• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should i replace my stereo amplifier? and with what?

Eastgrove

Hello friendly ASR people!

I have from the information i have read from this forum bought a dac/headphone amplifier and headphone that i am satisfied with. But when i try to read up on different stereoamplifiers and/with DACs i feel completely lost. When i look at the reviews that Amir have done there is i limited options that is recommended in a lower pricerange.

What i have today is:
Speakers: Dali Ikon 7 mk1
Amplifier: Arcam A65 Plus

My problem is that my Arcam have ha "crackling" noise from turning the volume knob and a glitch on the right speaker out. I have found a company that is willing the repair it but the examination cost will be 65€ and i dont know what the end cost will be to fix it. A guesstimate would be around 175€.

So my questions is how much a amplifier with the same performance whould cost today?
I would also need to buy a DAC. for example Topping D10 for my current setup so thats another 100€. So if a future amplifier would have a integrated DAC that would be worth atleast 150€ for me(one less thingy).

Amirs measurements showed that the Yamaha WXA-50 did decent and has a lot of nice features.

If i decide to go for a new Amplifier with intregrated/seperated DAC what other options is there?
My budget is a maximum of 700€.
It would preferable ba a all in one solution because it looks nicer and is more user friendly(way higher WAF).

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you also considered an A/V receiver such as this?
http://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x2700h
Denon and Marantz AVRs can be configured to work with as few as 2 speakers, and still allow the use of Audessy room correction. Halfway decent DACs and amplifiers tend to sound pretty much alike, but room correction can make a substantial sonic improvement.

Downside: Some functions may assume the presence of a TV set and be tricky to navigate without one, but for simply changing sources and volume it shouldn't be a problem.

Kevin1956

I have looked in to its little brother. Seen alot of comments that it isnt good value for money. But i do like how it look and it tick all boxes.
I don’t think it’s little brother has YPAO room correction, and therefore doesn’t have YPAO Volume, both features I highly recommend. Value for money is something only you should decide, since the money is yours!

OP
E

Eastgrove

Have you also considered an A/V receiver such as this?
http://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x2700h
Denon and Marantz AVRs can be configured to work with as few as 2 speakers, and still allow the use of Audessy room correction. Halfway decent DACs and amplifiers tend to sound pretty much alike, but room correction can make a substantial sonic improvement.

Downside: Some functions may assume the presence of a TV set and be tricky to navigate without one, but for simply changing sources and volume it shouldn't be a problem.

I will use it connected to a TV so navigation wont be a problem. It is a little pricey thou.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Eastgrove take a look at Denon PMA-XXXNE lineup and how it suits you. Shouldn't be nothing special regarding performance (SINAD of 82~86 dB) still not bad either, does have a DAC (Optical/Coaxial input only), sub out and cetera.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will use it connected to a TV so navigation wont be a problem. It is a little pricey thou.
I just intended that model as an example. But at least in the USA, AVRs are often available at substantial discounts once newer models are announced.

OP
E

Eastgrove

what kind of volume knob is it? can you clean it with Dexoxit or similar?

I have no idea. But that is the smaller problem. The glitch is the reason i feel forced to do something about my amplifier.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you describe the glitch in the right speaker terminal more?

OP
E

Eastgrove

@Eastgrove take a look at Denon PMA-XXXNE lineup and how it suits you. Shouldn't be nothing special regarding performance (SINAD of 82~86 dB) still not bad either, does have a DAC (Optical/Coaxial input only), sub out and cetera.
Interesting. Are they measured om any website?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Interesting. Are they measured om any website?
PMA-50 whose mesured hire properly:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-denon-pma-50-amplifier.7940/
This is for PMA-600NE:
https://stereotest.nitschkeverlag.de/images/measurement/001767-0.jpg
You probably can find and for others including older NE and AN series.
Like I said 82~86 dB SINAD for analog line in (and eventually little more when using digital and DAC in it).

Edit: talk with more experienced people hire to try to get the one you already have fixed.

OP
E

Eastgrove

PMA-50 whose mesured hire properly:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-denon-pma-50-amplifier.7940/
This is for PMA-600NE:
https://stereotest.nitschkeverlag.de/images/measurement/001767-0.jpg
You probably can find and for others including older NE and AN series.
Like I said 82~86 dB SINAD for analog line in (and eventually little more when using digital and DAC in it).

Edit: talk with more experienced people hire to try to get the one you already have fixed.

Thanks for the measurements. Im leaning towards having my old amplifier repaired.

Top Bottom