.
As for your take on cooking, let's skip the entire process and eat it raw.

ErVikingo

I'm with you on banning Crypto. It has no function other than speculation and facilitating illegal transactions.
As for your take on cooking, let's skip the entire process and eat it raw.
lets do the whole circle and lets go for Soylent Green

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is a fun thread because on aggregate amps do indeed consume little. I am puzzled that some seem tobeantvto cling to gas cooking. As I wrote, both research and my subjective observations suggest that there is a real health benefit and no downside.
There are elements of parody, sarcasm and general silliness at loose.

I'm in love with my gas cooktop. I will admit induction cooktops are highly effective. Maybe it's like driving a manual transmission.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So... I mean, wind-up Victrolas are still a 'green' option.

ErVikingo

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So... I mean, wind-up Victrolas are still a 'green' option.
I don't know. You have to burn calories to wind it up. Especially if you aren't vegan I'm not sure the overall result is better. Then again if you are vegan lots of extra methane production. Can't win either way.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the vast majority of young people (Gen Z) who will be future consumers of HiFi in 20 years do not care and will gladly buy Class D equipment because they are gladly consuming music streaming on the cheap. The power to tax is the power to destroy so if we suddenly placed a 30% energy tax on all Class A and Tube amps, the only people yelling and screaming would hardly make a dent in the market and over time, those willing to pay the premium will continue to support this tiny niche industry while the mainstream will be all Class D. No different than rich people willing to pay the gas guzzler tax for their V8.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to totally derail this thread, but I thought the push against gas stoves was at least in part because they emit a lot more carcinogens than previously realized?
Dead people don't realize anything. So do we have more effect against global warming by allowing gas stoves and a lesser population or by going all electric and having a higher population. Mmmmmmmmmmm................where do we stop indeed? I think we can reasonably stop well before banning amplifiers of a certain class of operation. :cool:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dead people don't realize anything. So do we have more effect against global warming by allowing gas stoves and a lesser population or by going all electric and having a higher population. Mmmmmmmmmmm................where do we stop indeed?
See, this is why I try to avoid political threads online... :D

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to totally derail this thread, but I thought the push against gas stoves was at least in part because they emit a lot more carcinogens than previously realized?
I think it was a big rise in childhood asthma - expensive for governments, ultimately, so better pre-empted. Not really connected to green issues in the coverage I saw.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was a big rise in childhood asthma - expensive for governments, ultimately, so better pre-empted. Not really connected to green issues in the coverage I saw.
I don't think childhood asthma is on the rise from gas stoves. If anything there are fewer gas stoves, those we have are cleaner than in the past. Not having gas stoves may still help in that regard, but one of those correlation is not causation situations.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Of 435 members of the US Congress and 100 Senators, I can think of maybe 3 (on a good day) who could explain what the Three Laws of Thermodynamics are. This means there's 532 ignoramuses who will decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom