• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should frequency dependant stereo correlation analysis be a metric in reviews of DACs?

Ooidal

Seemingly every subjective review of DACs (or amps for that matter) harp on about soundstage. Stereo width or correlation is measurable using freely available analysers like voxengo span or paid like Nugen audio, which has the advantage of showing frequency dependant width. If width/correlation is effected it should be measurable. The original sound file could be dragged into any digital audio workstation (DAW) then it could be put through a DAC and re-recorded back into a DAW. A comparison could be made using a tool like nugen. Has anyone done this? Could it be a useful metric?

I use these for production and am curious if any difference would be visible in hardware. I am guessing it would show no difference but it could be used to confirm there is nothing happening or...something happening. If nothing is happening that would be good. If it measured lower that would be bad and either indicate poor implementation. If it measured higher it might indicate DSP shenanigans being implemented to make something sound wider than originally intended.

This is my first post and admittedly probably I am barking up the wrong tree, posting in the wrong part of the forum , and butchering terminology. Perhaps this is already included in some way in measurements provided on this forum. I am not an expert in any regard so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Below is a video of the kind of correlation analyser I am thinking of. Skip to 4:20 if you want to get straight to the device.

Top Bottom