• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I might get a remote power switch, but was kind of too lazy so far :)

Would you kindly contribute to this thread:

Many thanks.

respice finem

Major Contributor
You may be correct, but the Silver version is available to add to cart:

I have this unit and use it as my nightstand dac/amp connected to a squeezebox touch.
Both versions also still available @Amazon .de, but not .pl. They are probably just selling off the remaining ones. From a marketing point of view early EOL may be the right thing to do, because many people will always want "the latest". I have developed the opposite "tactic", and like to buy stuff that is "ripe", which is usually shortly before its EOL. Last but not least, it's even cheaper then in many cases.

Both versions also still available @Amazon .de, but not .pl. They are probably just selling off the remaining ones. From a marketing point of view early EOL may be the right thing to do, because many people will always want "the latest". I have developed the opposite "tactic", and like to buy stuff that is "ripe", which is usually shortly before its EOL. Last but not least, it's even cheaper then in many cases.
I'm the same way with cars and other things as well. I'd rather have the best final version of a generation to (hopefully) have most of the issues resolved...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is speculation on my part, but the EX5 appears to have been discontinued.

It no longer shows up in the product list at Topping's website and on Shenzhenaudio's website the Black is listed as sold out.

The EX5 was designed to ShenzhenAudio's specification, so it was never really part of Topping's own line up. The DX5 was released after the EX5 and filled the same niche. Given that the 'Lite' non-MQA version of the DX5 is the same price as the EX5 and performs a little better, there's not a lot of point continuing the EX5. I would certainly buy the DX5 over the EX5 today, even though I prefer the look of the EX5.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Still loving my EX5.

I like the look of a stack, but I also love not having so many leads.

If one were to replace an EX5 with a Topping HP Amp and DAC, same standard, how much would that cost? Which models would it be?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still loving my EX5.

I like the look of a stack, but I also love not having so many leads.

If one were to replace an EX5 with a Topping HP Amp and DAC, same standard, how much would that cost? Which models would it be?

Topping E50/L50 @ $380 + cables so pretty much the same as the DX5. I think the E50/L50 combo would measure better and provide more power than the DX5, i'd still go for the DX5 Lite personally.

Marck Marckus

Hi, I'm new here and today I recieved my Topping EX5. Because I only use this device as a DAC for my stereo-equipment (iMac to Revox amplifier) I'd like to disable the volume control. I cannot find how to achieve this in the manual. Is it possible?

tia Marc.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm new here and today I recieved my Topping EX5. Because I only use this device as a DAC for my stereo-equipment (iMac to Revox amplifier) I'd like to disable the volume control. I cannot find how to achieve this in the manual. Is it possible?

tia Marc.

There is no fixed output mode on the EX5. I believe the DX5 does have this feature.

respice finem

Major Contributor

tia Marc.
AFAIK it's only possible by turning the volume knob to "100" (digital volume control). Or, if it's (possibly) too loud compared to the other components attached to the Revox, increase the volume gradually to match the others.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

tia Marc.

I don’t believe that’s possible.

However, if your Revox has a pre-amp in, you could just plug it straight into that.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tia Marc.
From Shenzen Q&A

JJose A. - Verified Buyer

Nov 29, 2021
Hello, this unit can be configured as pure dac .... and it is still not entirely clear to me I have already read several times that they have asked this question ... because it does not come in the manual

SSHENZHENAUDIO
Nov 30, 2021
Hi there, EX5 does not have a pure DAC mode setting, you need to manually adjust the volume to the maximum”

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep I have the EX5 out now and a DX5, you just have to turn the volume all the way up on the EX5 for "DAC mode". I got this unit from Hificollege, and they confirmed it was discontinued (probably due to redundancy). Sounds great on the Hifiman HE5xx though. I just wish Topping would put their serial number stickers on the bottom of the units instead of the right side. They went to a tiny silk screened one now, but stamping the bottom would make it clean looking.
I'm sure all these places retooled their production lines around MQA chips and can't get them back to normal fast enough. How they got fooled into integrating them in so many chips is beyond me. They must have had top people look at what the processing does (and doesn't do) before getting behind it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure all these places retooled their production lines around MQA chips and can't get them back to normal fast enough. How they got fooled into integrating them in so many chips is beyond me. They must have had top people look at what the processing does (and doesn't do) before getting behind it.
It's actually simpler than that: consumer expectations and demand.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yep I have the EX5 out now and a DX5, you just have to turn the volume all the way up on the EX5 for "DAC mode". I got this unit from Hificollege, and they confirmed it was discontinued (probably due to redundancy). Sounds great on the Hifiman HE5xx though. I just wish Topping would put their serial number stickers on the bottom of the units instead of the right side. They went to a tiny silk screened one now, but stamping the bottom would make it clean looking.
I don't think that anybody seriously retooled their production lines around MQA, except for maybe when it first launched, but other than that, most companies simply just included DACs in their products, which could do MQA, and it was as simple as including the software on the X-MOS side.

Top Bottom