• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shield SMSL SU-1 Powersupply (Nvidia Shield?)

KnutIvars

Planing to use the SMSL SU-1 as a DAC and Nvidia Shield PRO as a streaming device. The SU-1 is powered through USB, so it will be getting its power from the Shield. In order to perform great, I understand any DAC needs a good powersupply..., and I wonder;
1. Do anyone know if the 5V output of the Nvidia Shield USB is "clean enough"?
2. If no; Is there any way to supply the SU-1 with a better powersupply? (split the usb into (+5/gnd) & (data) - letting the data be connected into the shield, while +5/gnd is connected to a higher quality PSU?)
Any thoughts on this?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My thought is that any decent DAC should be fine with the USB power from the Shield.

The Shield is a great streamer by the way.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think there's two ways people are using this...

1. run it off a pc... then your dac is taking power from an avg, usb socket

2. run it off a phone charger... the SU-1 can use any 1a psu... and so just use any good quality phone charger... i've been using the old iphone 1a chargers that are effectively useless now

but in the case you obviously fall back onto coax or optical which isnt ideal in 2023

Zek

Major Contributor
Is there any way to supply the SU-1 with a better powersupply? (split the usb into (+5/gnd) & (data)
There is something like this...

USB C:C Y-splitter.jpg

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a full set of tests on USB chargers a guy measured here if you want to see the cleanest source. I use the Samsung ETA0U60JBE which are 5V 700ma and enough for any DAC I've measured with a USB power meter when it's in use with both outputs going.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes, I was thinking about something like this. Many of the "Y-adapters" are created in order to draw power from two ports to power a harddrive, but I guess they can be modified
That particular splitter need not be modified as it contains no VBUS connection between USB Host and Slave, right out of the box.

Therefore, no current can be drawn from the USB host and all power has to be supplied externally.

That being said, I think an external power supply would not achieve anything with the SU-1.

Zek

Major Contributor
I think an external power supply would not achieve anything with the SU-1.
Do you think that nothing significant would be improved with an external power supply for the Topping E30 II Lite DAC?
Does the Topping E30 II Lite DAC require an external power supply if using a USB connection?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you think that nothing significant would be improved with an external power supply for the Topping E30 II Lite DAC?
I do
Does the Topping E30 II Lite DAC require an external power supply if using a USB connection?
It does not.
The DC barrel jack is for when you're using the DAC with Toslink or Coax input.
Plugged into a PC via USB, no additional power supply is required.

Reactions: Zek
OP
K

KnutIvars

Just a quick comment; I just received the DAC. Connected it to the shield, and the Shield automaticly switched audio to the DAC. When turning off the DAC, the Shield automaticly switched back to HDMI audio. Brilliant!! I was afraid I had to go into settings every time to tell the Sheild to stfu over USB and use the HDMI ffs, .... so this was awesome! That makes it really easy to listen to this setup, and go back to "family friendly streaming device".

Now I just has to check how to set ut the receiver in order to play without any interference..... Even in "pure direct", it did output signals to the subwoofer. I was expecting it not to.... (Marantz SR7013) I'm guessing there's some setting still having fun with the signals instead of just passing them on to the amps.

I'm looking forward to enjoy more music in the days to come.

Ibanez

Just remember that Shiled does not play bitperffect over USB, only passthrough on HDMI what i know. 44.1/24 44.1/16 will alway be resampled to 48khz over USB, and the resampling is really bad. The clonky solution to use USB Audio Player Pro is not really that easy on Shield neither always. I also wanted to use my 2015 shiled that way but had given up that idea because of the bad Android resamplig to 48khz.

OP
K

KnutIvars

Just remember that Shiled does not play bitperffect over USB, only passthrough on HDMI what i know. 44.1/24 44.1/16 will alway be resampled to 48khz over USB, and the resampling is really bad. The clonky solution to use USB Audio Player Pro is not really that easy on Shield neither always. I also wanted to use my 2015 shiled that way but had given up that idea because of the bad Android resamplig to 48khz.
Even if you turn off "dolby audio processing" or whatever it was called? I remember it did output 48khz for everything, even when playing high-res from tidal (over hdmi) in the start, but after I turned it off, I got TrueHD Atmos on the movies and highres over hdmi. Do it still crap out over usb? I don't have a DAC which display the samplingrate so I cannot confirm either claim atm. Thx for sharing.
I'm now wondering how I can confirm or debunk it...

Ibanez

Even if you turn off "dolby audio processing" or whatever it was called? I remember it did output 48khz for everything, even when playing high-res from tidal (over hdmi) in the start, but after I turned it off, I got TrueHD Atmos on the movies and highres over hdmi. Do it still crap out over usb? I don't have a DAC which display the samplingrate so I cannot confirm either claim atm. Thx for sharing.
I'm now wondering how I can confirm or debunk it...
Yes it still resamples, they have not fixed audio passthrough over USB as of what i know. Nvidia's Shield forum is pretty active i believe. But i don't have high hopes for Nvidia to fix that when not so many seem to beg for it to happen, when not even the newer Shields have that feature.

TNT

I have evaluated subjective SQ using:

1) IKEA usb wall-blob (5€)
2) IKEA usb wall-blob + LT3045 stab (on the verge of drop out....)
3) IKEA powerbank
4) Meanwell smps + RCRC filter + filter + LT3045 stab

I found the differences quite big. I preferred them as (first best): 4,3,1,2

It seems it pays off to cater for real good power feeding.

I use toslink for audio so in my bild 4) only power conductor where used.

//

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have evaluated subjective SQ using:

1) IKEA usb wall-blob (5€)
2) IKEA usb wall-blob + LT3045 stab (on the verge of drop out....)
3) IKEA powerbank
4) Meanwell smps + RCRC filter + filter + LT3045 stab

I found the differences quite big. I preferred them as (first best): 4,3,1,2

It seems it pays off to cater for real good power feeding.

I use toslink for audio so in my bild 4) only power conductor where used.

//
Amir's measurements of the SU-1 were done with with a very dirty PC motherboard as power source and show perfect performance anyway.

You may well have heard differences in power supplies, but unless you did a blind comparison, they were probably just in your head.

TNT

Could be - just reported what I experienced. That the test by amir was done with a dirty PC is not a really an argument - maybe the bench performance would have been even better with really clean power? I'm totally for measurements and would never buy anything that doesn't measure really well - but are we really sure we know everything about SQ vs. measurement relations?

//

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have evaluated subjective SQ using
Worthless if uncontrolled. ;)
but are we really sure we know everything about SQ vs. measurement relations?
Please don't go that road. Or post your thoughts there :

Last edited:

Drengur

Forum Donor
The Shield is in fact a very good device for most things. However, for those of us that are neurotic and want the audio sent to the DAC without any processing, it does up/downsample. I do not hear any difference (don't tell the audiophile priests, they will take away my certificate), but it bugs me a bit (a bit, get it?)

See this thread for more info: Shield up- and downsamples before sending the audio out via USB.

The power delivery of the USB port is enough to drive some small components, I've used it to power a small console, but am unsure of the specs.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, for those of us that are neurotic and want the audio sent to the DAC without any processing, it does up/downsample.
Like Windows does. Shield can be used with UAPP, and everything goes bitperfect.

Top Bottom