• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Addy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021_0630_075826.jpg
    Screenshot_2021_0630_075826.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

mj23pj

Hey,

Love the site, and much respect to Amirm. Does the display show the sample rate and bit depth?

thanks

Urushi

Would this be better than an L30 + E30? And would it be better than Rupert Neves RNHP + SMSL SU-8?

MNMLSM

I will wait until it's available as an Amazon Prime Order on Amazon.de. Also the price was translated 1:1 in Euros, it's 350€, which is kind of more expensive than I expected.
But still thanks for the link, it's weird that the device can't be found with the normal search function.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Would this be better than an L30 + E30? And would it be better than Rupert Neves RNHP + SMSL SU-8?
Yes, this would be better than either combo.

I will wait until it's available as an Amazon Prime Order on Amazon.de. Also the price was translated 1:1 in Euros, it's 350€, which is kind of more expensive than I expected.
But still thanks for the link, it's weird that the device can't be found with the normal search function.

Take the USD price, divide by 1.19 to get Euros, multiply by 1.2 for VAT... should get about 99 US cents worth of stuff for a Euro... gets you pretty close to 350. I suppose it should be more like 353 Euros though. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
@Helicopter
Don't know what's your problem, simply wrote that I expected it to be cheaper in EU, I know about the taxes, wasn't a complaint.
This thing is $349.99 and a dollar in the US gets you slightly more than a Euro buys in Europe. I just didn't understand why you thought something that is $349.99 here would be less than 350 Euro there.

MNMLSM

This thing is $349.99 and a dollar in the US gets you slightly more than a Euro buys in Europe. I just didn't understand why you thought something that is $349.99 here would be less than 350 Euro there.

Everything fine, I will buy the device most likely in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to read some impressions of the first owners.

Last edited:

John Frink

Volume is done in digital.
Works as preamp just fine. But won't be as good as D30pro.

Could you say a bit more about this?

I have a an SMSL DA-9 on my desktop and would like a balanced dac to feed it. I'm weighing an EX-5 vs D30Pro. Would I really be missing anything by skipping the D30pro? Does the convenience of this Dac/Amp make up for it?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Could you say a bit more about this?

I have a an SMSL DA-9 on my desktop and would like a balanced dac to feed it. I'm weighing an EX-5 vs D30Pro. Would I really be missing anything by skipping the D30pro? Does the convenience of this Dac/Amp make up for it?
It's more than good enough for DA-9 I think.

Top Bottom