• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
True, but at that price you usually get automatic correction using Dirac or a similar system. If you just take the functionality of the miniDSP 2x4 and mate it with a GOOD DAC, as opposed to the mediocre one in the miniDSP 2x4 HD, that would be enough for me. The miniDSP 2x4 costs $120 and there is a German made one from t.racks that I believe is very similar and costs about $90. There are good quality DACs with balanced outputs and volume controls (both important to me but not essential) for $200 - $250. Therefore, producing and selling a device such as I described for $300 - $350 should be feasible. I just don't know if there is a big enough market for it.
I may have made an error. I had been accrediting the miniDSP 2x4 HD's mediocre performance solely to the DAC, because that is the what Amir evaluated it as. However, I have realized that it is likely that some of the performance issues actually came from the DSP circuitry, and would also carry over to the DAC-less 2x4. Therefore, it may or may not be possible to produce a high quality DAC + DSP combination for $350, as I had stated. Plus, as @JohnYang1997 and others have alluded to in this thread, Topping is a much larger company than miniDSP and would be more likely to release a unit that had good, user friendly software for configuring the DSP. That is not an easy thing to do or support, so even $500 might be optimistic. I still wish someone would produce a good quality DAC with the minDSP 2x4 functionality built in, and nothing else, but I don't think Topping is likely to be the one to do it.

Walter

It's not. I am not even sure which is larger.
Wow, that is a surprise, but you would certainly be the authority on that. I guess I made yet another incorrect assumption. Can't let that become a habit!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have made an error. I had been accrediting the miniDSP 2x4 HD's mediocre performance solely to the DAC, because that is the what Amir evaluated it as. However, I have realized that it is likely that some of the performance issues actually came from the DSP circuitry, and would also carry over to the DAC-less 2x4. Therefore, it may or may not be possible to produce a high quality DAC + DSP combination for $350, as I had stated. Plus, as @JohnYang1997 and others have alluded to in this thread, Topping is a much larger company than miniDSP and would be more likely to release a unit that had good, user friendly software for configuring the DSP. That is not an easy thing to do or support, so even $500 might be optimistic. I still wish someone would produce a good quality DAC with the minDSP 2x4 functionality built in, and nothing else, but I don't think Topping is likely to be the one to do it.

The analog performance of the 2X4HD is completely dominated by the AK4626 DAC it uses. It is not very consumer friendly but if you bypass the 2X4HD by using the I2S output it is completely transparent (130+ dB SINAD). The 2X4 and 2X4HD are very different, the 2X4HD uses a much more powerful SHARC 21489 DSP and the 2X4 uses a ADAU 1701 (IIRC it also uses this as a DAC). There is no "DAC-less" version of the 2X4 unless you use the I2S outputs and I imagine the digital performance is a bit worse than the 2X4HD when doing that (but probably still transparent).

If you want to avoid a DAC the nanoDIGI is probably the way to go. It has a ADAU 1445 DSP and 8 channels of SPDIF output. Digital performance is a bit worse than the 2X4HD with I2S outputs (110+ dB SINAD) but is much more consumer friendly. The nanoDIGI at $170 plus two decent $100 DACs would be around 15+ dB SINAD better than a stock 2X4HD for under $400. To me the more powerful DSP, less boxes and lower cost of a 2X4HD outweigh the SINAD improvement of using the nanoDIGI if you only need 4 channels of output. The 2X4HD SINAD is a ~95 dB and quite respectable.

Michael

Walter

Thanks @mdsimon2. I think I've been wrong in just about every post I've made on this thread--not to mention taking it far off topic--so I think I'll quit while I'm behind. I had read a post on another forum that said, or possibly just implied, the miniDSP 2x4 HD was a miniDSP 2x4 with a DAC added. Either the poster was wrong, or he meant to say that it was an upgraded DAC and just phrased it poorly. Having had this preconception, when i went to the miniDSP website I completely overlooked where is stated "24 bit ADC/DAC resolution."

I would prefer something with 110+ DB SINAD, but to be realistic, with my hearing and the equipment I would pair this with, I probably couldn't hear the difference. For those who have mentioned software solutions, I run Linux but occasionally boot into Windows. While there are Linux solutions available, from what I have read they are not particularly user friendly in comparison to EqualizerAPO, plus I would have to configure both. Not an insurmountable task, but offloading it to a downstream device would be even easier.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The analog performance of the 2X4HD is completely dominated by the AK4626 DAC it uses. It is not very consumer friendly but if you bypass the 2X4HD by using the I2S output it is completely transparent (130+ dB SINAD). The 2X4 and 2X4HD are very different, the 2X4HD uses a much more powerful SHARC 21489 DSP and the 2X4 uses a ADAU 1701 (IIRC it also uses this as a DAC). There is no "DAC-less" version of the 2X4 unless you use the I2S outputs and I imagine the digital performance is a bit worse than the 2X4HD when doing that (but probably still transparent).

