• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the 130 Hz problem appear in single speaker measurements? If not, I wonder on how much content this would be noticable. It would depend how often they mix to mono in that range. I've read that's typically done for bass but I'm not sure how high up that extends.
It doesn't appear in single measurements and thus isn't much audible, in contrary, filling up this peak makes sound muddy.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Attic V shape room dimension 7 meters (23 ft) x 4 meters (13 ft). Attice still underconstruction.

2N4rdvV.png

Did try most target curves in 95% of the cases the white flat target curve had te best (subjective) result for me.
ZRVBSZ0.jpg

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Attic V shape room dimension 7 meters (23 ft) x 4 meters (13 ft). Attice still underconstruction.

2N4rdvV.png

Did try most target curves in 95% of the cases the white flat target curve had te best (subjective) result for me.
ZRVBSZ0.jpg

How did you levitate that tom to its place near the ceiling? Can you similarly levitate all the frequencies below 300Hz?

I was just pondering trying out the MathAudio RoomEQ plugin for the first time to see how it does. Amazing coincidence that I scrolled down to your post at the same time.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you levitate that tom to its place near the ceiling? Can you similarly levitate all the frequencies below 300Hz?

I was just pondering trying out the MathAudio RoomEQ plugin for the first time to see how it does. Amazing coincidence that I scrolled down to your post at the same time.
Still i want too master REW to hear the difference. Mathaudio room eq is not only freeware incombination with foobar but most of all elegant easy to use software. It let me Discover my music collection again. Did not thought the difference is that big. However when you have a lousy room acoustics as i have any flat corrected frequency respons will make a big difference. Hope you have a good linear measuring mic.

seamon

Raidho XT1 + Rel T5i Raw Measurements in my non treated room. The ~110Hz is a room resonance.

XT1.png

Measurements with Room Correction EQ:
XT1 after EQ.png

I might raise my Rel T5i level by a bit I guess

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
^ I bet kick drums are a REAL punch in the gut without correction. What is going on between 2K and 14K?

Cool looking speakers!
Raidho-X1-gallery-bigB-1.jpg

seamon

^ I bet kick drums are a REAL punch in the gut without correction. What is going on between 2K and 14K?

Cool looking speakers!
Raidho-X1-gallery-bigB-1.jpg
I think it's trying to follow the Harman Curve. Not sure

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I am wondering if the crossover point is ~2.2KHz, and you have broken tweeters?

That is definitely not a variation on the Harman curve. The Harman Curve typically tilts down ~5 to ~10dB gradually over the whole frequency spectrum. There are different takes on slope changes along the curve, but none look like what you have there.

Here is one take on the Harman Curve and the one I use (blue line):
Sample House Curve - Something Like Harman.png

seamon

I am wondering if the crossover point is ~2.2KHz, and you have broken tweeters?

That is definitely not a variation on the Harman curve. The Harman Curve typically tilts down ~5 to ~10dB gradually over the whole frequency spectrum. There are different takes on slope changes along the curve, but none look like what you have there.

Here is one take on the Harman Curve and the one I use (blue line):
View attachment 100356
So I moved the mic up by a bit and this happened.

L & R.png

Also this was the house curve I was looking at from this video

L + R.png

Speaker positioning is on the bad side as I just put these in so there's that too.

Edit: Legit not sure what is happening. Is this a phase issue?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
So I moved the mic up by a bit and this happened.

View attachment 100367

Also this was the house curve I was looking at from this video

View attachment 100368

Speaker positioning is on the bad side as I just put these in so there's that too.

Edit: Legit not sure what is happening. Is this a phase issue?

Can you show us a phase chart of L, R, and stereo? You will need to measure a sweep to show phase.

(FYI, the emerging standard on this site is to use a 50dB scale on the Y axis for consistency.)

That Target curve is one of the most extreme I have seen. (Cannot watch the video right now, but I have to assume it is wrong, if that curve is their recommendation.) I think I see a -13dB drop from 1KHz to 20KHz. That should be more like -4dB.

Here is a thread that contains extensive information on target curves. It is definitely worth a read:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ut-room-curve-targets-room-eq-and-more.10950/

Post 11 shows a graph from Toole's excellent book. The solid black line or the wide dashed line are what you want. The wide dashed line exhibits a ~ -10dB decrease from 20Hz to 20KHz.

Last edited:

seamon

Can you show us a phase chart of L, R, and stereo? You will need to measure a sweep to show phase.

