• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I add a DAC for Node2i + Parasound A21 + KEF LS50 setup?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have the following setup in a small 10.5 ft x 10.5 ft room:

Node2i (streaming Tidal CD and master quality music) variable RCA out to Parasound A21 to KEF LS50.

It is very good. But I am wondering if I would get even better sound stage and details using a better measured DAC between the Node2i and the Parasound amp.

Anyone compared Node2i variable RCA out quality vs using Node2i coaxial out to a DAC?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Have you seen Amir's review? The Node 2i performs very well when digital audio is streamed to it. It does not perform well if you connect another digital source to it via toslink

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

So if you are just streaming to it, I wouldn't buy an external DAC.
Yes, just streaming to it.

As is, the setup sounds very good. Very clean with plenty of good punch. I am surprised at how good it handles those low bass notes of Billie Ellish's songs. Just curious if I can hear any improvements using a better measured DAC.

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd think more about better speakers (or maybe just positioning) than a dac if you want improvement in soundstage....

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I'd think more about better speakers (or maybe just positioning) than a dac if you want improvement in soundstage....
I was researching DAC for headphones setup and I keep reading people can hear differences between DAC, like one have better stage than the other.

I tried 3 different receiver/amps with LS50 and can sense a difference between all 3. So far I like the Parasound a21 the best. It is the least harsh when go loud and can control the low bass the best.

I wonder using something like smsl su 9 might further help with soundstage.

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you seen Amir's review? The Node 2i performs very well when digital audio is streamed to it. It does not perform well if you connect another digital source to it via toslink

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

So if you are just streaming to it, I wouldn't buy an external DAC.

Unless I missed an update, the headline review shows it performs badly from toslink and less badly from Roon streamed to it. But 88 SINAD aint £400 plus of performance- or even close.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Unless I missed an update, the headline review shows it performs badly from toslink and less badly from Roon streamed to it. But 88 SINAD aint £400 plus of performance- or even close.
I wonder better SINAD can be audible or not with my setup. Also, since I am using variable RCA out, at 50% of volume out, would the SINAD of node2i improve? Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder better SINAD can be audible or not with my setup. Also, since I am using variable RCA out, at 50% of volume out, would the SINAD of node2i improve? Thanks!

Realistically- probably not, especially if using at reduced outputs. You have the Node anyway so may as well use it. If the curiosity gets the better of you and you can return a DAC no questions asked, a Topping E30 might be worth trialling.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Realistically- probably not, especially if using at reduced outputs. You have the Node anyway so may as well use it. If the curiosity gets the better of you and you can return a DAC no questions asked, a Topping E30 might be worth trialling.
Thanks! I think one place have 30 days satisfaction return policy. I may give E30 a try. How about something with xlr out? Parasound A21 can do xlr too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I think one place have 30 days satisfaction return policy. I may give E30 a try. How about something with xlr out? Parasound A21 can do xlr too.

Schiit Modius- again if you can get no quibble and easy return- but beware, it hasnt got variable volume- full 4v output of XLR- not sure if the digital out of the Node is variable.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

He already owns it, so price is not relevant.

I think 88 SINAD in a room is fine once you take noise for the room into account.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He already owns it, so price is not relevant.

I think 88 SINAD in a room is fine once you take noise for the room into account.
Yeah- realised after I posted that one.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Schiit Modius- again if you can get no quibble and easy return- but beware, it hasnt got variable volume- full 4v output of XLR- not sure if the digital out of the Node is variable.
Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was researching DAC for headphones setup and I keep reading people can hear differences between DAC, like one have better stage than the other.

I tried 3 different receiver/amps with LS50 and can sense a difference between all 3. So far I like the Parasound a21 the best. It is the least harsh when go loud and can control the low bass the best.

I wonder using something like smsl su 9 might further help with soundstage.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by soundstage but it's much more about what's baked into the recording and how your speakers/room reproduce it. Not the electronics (at least not without dsp). I'd spend more time on the speakers and acoustics in any case, far more likely to yield actual results rather than plugging in various electronics and trying to determine differences without a proper comparison....

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Not sure what you mean by soundstage but it's much more about what's baked into the recording and how your speakers/room reproduce it. Not the electronics (at least not without dsp). I'd spend more time on the speakers and acoustics in any case, far more likely to yield actual results rather than plugging in various electronics and trying to determine differences without a proper comparison....
Good advice. Thanks!

Top Bottom