If you want to avoid a DAC the nanoDIGI is probably the way to go. It has a ADAU 1445 DSP and 8 channels of SPDIF output. Digital performance is a bit worse than the 2X4HD with I2S outputs (110+ dB SINAD) but is much more consumer friendly. The nanoDIGI at $170 plus two decent $100 DACs would be around 15+ dB SINAD better than a stock 2X4HD for under $400. To me the more powerful DSP, less boxes and lower cost of a 2X4HD outweigh the SINAD improvement of using the nanoDIGI if you only need 4 channels of output. The 2X4HD SINAD is a ~95 dB and quite respectable.

Michael
I have 2x4HD and I don't like using it between my DAC and stereo amp (using the analog paths). Once I heard Gustard x16 going direct to amp, I know what I want.

I really wish Topping will come up with a solution better than the minidsp SHD and with lower price.
: )

I already bought Topping E30, L30, and D30Pro. I will be Topping customer again if Topping comes out with SHD like device.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
(From my own point of view I'd be happy with somekind of compatibility with EqualiserAPO, in terms of somehow config style text files could be loaded into the DAC when connected one time to a PC. 20 bands would be good, 10 would be acceptable. There could be quite a high skill & knowledge level associated with such an implementation, but at least it would mean that only people who know what they are doing could risk mucking it up. How you communicate & market that feature when it's only accessible to knowledgeable enthusiasts I'm not sure - beta/unnofficially supported feature perhaps, might not be long term solution.)
Exactly, I just want a tiny utility hardware appliance that replicates basic software digital EQ without having to babysit another Raspberry Pi IOT device. Uploading configuration changes over USB via a local self-contained portable app would be perfect.

It is not very consumer friendly but if you bypass the 2X4HD by using the I2S output it is completely transparent (130+ dB SINAD).
Is this process difficult? Are you saying this is a way to use the 2X4HD for digital EQ without conversion?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, I just want a tiny utility hardware appliance that replicates basic software digital EQ without having to babysit another Raspberry Pi IOT device. Uploading configuration changes over USB via a local self-contained portable app would be perfect.
Cool, I was just thinking how they could "easily" apply PEQ in their device without being troubled by noobies jamming up their phone lines, because the option would only be exposed to experts due to the nature of the interface combined with the beta status. I currently don't have a use for such a device as I use EqualiserAPO on my laptop & desktop PC for music listening and a miniDSP 2x4 for my TV (analogue to analogue) through my JBL 308p speakers, but it's good to see that there are people out there who could really benefit from a standalone DAC/PEQ solution, there's certainly somekind of market for it.

EDIT: I imagine the mobile DAC / phone music listening crowd could benefit as a bigger slice as system wide PEQ on mobile phones is apparently less common.....but conversely the mobile phone listening music crowd might be the most inept when it comes to geeking out with complicated PEQ and the complicated enthusiast "config text file" interface I suggested.

Last edited:

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Is this process difficult? Are you saying this is a way to use the 2X4HD for digital EQ without conversion?
To say it is not consumer friendly is an understatement. If you don't instantly know what he means, you don't want to try. As @mdsimon2 says above, the nanoDigi is the right answer. It is cheaper as well. I use a 2X4HD for bass management driving 4 subs. I would not use it for much else.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To say it is not consumer friendly is an understatement. If you don't instantly know what he means, you don't want to try. As @mdsimon2 says above, the nanoDigi is the right answer. It is cheaper as well. I use a 2X4HD for bass management driving 4 subs. I would not use it for much else.
Ha, miniDSP, I had to research the hell out of that for the miniDSP 2x4 (nonHD version) I purchased about a year ago when I was a bit of a noob, and that was even before I purchased it, as the first hurdle was to work out what plug-in I needed to purchase with it! I had to learn a lot surrounding the whole PEQ topic before & during to implement it sucessfully, along with how it marries with REW. Certainly worthwhile doing, but I would describe it as a major barrier to entry for undetermined newbies! Hell, it's a complicated topic in a somewhat currently niche market afterall! But, it shouldn't be niche as the benefits of PEQ for all things audio are a blessing....but people will always want one button push solutions, and I suppose that's where DIRAC and other ready-made EQ solutions come in. The challenge is do you make EQ accessible for everyone or do you cater for the niche markets.......or can you target both.

adamjohari

is there going to be an update to the Topping DX7 Pro? like an EX7 Pro? Cause I already got a Topping D10s. Wouldn't want to make a small upgrade. Currently have a Topping D10s + THX 789.

Kotrmelec

What features are remote control exclusive in this?
1624970278040.png

Top Bottom