(FYI, the emerging standard on this site is to use a 50dB scale on the Y axis for consistency.)

That Target curve is one of the most extreme I have seen. (Cannot watch the video right now, but I have to assume it is wrong, if that curve is their recommendation.) I think I see a -13dB drop from 1KHz to 20KHz. That should be more like -4Hz.

Here is a thread that contains extensive information on House Curves. It is definitely worth a read:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ut-room-curve-targets-room-eq-and-more.10950/

Post 11 shows a graph from Toole's excellent book. The solid black line or the wide dashed line are what you want. The wide dashed line exhibits a ~ -10dB decrease from 20Hz to 20KHz.
Alright so I toed in the right speaker towards the center and this is what happened
OLD vs NEW
XT1 Toe IN.png

Compared to default REW target curve
L + R Default Curve.png

Phase
Old

Old Phase.png

New Phase
New Phase.png

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Edit: I'll get L and R phase charts with the new config.

L Channel Phase:
L Phase.png

R Channel Phase

R Phase.png

L+R Phase
L + R Phase.png

Attachments

• L + R Phase.png
    L + R Phase.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Desperately need subs with those it would seem.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have subs but just dialed in very low, I'll increase sub gain once I have this sorted out
Ah, that would make sense why below 100 Hz is missing. Didn't see any in the picture you posted.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Before we try to unpack phase...

It appears those speakers have narrow directivity, based on your graph of the one that is toed in. We can work with what that produced.

Toe them both in toward the listening position and re-measure in stereo Keep changing the toe of both speakers, from straight ahead to just past the listening position, while logging physical dimensions, until you determine the best position, return them to that position, and post that FR graph.

(We spend the time to get positioning as perfect as we can, then focus on correction.)

Also, I have attached a copy of the House curve file I use, which you may find helpful.

Attachments

• Harman -10dB.txt
    41 bytes · Views: 107
Last edited:

seamon

Before we try to unpack phase...

It appears those speakers have narrow directivity, based on your graph of the one that is toed in. We can work with what that produced.

Toe them both in toward the listening position and re-measure in stereo Keep changing the toe of both speakers, from straight ahead to just past the listening position, while logging physical dimensions, until you determine the best position, return them to that position, and post that FR graph.

(We spend the time to get positioning as perfect as we can, then focus on correction.)

Also, I have attached a copy of the House curve file I use, which you may find helpful.
How do I determine best position?
Also looks like these speakers might not be the best idea for what I was using them for(Extreme Nearfield Listening)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
How do I determine best position?
Also looks like these speakers might not be the best idea for what I was using them for(Extreme Nearfield Listening)

To determine the best position, in terms of toe, you start with them pointed straight ahead (which you would not do for nearfield), take a stereo measurement, toe them in an incremental amount (few degrees), take another stereo measurement, toe them in another increment, take another stereo measurement, etc. Look back at the measured data, return the speakers to that amount of toe that produced the best measurement, then start working on correction.

For nearfield listening, it is often best to choose speakers designed for that purpose, which are usually studio monitors. Genelec and Neumann are highly recommended if in your budget.

seamon

To determine the best position, in terms of toe, you start with them pointed straight ahead (which you would not do for nearfield), take a stereo measurement, toe them in an incremental amount (few degrees), take another stereo measurement, toe them in another increment, take another stereo measurement, etc. Look back at the measured data, return the speakers to that amount of toe that produced the best measurement, then start working on correction.

For nearfield listening, it is often best to choose speakers designed for that purpose, which are usually studio monitors. Genelec and Neumann are highly recommended if in your budget.
These are best I could do in my acoustically hostile environment(monitors on both sides of speakers).
XT1 Best Toe In.png

Best Phase.png

muad

These are best I could do in my acoustically hostile environment(monitors on both sides of speakers).
View attachment 100392

View attachment 100393

Try a moving mic measurement of the left and right speakers. It will give you more accurate picture of what the speakers are doing around your whole listening position. A single point measurement only reflects that single point.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/mmm-mouving-measurements-method-which-one-is-best-with-rew.6360/

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Raidho XT1 + Rel T5i Raw Measurements in my non treated room. The ~110Hz is a room resonance.

View attachment 100336

Measurements with Room Correction EQ:
View attachment 100337

I might raise my Rel T5i level by a bit I guess

Whoah! That's a really strange looking response. The weird fall and rise in the treble makes me wonder if something might be wrong with the mic or mic calibration? What mic are you using?

Ignoring the measured response, do you enjoy the sound?

Top Bottom