• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I buy DAC or Streamer?

somy

Hi,
After trying Tidal for a few weeks I sold my CD-player (audioaero prima) and now start to think which source to get for Tidal streaming and dsd/flac playback.
I own a fairly old HIFI system with a pair of B&W 804S driven by Krell integrated amp, the setup is probably not as good as today so I assume I don't need a hi-end source to match it. On my rack I also have a computer (Lenovo Thinkpad) as HTPC for movies, so I have 2 options:
1) Use the laptop as transport and add a USB DAC. Looks like the cheapest solution but I'm not sure a regular laptop with no power cleaner and usb isolation can provide good SQ, and hence option 2) Find a streamer with DAC, connect directly to the stereo amp - this would simplify the setup and potentially provides more features such as airplay and bluetooth, however I find the ones support MQA has very high price tags.
My max budget is 1500euros and what I'd like:
1) HIFI sound quality at least matches my old CD player I hope - and I listen to classical, jazz, pop mainly
2) DSD and MQA support - which rules out the chord DACs (I was very interested in HUGO 2 initially due to its size and portabiliy)
3) XLR line-out to my integrated amp
4) I'm thinking to get HD650 so it'll be a plus if the DAC/Streamer comes with amp powerful enough for hd650.
5) For a streamer airplay support would be a big plus

Please help which option I should go and what dac/streamer would you recommend for what I need? Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
After trying Tidal for a few weeks I sold my CD-player (audioaero prima) and now start to think which source to get for Tidal streaming and dsd/flac playback.
I own a fairly old HIFI system with a pair of B&W 804S driven by Krell integrated amp, the setup is probably not as good as today so I assume I don't need a hi-end source to match it. On my rack I also have a computer (Lenovo Thinkpad) as HTPC for movies, so I have 2 options:
1) Use the laptop as transport and add a USB DAC. Looks like the cheapest solution but I'm not sure a regular laptop with no power cleaner and usb isolation can provide good SQ, and hence option 2) Find a streamer with DAC, connect directly to the stereo amp - this would simplify the setup and potentially provides more features such as airplay and bluetooth, however I find the ones support MQA has very high price tags.
My max budget is 1500euros and what I'd like:
1) HIFI sound quality at least matches my old CD player I hope - and I listen to classical, jazz, pop mainly
2) DSD and MQA support - which rules out the chord DACs (I was very interested in HUGO 2 initially due to its size and portabiliy)
3) XLR line-out to my integrated amp
4) I'm thinking to get HD650 so it'll be a plus if the DAC/Streamer comes with amp powerful enough for hd650.
5) For a streamer airplay support would be a big plus

Please help which option I should go and what dac/streamer would you recommend for what I need? Thanks

If the laptop is sufficiently close to where the DAC will be, the slightly updated V2 of this will sort you via USB- no problems. The headphone is sufficient for the 650s but you could add this for £120 ish https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-l30-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/ if you need a little more power.

The above set up with a Raspberry Pi 4 configured as a streamer via USB to the M500 would work no probs. M500 does full MQA decoding.

OR- I heartily recommend the Cambridge CXNv2 streamer/ DAC. Has all the inputs and outputs you need, looks fine, built in Tidal (not Mqa internally, but could connect via USB from Tidal app on PC for that) or acts as a nice fully controlable Roon Ready endpoint.

OP
S

somy

If the laptop is sufficiently close to where the DAC will be, the slightly updated V2 of this will sort you via USB- no problems. The headphone is sufficient for the 650s but you could add this for £120 ish https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-l30-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/ if you need a little more power.

The above set up with a Raspberry Pi 4 configured as a streamer via USB to the M500 would work no probs. M500 does full MQA decoding.

OR- I heartily recommend the Cambridge CXNv2 streamer/ DAC. Has all the inputs and outputs you need, looks fine, built in Tidal (not Mqa internally, but could connect via USB from Tidal app on PC for that) or acts as a nice fully controlable Roon Ready endpoint.

Thanks for the reply! My laptop is on the rack so very close to the DAC, "The slightly updated V2 of this" do you mean SMSL M500 DAC V2? I read the review yesterday and it indeed looks very interesting, do I need to improve power supply and usb isolation for my laptop?
Cambridge CXNv2 was on my list but I found they're only in dark grey which is not going to match the "traditional" black/silver colours I have on the rack :-(

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply! My laptop is on the rack so very close to the DAC, "The slightly updated V2 of this" do you mean SMSL M500 DAC V2? I read the review yesterday and it indeed looks very interesting, do I need to improve power supply and usb isolation for my laptop?

Yes, the V2 (though I dont believe retailers would label as V2 as its a slight hardware and software revision, not a "new" model. No and No to upgrading power or USB.

Cambridge CXNv2 was on my list but I found they're only in dark grey which is not going to match the "traditional" black/silver colours I have on the rack :-(

odd- mine (though 2 yrs old) is "light" silver - I knew they did a dark but didnt know if black or charcoal.

Ive misquoted- but answers above!

