• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should There be Energy Efficiency Rules for Amplifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A 20 dB increase in loudspeaker sensitivity would reduce the amount of amplifier output power required by 100 fold.
Just sayin'.

:cool:
Thinking outside the cone!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry energy efficient music transducers would be earphones. If I have to choose between phones, speakers and the planet catching fire, well let it burn.
Horns are close. Mine drag down 20mW at full volume.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't know. You have to burn calories to wind it up. Especially if you aren't vegan I'm not sure the overall result is better. Then again if you are vegan lots of extra methane production. Can't win either way.
Good ol' thermodynamics...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of 435 members of the US Congress and 100 Senators, I can think of maybe 3 (on a good day) who could explain what the Three Laws of Thermodynamics are. This means there's 532 ignoramuses who will decide.
Saw an article on this very idea after the last election. I think the article came up with 13 members who might know something of Thermodynamics. I think 7 were engineers.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
mmm ... thermodynamics.

100 dB SPL = sound intensity of 0.01 W/m^2
In free field, 1 m radius sphere, area = 4 π / 3 = 4.2 m^2
Total power in the sound waves = 0.04 W if omnidirectional source, 100 dB SPL @ 1 m in free field

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that home hifi is worth the hassle to regulate in that manner: Putin’s war may be more effective at cooling people’s lust for tube audio due to indefinite shortage of Russian tubes.

But I’d love to see how much room-filling sound of the highest quality that I could power entirely from a USB-PD power bank not much larger than a deck of cards.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that home hifi is worth the hassle to regulate in that manner: Putin’s war may be more effective at cooling people’s lust for tube audio due to indefinite shortage of Russian tubes.

But I’d love to see how much room-filling sound of the highest quality that I could power entirely from a USB-PD power bank not much larger than a deck of cards.
GaN chargers are 60 watts. Other PD is 65 watts. And some non-standard ones are 95 watts. Plus you can get hubs that claim more with multiple USB-PD plugs. Or are you referring to PD battery power banks?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think class D are innocent comparing with the others and it always depends.
They are efficient at full power but put it lower and are comparable with Class AB let alone the idle (mine is 30 watts).
Have a look at the chart (aah,the beauty of cramping up the lower values,see how nice it looks if you don't pay attention?) ,even more efficient ones are comparable playing low:

1681802995345.png

JktHifi

I don't think class D are innocent comparing with the others and it always depends.
They are efficient at full power but put it lower and are comparable with Class AB let alone the idle (mine is 30 watts).
Have a look at the chart (aah,the beauty of cramping up the lower values,see how nice it looks if you don't pay attention?) ,even more efficient ones are comparable playing low:

View attachment 279960
Better in 230v, right?

JktHifi

My Hometheatre Class D amp (soundbar with subwoofer) seems consuming more power than Stereo Class AB amp (with floorstand speakers). Louder with Class AB and more enjoyable music all day long.
Probably the subwoofer consume a lot and 5.1 channels demand more power.

Last edited:

Oak Island Matt

A friend of mine has a biiiig DIY horn speaker system with 101 dB sensitivity. He has been a lot into making his own amps too. Most often valve and class A silicon amps. But he was concerned about the heat, and had a switch for summer/winter settings on his biiig OTL amp with loads of 509 valves.
He had previously got my help to mod a diesel tank for his heating converted to a water accumulator tank for the solar panels on his roof.
So when he was about to make a modded pass amp he asked me for some help, and I took a 1 meter 1" copper pipe and soldered two "wings" of 500x50x8 mm of copper flat bar to the pipe. He filled it with transistors and a few resistors. Then I connected it to the tank with two inlet/outlet ball valves.
The power for the amp etc. comes from solar panels via big battery storage. So the sound system was "off grid", played really well, and heated up 2 m2 water.
I wish I could find some photos but now I gotta work.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dead people don't realize anything. So do we have more effect against global warming by allowing gas stoves and a lesser population or by going all electric and having a higher population. Mmmmmmmmmmm................where do we stop indeed? I think we can reasonably stop well before banning amplifiers of a certain class of operation. :cool:
Dead people are important, they vote. Besides, there are the walking dead.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to totally derail this thread, but I thought the push against gas stoves was at least in part because they emit a lot more carcinogens than previously realized?
It started out that way at the CPSC with the objective of banning them altogether. It turns out the study they were depending on was flawed and there was far more data showing no threat. The issue moved over to the DOE as an efficiency rule. The proposed rule only has an effect on high end cooktops which are a small part of the total cooktop market. There is a lot of pushback already. This thread is partly a parody of the gas stove issue.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 279960
ICE Power? Do those things run on regular or premium?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid my english are not so good to understand (is this some kind of expression?)
Gasoline in the USA is usually available in three types Regular low octane, Midgrade, and Premium high octane. Regular and premium gasoline have been around for like 75 years. So regular or expensive premium?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I'm afraid my english are not so good to understand (is this some kind of expression?)

He is doing a double entendre, meaning one word or expression can have double meanings. In this case, "ICE power" might refer to Class D ICEpower amplifiers. "ICE" can also refer to "Internal Combustion Engine", hence his comment on gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom