• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Vitt

Ok, thanks. This is the only thing I found for your controller that may help you, as your problem isn't unique for it
Thanks. Exploring this path, I found a whole bunch of people with problems when I googled "ALC1200 optical driver", but many of them seem to be 5.1 surround related which is not that relevant.

I'll get a new toslink cable before trying any more of this driver BS, as windows11 loves to immediately reinstall drivers that I've uninstalled.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. Exploring this path, I found a whole bunch of people with problems when I googled "ALC1200 optical driver", but many of them seem to be 5.1 surround related which is not that relevant.

I'll get a new toslink cable before trying any more of this driver BS, as windows11 loves to immediately reinstall drivers that I've uninstalled.
Have you used USB yet, I'm sure it works, or I'd at least hope so.. :)

David_M

Yes, USB works fine. But I have spent many hours with much headache and $5 trying to get this optical cable to work, so the only logical thing to do is to waste even more time on it.
:)I know that feeling!

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, USB works fine. But I have spent many hours with much headache and $5 trying to get this optical cable to work, so the only logical thing to do is to waste even more time on it.
Just for giggles delete the topping driver/software but don't reinstall and try it.

Cincyret

I've had problems with the Toslink port also. Wiim> EX5 (Headphones) or > MiniDSP Flex (speakers). I tried Coax with a splitter to both, but EX5 didn't like it (sometimes). The problem with the my EX5 Toslink port is the plug keeps falling out. I've finally gotten it (Toslink) to work...fingers crossed. Have you tried all the input selections on the EX5?

t$$

I have my EX5 working with TOSLINK from a recent Asus motherboard and have gotten 24 bit / 96khz working.

Getting a new cable is a good idea, they are cheap and it will eliminate one source of failure.

Troubleshooting steps:
1. If you haven't already tried this, set 2 channel PCM at 16 bit with 44.1 or 48 khz sampling rate, don't try anything else until you get the basics working.
2. Make sure the cable ends are aligned correctly and FULLY seated in the sockets, sometimes the optical cable will falsely seem to be in but will still be 1-2mm out, usually the socket will have a soft click first and then a firmer second click before bottoming out.
3. Once you get CD quality audio working, then try higher bit depths and sampling rates.

You should be able to get 24bit / 96Khz but anything above that is out of spec. Though 96khz should be supported, I have encountered issues with using it before on some DACs. 32bit or 192khz will not work.

I'm able to play 96kHz and 192kHz via TOSLINK, coax SPDIF, and USB using my Squeezebox Touch and PC.

Vitt

Top Bottom