OP
S

somy

Ive misquoted- but answers above!
Thanks! Newer CNX V2 are all in dark grey inspired by Apple space grey I guess. Personally I don't like it, I much prefer silver :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Newer CNX V2 are all in dark grey inspired by Apple space grey I guess. Personally I don't like it, I much prefer silver :)

Shame- it would hit all of your criteria bar MQA (you wont find much MQA love round these parts I'm afraid- dont go there)

EDIT- also realised I didnt paste the link to the m500 review in first post- but you got there!

OP
S

somy

I did some research on how to use RPI as streamer, but looks to me that neither moode nor volumio has good support for TIDAL mqa. Moode doesn't support Tidal natively and Volumio doesn't do first unfold of mqa. I'd like a streamer that I can easily control from my iPhone to playback music files stored on NAS and Tidal. Does such software solution exist on RPI platform?

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
I did some research on how to use RPI as streamer, but looks to me that neither moode nor volumio has good support for TIDAL mqa. Moode doesn't support Tidal natively and Volumio doesn't do first unfold of mqa. I'd like a streamer that I can easily control from my iPhone to playback music files stored on NAS and Tidal. Does such software solution exist on RPI platform?

I dont't want to, like hijack you conversation, but I have a working setup like this with roon.I am using the Ropieee distro image for the Pi. And it works great!
Only "problem" is, you would have to be ok with another subscription for roon, parallel to tidal. But you can test it for 14 days free. If you are lucky, some youtubers have 30 day test links under their videos about roon. As most users say, It is worth it. If you have the money to spare.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Roon might be a good solution. You can run it on your laptop and control on IPhone or IPad.

Roon running Tidal and local library > your choice USB DAC > Krell > B&W

OP
S

somy

I dont't want to, like hijack you conversation, but I have a working setup like this with roon.I am using the Ropieee distro image for the Pi. And it works great!
Only "problem" is, you would have to be ok with another subscription for roon, parallel to tidal. But you can test it for 14 days free. If you are lucky, some youtubers have 30 day test links under their videos about roon. As most users say, It is worth it. If you have the money to spare.
Thanks for the hint, I heard many good things about Roon but I think the permanent license cost is way to high (now 699usd) plus my nas is too weak to host Roon core so I need another dedicated pc anyways...

OP
S

somy

I appreciate the good value of M500, but for the seek of convenience any suggestion of a good streamer with nice built-in dac?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The problem I think you'll have is the full mqa support.
Have you considered trying out Qobuz before committing to new equipment? I'm not sure if its available in your location.

I tried both Tidal and Qobuz but went for the latter. This was partly because its cheaper than Tidal here in the UK, but also it allows for greater flexibility when setting up a system. The back catalogue on Qobuz isn't as comprehensive as Tidal, but I can live with that.

Once you go for a proprietary element like MQA then you limit yourself to what's available (hence the mention of Roon - comprehensive but expensive).

OP
S

somy

OP
S

somy

Have you considered trying out Qobuz before committing to new equipment? I'm not sure if its available in your location.

I tried both Tidal and Qobuz but went for the latter. This was partly because its cheaper than Tidal here in the UK, but also it allows for greater flexibility when setting up a system. The back catalogue on Qobuz isn't as comprehensive as Tidal, but I can live with that.

Once you go for a proprietary element like MQA then you limit yourself to what's available (hence the mention of Roon - comprehensive but expensive).
I also prefer Qobuz but the service is not available in my country at the moment :-(
Thanks fro the reply anyways!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This looks interesting! I googled the company and find they also have models "Element M" and "Mini-i 3 pro" support MQA.
Guess I will wait for the review of Mini-i 3 pro before pulling the buy trigger ;-)

I was half eyeing it up too. Amir has reviewed a few of theirs here- excellent kit.

What I'm not sure of is comparing the i to the mini- Im not sure why both product lines exist. Cant be that much smaller, price not much different. The M and upwards are too rich for my blood but as I no longer need MQA, the mini 3 pro might be the thing I save for next!

Perhaps @MatrixAudio could enlighten us on the respective purposes/ audiences for the sub $1000 element/ mini product lines? Purely a size thing or is there some major functional differences / purposes?

OP
S

somy

I was half eyeing it up too. Amir has reviewed a few of theirs here- excellent kit.

What I'm not sure of is comparing the i to the mini- Im not sure why both product lines exist. Cant be that much smaller, price not much different. The M and upwards are too rich for my blood but as I no longer need MQA, the mini 3 pro might be the thing I save for next!

Perhaps @MatrixAudio could enlighten us on the respective purposes/ audiences for the sub $1000 element/ mini product lines? Purely a size thing or is there some major functional differences / purposes?

in terms of features they're different. They use different DAC chips and processing power is lower in mini. See the attached chart :)

Attachments

• ELEMENT SERIES VS MINI-I PRO 3.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 122

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
in terms of features they're different. They use different DAC chips and processing power is lower in mini. See the attached chart :)

Ah, element is a higher tier. Regardless, pennies need saving so this generation of product is probably not for me .

OP
S

somy

Ah, element is a higher tier. Regardless, pennies need saving so this generation of product is probably not for me .
I think mini looks interesting, also support BT and airplay. ES9038Q2 is probably not as good as pro but I can live with that. Only two concerns are 1) weak cpu single core 2) ugly space grey

Top Bottom